What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-1: Wheel Pant Help Needed!

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
One of the things missing completely from the RV-1 are the wheel pants ? we have no pants or brackets. All we have is what we can glean from pictures. Van is off flying in soaring competitions, so finding out where the original pants came from is probably a long-term quest. But I have faith that the members of this forum can help us out!

I am looking for someone (or a group of ?someones?) who might be willing to take charge of building up some wheel pants, attach brackets, etc ? and doing so before the end of the year. I would not be surprised if the original shells came off something else ? maybe even available from Wag Aero? In the spirit of the way in which van built this airplane (designing as he went), we are looking for mounts that work, not necessarily trying to figure out exactly how Van did it originally. Modern methods (ala current RV kits) would be fine.

This is something that could be worked on away from RV Central, then attached in a visit, so it might very well be a good project for those not located close to the DFW area. Please take a look at this picture to see if you recognize the shells, and if you are interested in volunteering for this effort, let me know! (We do have a paint shop lined up, so a finish ?ready for paint? is good enough!).

rv-1.jpg

Thanks,

Paul

Pants

Those look very much like the wheel pants that Van was selling before(and maybe for a while after) he got in the kit plane business. One suggestion would be to check the Sport Aviation ads from the time frame when the RV3 first showed up. I know he advertised wheel pants around that time. Another likely source is Rattray Aircraft in Beloit WI. They do not advertise but you can find them with a google search.

27N

N5827N was on the cover of Jan 1965 Sport Aviation. Available online on the new EAA website.

Wheel Pants

Paul,
I have an old set of wheel pants from my 6A and brackets if they will work. They are in good condition and never damaged.

We'll keep that in mind Kurt - thanks!

We have the old set of pants off of Louise's -6, but they are much slimmer than what appears in the old photos of the RV-1.

I like the idea of checking to see what might have been advertised in SA back then - I wouldn't be surprised if Van used something easily available.

Paul

Those look very much like the wheel pants that Van was selling before(and maybe for a while after) he got in the kit plane business. One suggestion would be to check the Sport Aviation ads from the time frame when the RV3 first showed up. I know he advertised wheel pants around that time. Another likely source is Rattray Aircraft in Beloit WI. They do not advertise but you can find them with a google search.

Jim is right!

It is not commonly known, but Van's Aircraft technically started out as an after market accessory company making fiberglass parts, though I don't think it was under the name Vans Aircraft (but I can't remember for sure). I remember seeing some old brochures and flyers many years ago, but I don?t remember the name that was on them. The primary business was producing wheel fairings for different aircraft (I think he held STC's for a number of models). Ironic I know, but the largest company of sheet metal airplane kits actually started out making composite parts.

Paul, Van may even have some lying around some where, so if you don't need them immediately you might want to hold off for a while and check with him.

Paul, Van may even have some lying around some where, so if you don't need them immediately you might want to hold off for a while and check with him.

Sounds like you just volunteered to be a Wheel Pant Procurement Offcier Scott! :D

Van was off soaring, last time I checked....maybe you can poke around in a back corner somewhere....;)

Sounds like you just volunteered to be a Wheel Pant Procurement Offcier Scott! :D

Van was off soaring, last time I checked....maybe you can poke around in a back corner somewhere....;)

Ahhh.... Ummm.... I guess I.... I guess I should have stayed out of it...

I will check on what might be available. If he has any they will probably be at the old shop in North Plains. Van is still soaring but I will check with him when he returns (not sure exactly when that will be though).

What is your time line for getting someone going on the install?

WHERE IT STARTED

May 1970 Sport Avaition Page 56. "cantiliver playboy" wings(plans)---cowl--- and pants. Vans Aircraft Rt2 B 187 Forest Grove. Picture of the RV1.
This is the only ad I've found so far-still searching

Back