What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GA 56 Forward of Windscreen

rv8gibbo

Well Known Member
I'm planning some coax runs for GPS, Com's etc and I would like to know if a GA 56 antenna would fit between the windscreen fairing in the center and the aft side of the forward baggage door? I'm running the GA 56 to start with until I can afford the 20 A. Is there a minimum coax legnth between the G3X screen and the G 56 Antenna itself?

Many thanks
Gibbo

Yes.

We put our GPS antenna on top of the skin, just about in the middle of the baggage door hinge and maybe an inch or two to the left of the hinge line. This place work very well and your eye does not see it in flight. With the G3X touch we have installed it is a sort run from the back of the GDU-460 out to the antenna. I do not remember the recommendation of how long a coax run should be limited to, but I have seen them up to maybe 10 foot and working quite well. Most of the OEM GPS makers will give you a recommended length in their install manuals.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

We put our GPS antenna on top of the skin, just about in the middle of the baggage door hinge and maybe an inch or two to the left of the hinge line. This place work very well and your eye does not see it in flight. With the G3X touch we have installed it is a sort run from the back of the GDU-460 out to the antenna. I do not remember the recommendation of how long a coax run should be limited to, but I have seen them up to maybe 10 foot and working quite well. Most of the OEM GPS makers will give you a recommended length in their install manuals.
Hope this helps, Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Thanks Robert! Do you have a photo you could put up if you get a chance?

Cheers Gibbo

Sorry.

Thanks Robert! Do you have a photo you could put up if you get a chance?

Cheers Gibbo

I don't have a photo of this antenna and have not tried very hard as to post JPG's here on this site, sorry. It is not that hard to do. You take the antenna and place it on top of the skin where you like it. We moved it back just far enough to the left of the hinge line to be able to open the baggage door and lean it back a ways with-out having the door hit the antenna. I think we came up with a placement that was about halfway between the fire wall and the front edge of the wind screen. You can just eyeball that spot to suite yourself. Drill the holes to match the antenna base and use the gasket under the antenna to seal it to the skin. We put a 90* BNC adaptor right onto the antenna and cut one hole through the baggage rear wall just behind the stiffener that runs along the hinge line. Drill a couple three 3/16" hole in that stiffener and use tie-ties to hold the coax to it. Put a grommet or plastic bushing in the baggage wall and send the wire right in the back of the instrument panel. Leave a loop behind the GDU-460 for service and you are good to go. Putting it outside like this will keep it away from the heat and oil and vibration of being inside the engine compartment. Put it out in the open on top and in front of your line of travel for best reception and you will find that there is little drag penalty at that spot along with the fact your eye does not pick it up while you are in flight. Just two pennies for the pot.
Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

No worries Rob thanks for your help I will wait until I have the canopy cut and fairing installed before I can work out exactly where I want it, I'm just making sure it will work in that position so I haven't got to allow for extra coax elsewhere.

Cheers Gibbo

Right track

No worries Rob thanks for your help I will wait until I have the canopy cut and fairing installed before I can work out exactly where I want it, I'm just making sure it will work in that position so I haven't got to allow for extra coax elsewhere.

Cheers Gibbo

You got it. You will find that it is not that hard to map out these wire and mount, runs and spots after you have the structure together. Laying and attaching wires with clamps or tie-ties is best done one you are that far along. You will be better able to adjust your mount locations once you have a structure in front of you. Many times where onc wire or mount point is intended to go will affect another item you wish to go in the picture as well and you will want to trial fit them as you go anyway.
Keep stirring that red dust and you will get there. Yours, R.E.A. III #80888

Back