Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 10-01-2018, 02:16 PM

Default Slick LASAR magnetos and ignition box

Does anyone know anything about this.
I hear the SLICK LASAR magnetos are obsolete and am trying to figure out if they can be replaced either regular slick Magnetos.
My airplane has a LASAR ignition box behind the firewall and the mags hook up to the box.
Thanks!
Lee
Old 10-01-2018, 05:10 PM

I do not know if they have been discontinued but GE quadrupled the price some time after they purchased UNISON a number of years ago. It is my opinion that they want out of the LASAR business but do not want to cut people off by just stopping support. Raise the price enough and people will go somewhere else.

Some of the parts in the LASAR mag is common with the Slick mag according to the high priced Factory service manuals and parts lists. IF one is familiar with and willing to work on their own, it should be possible to keep them running for at least one or two engine overhauls.

I have collected enough parts to keep my LASAR system running till I need a new engine. No I do not work on others LASAR mags but have torn into a few cheap non-working LASAR mags that I acquired for spare parts. The amount of time I put into three no good LASAR mags could have purchased one new one IF I were to have been paid a fair wage. One of the three had a broken wire between connector and relay that intermittent touched and worked. One had cold solder joints on the rectilinear capacitors and the capacitors fell off the circuit board. Another had a fast-on connector that connects the points being loose with poor connection. All in all, it was my opinion that the failures that I have seen were all poor workmanship.
3,300+ hours
Where is N157GS
Building RV-8 S/N: 80012

To most people, the sky is the limit.
To those who love aviation, the sky is home.
Old 10-01-2018, 05:58 PM

Aerosport Power in Kamloops, B.C. works on LASAR mags. They do the 500 hour inspections for about $300 USD per mag, which includes the basic replacement parts, plus shipping. https://www.aerosportpower.com

I have used them in the past, and a friend used them earlier this year, and we were both happy with their service.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B, N564NS - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f, N61MP - No longer owned
Old 10-01-2018, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV8JD View Post
Aerosport Power in Kamloops, B.C. works on LASAR mags. They do the 500 hour inspections for about $300 USD per mag, which includes the basic replacement parts, plus shipping. https://www.aerosportpower.com

I have used them in the past, and a friend used them earlier this year, and we were both happy with their service.
Ditto that!