What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint

bob888

Well Known Member
Anyone have experience with a paint called WANDA, a product of AkzoNobel and less expensive than their more traditional urethane paints? One of the paint shops I have spoken with can save me $2000 if they use this paint but I wonder if it is really a bargain in the long run.

You want to avoid acrylic paints and the low cost may indicate it is not a poly. You want a polyurethane paint for it's long-term durability. Will your painter use other brands? I used Valspar and Southern Polyurethanes, but I sprayed myself. Cost is 1/4 of the major brands for comparable quality. I spent less than $1000 for all paint and primer, including interior. I can't speak highly enough of the SPI paint. A very good value. I have painted 1 plane and 5 cars with it.

Larry

Last edited:
If it's saving you $2000, then it would have to be about free, or better. I'm using Valspar Wattyl Colourthane Polyurethane. So far I've painted the interior and a few small pieces with it and it holds up really well. Because it is an industrial paint (they use it for painting boats, bulldozers and tractors here) it is sold in large volumes and is thus way cheaper than other options, but can still be applied just as lightly as any other paint if desired. The total cost of paint for two coats of polyurethane on the exterior of my RV-7 will be $300. I'm sure Valspar sells the same paint under some other name in the US.
Tom.

Have your painter check out UTECH single stage made by akzo-Nobel. I used the base coat/ clear on a 66 chevelle ss. Nice paint and holds up great.

Back