What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mountain waves - your stories, please!

David Johnson

Well Known Member
All,

The discussion on another thread about some nasty mountain wave turbulence got me thinking about this phenomenon. It would be interesting to hear some other stories from some of you about some of mother nature's roller coaster rides your RVs have survived.

Here is a shot taken from my back porch here in the bustling metropolis of Erie, CO. It shows a very well-defined cap cloud over the continental divide of the Colorado Front Range, along with a sausage style rotor cloud that stayed rolling stationary in one spot for the better part of a day as the winds howled at the surface. Classic setup for the famous chinook. Winds over the passes were perpendicular to the ridge line gusting beyond 70 knots and an airplane was flipped at BJC that afternoon.

rotor4.jpg

So let's hear it...what's the worst you've encountered over the high terrain?

Dave

Here is ours

Lenticular cloud several miles long over a long ridge coming back from Durango Co to Phoenix, AZ. Major turbulence. Ground speed wend down to 90 mph. Have to turn away from it and fly a long ways around it.

DSCN8646R.JPG

Refer to my thread about the "Buddy Holly" flight here - http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=13475

These shots were taken the next day while snow-skiing in Purgatory (Durango, CO). We flew home that night with 40+ knots on the tail.

http://imageshack.us/
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4545/clouds16rs.png
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/2746/clouds27ok.png
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/584/clouds37pz.png

On the flight up for this trip, coming into ABQ from the east was rather interesting. We had about 50 knots on the nose and I was seeing a rather pronounced slow mountain wave with about a 4-minute period. At the top end I had to pull back on the throttle to keep the engine below redline, with the nose down at a rather alarming angle and airspeed edging into the yellow, and we were still climbing. On the bottom, I was at Vy and full power, and still losing 700-900 fpm. I finally called Center and advised "Unable to maintain assigned altitude", put it in a Vy climb and left it there for the duration until we crossed the pass just east of ABQ at 11,200, about 3000 AGL.

Last edited by a moderator:
story

Well, once upon a time...

I departed Jeffco (BJC) IFR due to some upslope poor visability that had low ceilings. About 1500 agl (which would be 7000 msl) I broke out into a beautiful clear blue sky with fresh snow on the peaks, and headed southwest toward Pagosa Springs. As I climbed, I picked up stronger and stronger winds out of the west. Soon I was riding the waves up and down. I have a long standing policy of accepting any free lift I get in these conditions, and as the westerlys passed 50 knots (forecast was for 35) I knew I needed all I could get. As I started over the ridge SE of Kenosha pass (called the Tarryall mtns) I was at 15,000 msl. The ridge is about 12,000. I hit a real strong down part of the wave, and started down. Usually I will just maintain Va it these conditions and hope to fly through it. Also, the C-180 I was flying climbs pretty well at Va. Well, I just kept going down. As the terrain kept getting more detailed, I eventually found my self at Vy. I ended up about 500 agl (a 2500 ft loss) before I flew out of the downdraft and into the next updraft. This in a very good climbing airplane. It all happened in about a minute.

Fortunately, the rest of the trip was easy. I was toast.

John

A friend with an O-360 powered RV6A related the following story to me a couple years ago. I hope I have it basically correct. Crossing the Rockies at about 12,000 feet, he encountered severe descending air. He applied full power, fine pitch and established best climb speed. He was still descending at 500 fpm.

He altered heading to cross the ridge line at an angle to no avail. All the while he was in severe turbulence and was really concerned the the airplane would come apart. Even with the straps tight, he was hurled into the canopy several times, knocking his headset off and stuff was flying around the cockpit, the wings were flexing like crazy. He had nothing to hold on to with his spare hand. He could not read the instruments on the panel.

The airplane was heading towards the trees after about 10 minutes of this and he thought he would be impacting them momentarily. Luckily descending air stops at the ground and at about 200 feet ATL (above tree level), the aircraft stopped descending.

He flew home with new respect for mountain flying, humbled and scared to say the least. Inspection later showed some cracked paint on the wings but no structural damage. Strong airplane.

If you think your RV performance can get you out of anything, learn from this one.

:eek:

Excellent. These stories are just the sort of thing I was hoping for. Good stuff to learn from, and I welcome more.

I've taken mountain instruction from the Colorado Pilots Association and have spent considerable time with a local "old salt" flying around up there as well. One thing I've seen over the past few years is that there are different definitions of mountain flying. To some, it's crossing the ridges at 3000 AGL. To others, it's flying the canyons and heading to backcountry strips. I'm experienced with the former but plan to head to McCall with the 182 this summer to get the latter. Precise airspeed control and advanced planning/knowledge are all vital to heading into backcountry strips.

