What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 Electric Flap Motor

8317R

My RV6 flap system was manufactured in the early 2000's. Since 09 when it was licensed I get about 3 doz cycles before the motor quits. Yes, we land with no flaps, adds a little excitement. Take the motor apart, clean the brushes and commutator and it is good for another 3 doz cycles. Does anyone have a fix for this other than replace the motor. The original manufacture of the motor does not support this model anymore and only wants to sell me a new motor.

My RV6 flap system was manufactured in the early 2000's. Since 09 when it was licensed I get about 3 doz cycles before the motor quits. Yes, we land with no flaps, adds a little excitement. Take the motor apart, clean the brushes and commutator and it is good for another 3 doz cycles. Does anyone have a fix for this other than replace the motor. The original manufacture of the motor does not support this model anymore and only wants to sell me a new motor.
There was a time when the flap motor assembly was manufactured with too much grease. That grease migrates and fouls the motor. Removing the excess grease usually fixes this issue.

Get a new one

Mine did that a number of time, I took it apart and cleaned it a number of times, then I ordered a new one. It came full of grease. I cleaned it real good before installing it and it has worked great ever since.

No matter how good I cleaned the first one it keep doing it.

My flap motor was shipped in '00. Based upon all of the comments here, I fully disassembled the gear section of the unit and cleaned it. I left only what I felt was an appropriate amount of grease (far less than the guy/gal at the factory felt was appropriate). 400 hours without a problem.

When you cleaned the motor, did it have signs of grease? If so, take apart the gear section and remove all of the excess as well as degreasing the entire motor and it's housing.

Larry

Last edited:
Bobby,
My motor flap has quit definitely. Do you remember where did you buy a new one?
Thanks in advance,
Santi-Spain

I just bought one

My -6A flap motor gave up, so I ordered a new one --Usher Precision Manufacturing -- 503-992-0015 Tell them what you have -- they are familiar with the issue. I believe their part no. 9234L464-R1

I also ordered some repair parts from Motion Systems Corp. --732-222-1800 - brushes assembly 79633-004---

Next time I will order the new system that is advertised on the forum -- will require a little modification to the bracket holding the flap system, but I think would be well worth it.

Ron

Back