What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine probe sourcing question

219PB

Well Known Member
I need to purchase all of my Lycoming O-360 engine sensors. I plan to use a Dynon system and I see that they have a kit available. Are there different quality of sensors that justify purchasing from a specific vendor? Are all EGT sensors mounted with hose clamps? Is there other options on the CHT other than the bayonet 3/8-24 UNF??

Engine Sensor Kit for Skyview

I have the same question, but I haven't seen that Dynon has a pre-packaged kit of sensors ready to sell. I asked Dynon today and they sent me the installation manual for Skyview and said see pages 7-15, & 7-16. There are lots of sensors and transducers there. So how do you buy them? Ala carte?

If I'm going to use Skyview and installing an IO-360 with CS, isn't there a predefined kit of sensors available to buy so I can install them while engine is off?

thanks

Dynon EMSKIT-L4C (carbureted) or EMSKIT -L4F (injected) gives all you need except for the Fuel Flow Sensor which they sell separately.

I spoke with several individuals and I am going to purchase the ones from Dynon. I am going to purchase them alacart due to my installation of EFII components. I will not need all of the ones bundled in their kit.

Dynon EMS?

I spoke with several individuals and I am going to purchase the ones from Dynon. I am going to purchase them alacart due to my installation of EFII components. I will not need all of the ones bundled in their kit.

Paul - the P/N's of the sensors is how the Dynon SkyView is programmed to interpret the EMS data. For example; the Oil Sensor is either "100409-001" or "100409-000" for my kit. This probably is pulling a piece of data on the resistance values of each device so it can change ohms to degrees. If one chooses to use a generic oil sensor the temperature readings are not correlated to the EMS. (Garbage in, garbage out ... as we say in the computer world.)

In my case I selected the wrong p/n's for both the Oil Press and Fuel Press, or should say, "didn't bother to select anything, leaving the defaults" - and the resulting EFIS/EMS display showed incorrect results.

If you can resolve the issues with generic sensors, then it might require determining the OEM and sourcing directly.

I'm trying to figure this out, as I'm building a remote oil filter assembly and want to use a small after market oil temp sensor on the filter housing. Chief Aircraft offers a sensor in 1/8" npt (pipe thread) and an adapter to fit it to the 5/8"-18 port on the oil filter or strainer housings.
http://www.chiefaircraft.com/iss-dcn0201700k.html but does not state the resistance. It's an ISS brand, I think using the Stewart Warner system?
Temperature Senders, I think Lycoming uses the:
? Stewart Warner Scale
? 800-33 ohm
? 0 to 250?F
Oil Pressure Sender
? Stewart Warner Scale
? 240-33 ohm
? 0 to 100 psi
The temperature and pressure gages use variable resistance and Stewart Warner was the standard back in the day.
Van's sells an oil temp sensor with a part number that matches:
Temperature Sender 100-240F by Datcon p/n 02017-00.
For oil pressure senders, PN 411K, Scott McDaniels from Van's states: The normal resistance of this sender is the standard 30 - 240 (same as many of the other sensors such as fuel level, etc.) (240ohm at 0psi, 33.5ohm at 100psi)
It is normal for them to have a measured value that is off by a few ohms at one end of the range or the other.

Engine sensors

I just bought Dynons engine sensors. Except I bought the red cube from Aircraft Spruce. Dynon assured me this will all work and they include the cables. Now to start installing.

no need for the two red cube fuel flow meters with EFII, Robert has a conversion fuel comp box that goes to the Dynon, all electric, works on the principle of injector on time calculations like in your car, you can see a pic of it mounted on my sub panel. http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1745&page=173

Back