Anyway, one of the things I've found works in a strong downdraft (and others recommend) is to actually point the nose down and fly through it, believe it or not. It's counter-intuitive, but it minimizes the amount of time you spend in the wave of descending air. Also- cross the passes at least 2000' AGL and at a 45 degree angle, and you'll have the option of turning to lowering terrain and point the nose down to fly out of it if you get caught in a severe downdraft. Many folks here probably know this stuff already, but maybe some folks don't, so it seems worth mentioning it.

Dave

Oh, one more thing. A T210 went down near Ouray, CO last year, I believe it was. It was winter and there was a strong westerly wind blowing across the San Juan Range- the most rugged and sharp in the state. As the pilot descended below the ridge line on the east side to set up for a landing, he apparently encountered severe or extreme turbulence and broke up in flight. They found the wreckage scattered across 2 miles. I've crossed the Rockies in a T210 when the winds were howling, but in the flight levels. Even there we got lots of up and down motion, but no severe or extreme turbulence. It's the eddy currents surrounding the terrain that shake the dust out of the carpets...or worse. :eek:

Last edited:
Be Selective

Dave,
Choose the weather you fly in. Flight Service is pretty good at predicting severe turbulence, based on both winds aloft and pilot reports. Some days are better spent in the car!

David Johnson said:
Anyway, one of the things I've found works in a strong downdraft (and others recommend) is to actually point the nose down and fly through it, believe it or not. It's counter-intuitive, but it minimizes the amount of time you spend in the wave of descending air.
This is a good point that Sparky Imeson makes in his "Mountain Flying Bible and Handbook of Flight Operations." Although it is counter-intuitive, when caught in a downdraft you should not drop to Vy or Vx. You should maintain as high a forward speed as possible and try to fly out of it. (Kind of like how a swimmer gets out of a riptide--don't swim against the current, swim across it!) Of course, this assumes that your not getting knocked around by significant turbulence at the same time. If the latter is true, Va is what you'll probably have to live with.

Even if you never intend to do any mountain flying other than flying 3000 feet over the top of the mountains, at least reading a good mountain flying book should be a basic minimum requirement of flying anywhere there are mountains. If you do intend to go lower, I'd defintely second the "get some good mountain flying instruction" advice. I kind of think it is, by far, the best training you can do to make yourself a better pilot. You will really get to know the airplane and the limits of its (and your) capabilities.

Last edited:
David Johnson said:
Anyway, one of the things I've found works in a strong downdraft (and others recommend) is to actually point the nose down and fly through it, believe it or not. It's counter-intuitive, but it minimizes the amount of time you spend in the wave of descending air. Also- cross the passes at least 2000' AGL and at a 45 degree angle, and you'll have the option of turning to lowering terrain and point the nose down to fly out of it if you get caught in a severe downdraft. Many folks here probably know this stuff already, but maybe some folks don't, so it seems worth mentioning it.
Yep - I've heard not to try and climb in the downdraft, to keep the speed up and get out of the sink - don't sailplane pilots use the same technique? If it works for them without an engine, it should work for us with one ;) I've also heard to cross ridges at 1000' above it per 10 kt of wind aloft.

Only bad Mountain Wave encounter I've had was as PAX on a CO 737-800 around the Blue Mountains, I'm guessing at FL380. You could feel the airplane pitching and climbing / descending in the wave along with thrust changes, each cycle about 20 seconds in period, with the amplitude of the wave getting stronger with each one. Climb, then sink and horrendous turbulence in the trough of the wave - smacked my head onto the cabin wall more than once. Knowing it was wave and that it was going to get worse before it got better was pretty unnerving. Those guys earned their pay that day.

I'll second the recommendation for Sparky's book. I read it cover-to-cover several times before taking my first trip up to LXV. Pointing the nose down in a downdraft is counter intuitive, but it proved to be the fastest way out when I hit a nasty downdraft between Leadville and Buena Vista in a Tcraft.

Interesting picture

Haven't flown through any of it but here is a picture from the ground. I loved it but didn't have the camera to take a high quality picture. I really liked all the layers that were formed I love lenticular clouds (From the ground that is :))

dsc017833tq.jpg

CAT at 8,500. "G" meter recoreded +5.5. I forget what negative was but my head hit the canopy kind of hard as I remember my head hurt.

I was using Flight Following With Joshia Approach and was North Nortwest of PMD VORTAC heading toward KTSP in cruise flight at WOT and 2,500 RPM. Was somewere between 163 and 166 KTAS.

When it hit, I pulled the throttle and remember going up 1,500' above my crusing altitude. When it was all over, I was doing about 90 KIAS and was 1,000' below the altitude that I started at. I notified Joshia Approach what happened.

I now slow down more than a lot of others in turbulance because of this experience. Yes Tehachapi is known for turbulance, updafts, mountain waves, and great sailplane flying.

17,500 ft over Wrightwood...

How about flying with 4 or 5 other sailplanes at 15,000 to 17,500 ft over Wrightwood, just 10 miles or so outside the Los Angeles Class B Mode C veil area watching jets below you go into Ontario airport...

