What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron pushrods too shortF

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
ASsembling the wings. Everything going great until..........adjusting the left aileron.

The pushrod F-1064 LEFT SIDE ONLY is about 5/8" too short. RIght side is fine, and they are identical (in theory).

We can't find what is wrong. All the set-up dimensions check out.

We can screw out each bearing about 5/16 each leaving about 3/8 thread engagement at each end. Not enough I am thinking.

Any body have this problem?

I assume what you mean is the pushrod reach is 5/8" short, not the pushrod itself as you say the pushrods are of the correct length.

Perhaps some other verifications are in order. Check:
- The pushrods that connect the aileron bellcrank to the control stick assembly.
- The control stick linkages - are the control sticks parallel?
- Remember to clamp the elevators in neutral as if not, the non-linear pull of the elevator on the control stick linkage moves the ailerons.
- Do you have the pushrods problerly connected to the bell cranks.

As you point out, unscrewing the rod ends works but too much and you have thread engagement problems. If you do this, make both left and right pushrods the same length.

There is a lot of adjustment in the control stick linkage assembly as well.

Carl

Several options

As Carl pointed out, you have several places in the "chain" of linkages
to lengthen or shorten the push rods to achieve the distance needed in the last
linkage segment from the bell crank to the aileron.
provided your sticks are parallel and perpendicular to the pitch axis you can start by checking the first linkage to the bell crank in the wing root.
Provided those are according to plans you can further check the push rods to the wing bell crank and if those are according to plans your last push rod from the bell crank to the aileron should be a perfect fit without any issues on thread engagement.
Consult some local RV help if you still have issues.

If one pushrods is too short, or doesn't reach, I like to find one that will fix the problem by shortening. If that's not an option, then lengthening more than one by half as much each may serve the purpose also.

I should it possible that the wing root torque tube and bell crank is either built wrong or possibly on the wrong wing? Look at the plans page 23-6. The 5/16" spacer on the wrong side could very well be the 5/8" you are off.

Here is what I have checked

1) There is a simple jig used at the bellcrank out on the wing... check

2) The is a dimension called out on the plans of 2 9/32 from the attachment to the lever hole to first wing rib... check

3) The pushrod is to be initially built to 14 7/8.... check

NOTE: If I checked nothing else but 2 & 3.. that is where the pushrod fits. The pushrod fits between the stick (vertical) and the attachment lever (proper location). But it doesn't??

4) The ailerons are set at zero travel

5) The sticks are straight up and parallel.

Going back and re-checking everything.

Thanks guys...

Back