What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I can see light thru the wing tip.

Barneybc12d

Well Known Member
ixw0hx.jpg

After coating the tip with epoxy and sanding to fill pin holes and smooth ruff edges, I noticed that I can see light where the 2 halves were joined. The fiberglass is visible, but not exposed. Is this normal? I am thinking that it was like that when delivered.

Thanks

After coating the tip with epoxy and sanding to fill pin holes and smooth ruff edges, I noticed that I can see light where the 2 halves were joined. The fiberglass is visible, but not exposed. Is this normal? I am thinking that it was like that when delivered.

Thanks

Either the gel coat was light in that area or you sanded it away. No problem unless you're not planning to paint, in which case the UV will eventually damage the fiberglass.

It is normal.

Normal - the tip is made in two halves and then bonded together. There is no gelcoat on the bond line. They are lightly sprayed with some primer, and it does not seem to stick well, so, sand and prime with a good primer before painting.

Thin ??

Barney,
Is the fiberglass thin in that area? (Tap with a coin.) If it is thin in the seam area, you could reinforce the inside with a small piece of fiberglass cloth or tape and epoxy. Sand the surface first. It might be a heartbreak if a thin spot becomes a stress crack in the new paint job.
- Roger

It will probably be a good bond. If you look at fiberglass pieces without gel-coat (wheel pants, gear fairings), you will see that they are translucent. When the gel-coated halves are bonded together, the seam line will be translucent as well. I have not heard of any RVs with glass separating on the seams; mine are flying since 2008 and no problems, even when one touched the ground during my nosewheel incident. A little rash from the contact but no splitting of the seams.

Back