What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Magnetic Compass Location?

Craig23

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I'm thinking of mounting a magnetic compass in the upper corner of my RV-8 panel, and I wanted to hear from people who mounted their compasses in similar locations. I'm worried about interference from the roll bar. Any feedback?

I mounted my compass in the upper righthand corner of my 7 panel. It works fine. Make sure to keep any electrical wires and steel away from it.

Compass

Hi All,

I'm thinking of mounting a magnetic compass in the upper corner of my RV-8 panel, and I wanted to hear from people who mounted their compasses in similar locations. I'm worried about interference from the roll bar. Any feedback?

Craig:

Try moving the compass around in front of the panel. Note any big swings in direction. These would be the places "not" to mount it.

I mounted mine in the lower center, figuring that location would require the least adjustment of the compensating magnets to keep it giving a good reading.

I put mine on the top shelf of my tool box,used the dynon for heading indication!:p

I bought a previously flying, but currently disassembled -8. This airplane had the compass mounted on the glareshield. I'm doing the same thing as 174Bob&Nancy. I removed the compass, and will be relying on the Dynon EFIS D-100 for magnetic heading information. If the EFIS throws craps on me the GPS will get me where I need to go. If you have this sort of setup in your airplane you might want to consider it.

Whisky Compass

I put mine on the top shelf of my tool box,used the dynon for heading indication!:p

I considered this too, but I figured that if the electrons decided to exit the plane "en-mass", I'd have the airspeed, altimiter and whisky compass working without the aid of said electrons. I figured that with a Sectional and the above instruments, I could find my way to an airport and land.

Craig:

Mine is on the far left side, mid-panel. There's a picture in my write-up in the Virtual Hangar section. Look for Chris Pratt's RV-8. It's an old post so you'll probably need to go back a year or 18 months to see it.

I've experienced no problem with the location.

Chris

Not near the hobbs meter

Don't place it anywhere near the hobbs meter. I had to relocate my hobbs meter as it was causing major interference. Every little 'tick' on meter caused the compass to swing. :)

Hi All,

Back