What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Slick harness repair

Blain

Well Known Member
My harness has about 500 hours on it. Seems to be in good condition except for where the leads exit the cap. Not sure at what point this is and issue. Looks bad but does it require a repair?

It looks like the insulator is still good and therefore the center electrode, so no issue delivering the juice (these harnesses use metal center conductors that are pretty robust). The issue is the shielding. When the goal is to contain interference, you want both ends of the shield grounded. It looks like your getting only limited ground contact there and, in theory, throwing off more RF. If you are not noticing any noise or humming in your radio or intercom, it may not be an issue.

Larry

Didn't think about the shielding aspect. Although the other end is grounded to the spark plug, correct?

Didn't think about the shielding aspect. Although the other end is grounded to the spark plug, correct?

correct, but for keeping RF in, you want both ends of the shielding grounded. When you are trying to avoid RF getting in, you ground one end. With that said, I had a set of ACS wires that were auto style with no shielding and had no issues with noise.

Larry

Last edited:
Slick harness

This is a easy fix if you have the slick tooling. Most FBO's should have this repair kit. Can be done in place but better on the bench

Don Broussard

RV 9 rebuild in progress

This is a easy fix if you have the slick tooling. Most FBO's should have this repair kit. Can be done in place but better on the bench

Don Broussard

RV 9 rebuild in progress

Good idea. I'll ask around. Started here first.

Back