What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Can you ID these nut plates

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I bought some bulk aviation hardware a while back off of ebay and there are loads of nut plates. I want to attach nut plates to my Dynon pitot controller so I can screw it to the wing rib, I would then only need holes in my wing ribs, the deal is the controller needs to be on the flush side of the rib, side without the bumps. At any rate these little gems would work just fine but I don't know what they are made out of and if it is compatible with aluminum. I don't know if you can see in the picture but there is a white coating inside on the threads. These appear to take AN-3 bolts, which is kind of big for my application, I may just order what I need. But I wanted to see if anyone could tell me what this type of nut plate is sued for, and what it is made of.

Identity of lil' nutplate.

I bought some bulk aviation hardware a while back off of ebay and there are loads of nut plates. I want to attach nut plates to my Dynon pitot controller so I can screw it to the wing rib, I would then only need holes in my wing ribs, the deal is the controller needs to be on the flush side of the rib, side without the bumps. At any rate these little gems would work just fine but I don't know what they are made out of and if it is compatible with aluminum. I don't know if you can see in the picture but there is a white coating inside on the threads. These appear to take AN-3 bolts, which is kind of big for my application, I may just order what I need. But I wanted to see if anyone could tell me what this type of nut plate is used for, and what it is made of.

MS21087-3, 10-32 side by side mini nutplate, silver plated, cres.
(CRES)= Corrosion Resistant Steel

page 171 of PB5.1 GAHco. Reference Book, or page 168 of ref book 5

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/nutplates.pdf

Print these out RV'ers have frequent nutplate questions.

-----------------------------------------------------
Or order one of these Postpaid within the US.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp?alternate=PB+REF+BOOK

Last edited:
Good for Aluminum?

page 171 of PB5.1 GAHco. Reference Book, or page 168 of ref book 5

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/images/pdf/nutplates.pdf

Print these out RV'ers have frequent nutplate questions.

-----------------------------------------------------
Or order one of these Postpaid within the US.

http://www.gen-aircraft-hardware.com/store.asp?alternate=PB+REF+BOOK

Wow thanks for the reference, I have a lot more nut plates to identify. So would silver plating work for aluminum parts. Looking at the specification this looks like it is to be used in hotter environments.

After looking at the price I think I got a deal on this surplus hardware, butene these nut plates and some cherry rivets I think I paid for the whole lot!

Cheers
Mike

Tom,
When you state "silver plated" do you mean that the nutplates are plated with actual silver, or a corrosion resistant silver colored metal (maybe cadmium)? Just wondering. I've seen CRES nut plates that were made from stainless steel and also cadmium plated steel.
Charlie Kuss

Silver it is!

Tom,
When you state "silver plated" do you mean that the nutplates are plated with actual silver, or a corrosion resistant silver colored metal (maybe cadmium)? Just wondering. I've seen CRES nut plates that were made from stainless steel and also cadmium plated steel.
Charlie Kuss

Argh matey,:cool: they be real silver, an just a little more precious.

Compatability.

Wow thanks for the reference, I have a lot more nut plates to identify. So would silver plating work for aluminum parts. Looking at the specification this looks like it is to be used in hotter environments.

After looking at the price I think I got a deal on this surplus hardware, butene these nut plates and some cherry rivets I think I paid for the whole lot!

Cheers
Mike

They are typically for stainless structures when they are silver plated and that works well with high heat and corrosion prone areas.

I would not use them directly on un-primed aluminum in a critical structure, but I have seen them used in seaplane structures that are primed or coated well.

If we could get a metallurgist / materials engineer to chime in, we all could get the real scoop?

Back