What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crane/Lear Romec rotary fuel pump

Pheonix137

Hi All,

I recently acquired an engine fitted with a rotary fuel pump on the accessory case, as opposed to the standard diaphragm pump I am used to.

Not being familiar with these, I was wondering if anyone has operational experience with these pumps and could tell me if they are worth using on an RV? Any problems to look out for?

Lear Romec Pump

What engine is it on? The rotary pump is fairly common on engines like the IO-540-L1B5, and some of our parallel head engine customers who run very high compression (read: race pilots) like to use the rotary pump with turbo lines and nozzles. You can certainly use the rotary pump, but it's expensive to overhaul, whereas a diaphragm pump is around $400.

This one is on an HIO-360E1AD which has been converted to A/C use. If the race guys use them, is it a case of superior reliability or greater adjustability that makes them preferred?

Hmmmm. I never knew there was an alternative to the standard diagphram pump. This would fit an O-320?

I'm about to replace my fuel pump due to slow pressure build-up and I think it is leaking oil from the diaphragm edges (and not from the accessory case gasket). I wonder if the rotary pumps are more reliable. Any links or pics to see what these rotary pumps look like?

High/Low Press Rotary?

I am running an O-320H2AD in my -4, and currently run 2 electric pumps, and no mechanical ( one primary and one boost/AUX) because the H2AD diaphram pump mount is on the top front of the case and would require a big blister in the cowl. I have pondered running a rotary pump off the vac pad, but they are typically high pressure, and I'm carbureted and only need a few PSI...Id love to hear if anyone is running a rotary that is low pressure.

there is a rotary fuel pump used with carbed engines that had the Rajay turbo conversion. It's still low pressure like the diaphragm pump it replaces.

Expensive to overhaul.

Martin Induction Systems

If you haven't done so, you guys should call Gene Martin at Martin Induction systems in Enid, OK. He was working on a solution to the cost of overhauling some of these high pressure pumps. I'm not sure how far along he is in the process, though.
Gene runs a certified repair station and is a great guy that knows his business. He also flies a Lancair so he is amateur built friendly. :) He may be able to point you in the right direction.
He also a great resource on "installation specific" carb issues in homebuilt aircraft.Check the contact info on his website. Tell him I sent you.

http://www.martininduction.com/

Joe

Back