What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cab-o-sil

It is an agent that changes the viscosity, making it less runny---------used to keep the epoxy from running off or sagging.

It is often used with either flox, or micro.

Flox is used to add bulk or thicken the epoxy to a putty like state, and it greatly enhances the strength of the mixture. Very hard to sand when set up. Consistency of the mixture can be varied as needed to do the job at hand.

Micro is also used to bulk or thicken, but it is not very good in the strength arena----------but it is lightweight and easy to sand. Consistency of the mixture can also be varied as needed to do the job at hand, very often mixed quite "dry" as a filler.

Last edited:
Reference please?

I don't know if it is carcinogenic, but it is silica, as the name implies, and that is not good for your lungs. Silicosis is the disease? I am no expert so please research it. But my understanding is that you don't want to breath it and it is super light and will suspend itself in air very easily. Don't sneeze near an open bag!

A3

http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9923220

This says it's classified A3 but I'm not sure how carcinogenic that is.

As was stated, silica is nasty stuff. Don't breath it.

A3 Confirmed animal carcinogen with unknown relevance to humans: The agent is carcinogenic in experimental animals at a relatively high dose, by route(s) of administration, at site(s), of histologic type(s), or by mechanism(s) that may not be relevant to worker exposure. Available epidemiologic studies do not confirm an increased risk of cancer in exposed humans. Available evidence does not suggest that the agent is likely to cause cancer in humans except under uncommon or unlikely routes or levels of exposure.

The overdosed mice/rats suffered... :rolleyes:

However, I wouldn't breathe the stuff...

Back