What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fire retardant spray

kaweeka

Well Known Member
I saw this on Amazon today. I didn't know there was such a product but, when thinking about placing carpet for interior trim, would this work, or more precisely, be an acceptable alternative to aviation grade fabric?

No-Burn Fabric Fire Protection
4.4 out of 5 stars 166 customer reviews | 55 answered questions
Price: $30.14 | FREE Same-Day
Delivered today for FREE with qualifying orders over $35. Details
In Stock.
Get it TODAY, March 10. Order within 4 hrs 37 mins and choose Same-Day Delivery at checkout. Details
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.
Spray on interior carpet, draperies and curtains including upholstered items made of natural or synthetic textiles.
Transparent product packaged in ready-to-use quart container; 32 ounce quart covers 75 square feet.
Certified to meet CDPH/EHLB/Standard Method Vl.1 (Sect. 01350) for low emissive coatings.
Certified to meet ASTM E84, UL 723, NFPA 703 (Class A FS/SD rating), NFPA 701, Technical Bulletin 117 (TB117).
Approved and registered by the California State Fire Marshal as flame retardant product.

? See more product details

Maybe buy it and test the selected and sprayed fabric per FAR 25.823?

Be aware that there are alternative treatments that include borite chemicals (such as a borax solution) that you could test also. Google can provide borax instructions.

Thanks Bill! That's what I love about this group, I can always learn something. I will test these and place a report.

Might be time for Professor Horton to get out the flame thrower again;):eek::D

P8160005Cropped_zpsfeb1796e.jpg

Last edited:
I saw this on Amazon today. I didn't know there was such a product but, when thinking about placing carpet for interior trim, would this work, or more precisely, be an acceptable alternative to aviation grade fabric?

No-Burn Fabric Fire Protection
Spray on interior carpet, draperies and curtains including upholstered items made of natural or synthetic textiles.
Transparent product packaged in ready-to-use quart container; 32 ounce quart covers 75 square feet.
Certified to meet CDPH/EHLB/Standard Method Vl.1 (Sect. 01350) for low emissive coatings.
Certified to meet ASTM E84, UL 723, NFPA 703 (Class A FS/SD rating), NFPA 701, Technical Bulletin 117 (TB117).
Approved and registered by the California State Fire Marshal as flame retardant product.

? See more product details

As experimentals, we're not required to use fire retardant fabrics, which is not to say it's a bad idea. "Aviation grade" fabric fire resistance usually means FAR 25.853. I have not compared 25.853 and Appendix F with the standards listed in the ad.

However, be realistic. It does not mean that treated fabric doesn't burn. The aviation standard only requires that the material extinguishes itself within 15 seconds after the heat source is removed, the heat source being rather small, like a Bunsen burner. Think little Johnny playing with his daddy's cigarette lighter back in Coach. Treated fabric or carpet in contact with a heat source you can't remove (red hot patch on a firewall, or flame after an engine fire melts the belly skin just aft of the firewall, for example), may burn very well indeed.

I have used this stuff -- it works

I wanted to put some padding in my baggage floor ---- I bought the material and decided I wanted to add some fire protection ---- I took a couple of samples of the material -- one, I added the fire retardant to, the other had nothing on it. The fire retardant material actually did work.

Ron

Is there a link to the actual product?

It would be interesting to see an SDS for it to see what it contains. My money is on some sort of phosphate compound.

Back