What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Overhauling a Lyc 540: Overhaul camshaft or buy new?

stringfellow

I accidentally typed "crankshaft" in the subject but my question is on what to do about the camshaft. (Fixed that, MJS)

New Lycoming 6-cyl camshaft = $1,111 + shipping from Aircraft Specialties.

Inspect, grind, Parkerize ~ $380 + shipping from Aircraft Specialties, at least as I read it in their fee schedule.

Is there any argument either way? It's always nice to have factory new components, but my cam looks really nice at 2,400 hours. No pitting or corrosion. Can't speak for any NDT inspection though. Is there any argument for a known quantity?

How is the grind performed anyway? They don't weld it up then grind it down do they?

Last edited by a moderator:
An experienced engine guy I trust suggested buying the "cam kit" from lycoming which includes the cam, followers, and hydraulic units, if I recall correctly.

Then you have the old stuff yellow tagged by a reputable shop and put it on Barnstormers or EBay.

This is his recommended path for building a solid engine while minimizing your cost.

I'm not an engine expert but have been told that a re-worked camshaft might require push rods of differing lengths.

Back