No transponders, and knowing we don't show up even as secondary radar returns since we have zero ground speed (Moving Target Discrimination is standard) .... I tried calling LA Center on the frequency shown on the sectional, and they wouldn't answer or acknowledge - perhaps because of the "glider" in the call sign.... :)

I called FSS, and they said they would pass a warning on to the Center, but I've always wondered if anyone knew we were there.... :eek:

A rare Mojave wave flying day in summer with a SSW wind high over the San Bernadino mountains, but easy thermals to climb on the desert side.

The usual Mojave wave is created by the Tehachapis and Sierras like Gary S. mentioned, with spring being the best time.... I got my Diamond Altitude soaring badge directly over the Mojave airport with a gain of 16,600+ ft from a 1800 ft tow to the rotor... blowing like h^&* on Hiway 395 at Mojave and calm at California City for landing... just perfect... :)

Gil in Tucson... but flew sailplanes a lot in the Mojave desert...

Forgot to mention the near mid-air with a large bundle of toy balloons at 16,000 ft... they must have been blown out of a vendor's hand at Disneyland or somewhere, but it really surprised me... :)

Last edited:
Not a great place to be.... :) I'll keep an eye out for you glider types around there.

My worst was coming out of north vegas in a Glasair IRG. Headed up toward red rock paralleling the peaks. Mistake #1: Go for the penetration, not the parallel, got +-3G's, airplane mostly out of control until we headed back away and re-evaluated options...

Wind and mountains - scary stuff

Standard practice here for VFR flying is to check the wind reports. It's a small country, so the reports are quite accurate for all of the Swiss alps. Flying when the reports recommend against it is about as dumb as flying into known ice without proper equipment. It doesn't take but one encounter with either to make a believer out you.

Wave issues

Like Alex, I'm a former CFIG with about 2,600 hours in gliders. Been to 27,000 in wave over Mojave and Reno. Has a TWA 747 vectored around me at Reno at FL250 by ATC. OAT was -50 degrees F. FUN!

There are four primary indicators of mountain wave. Waves
typically begin to form when :
1) winds across mountain peaks exceed 25 knots,
2) the wind direction is within 30 degrees of
perpendicular to the line of the mountain ridge,
3) wind velocity increases uniformly with altitude, and
4) wind direction is relatively constant with altitude.

A couple of recommendations from our friends at TRACON on managing mountain wave conditions:
If flying into a headwind & you're at best rate of climb (Vy), & YOU ARE
GOING DOWN FASTER THAN YOU SHOULD BE GOING UP, SPEED UP
TO CRUISE SPEED.

If flying with a tailwind and you're at Vy, AND YOU ARE
GOING DOWN THREE TIMES AS FAST AS YOU SHOULD BE GOING UP,
SPEED UP TO CRUISE SPEED.

THE GREATER THE HEAD WIND, THE SOONER YOU SHOULD INCREASE
TO CRUISE SPEED.

All else being equal, IT'S BETTER TO FLY DOWNWIND AND
FAST.

I would add to the above that if you are flying parallel to the ridge, downwind of it, and in sink, you should move either upwind or downwind to get to the neutral or up side of the wave. Be sure to avoid entering a lenticular if you are VFR. Crossing ridges should be done perpindicluar to the ridge line to minimize time spent passing through the wave and the associated sink areas.

All this assumes you are not in rotor. Rotor typically extends as high as ridge altitude but I have seen it up to a couple of thousand feet above ridge height. If you are in the rotor you need to slow down below maneuvering speed. Rotors can and will flip you upside down or worse... Slow down in rotor! The good news is that the wave's area of lift is usually found just upwind of the rotor.

Fly safe!

Al Thomas
N880AT (reserved)
RV-8A (fuselage)

Wishing for Wave

Last Sunday (1/21/07) was a great wave day in the SF Bay Area.
I was towing out of Byron to the lee side of Mt. Diablo. The northerly
winds were perfect. I'd drop the gliders at about 6K and they would
ride the elevator on up in 2-3 knots lift. One glider made it to over 20K
on a 3849' peak. Not bad. Nother x-country addic flew south to Loma
Prieta near Santa Cruz, rode the wave up, flew over to Half Moon Bay,
hit another wave and made it back to Byron by nightfall.

As a former glider pilot, I really wish I had the long white wings instead
of the noisy engine up front. It was one of those days with perfect
conditions. I was just glad to be part of the action. BTW, the tug is
a Scout.

Bruce W.

careful!

You guys are making me nervous with the advice to dive through the downdraft. Mountain waves are often smooth, but they can get real turbulent in an instant. You really should be at manuvering speed or turbulent air penetration speed (usually about the same). And so, if you are going to slow down, you might as well leave the power on and climb when you can.

John

2 stories, one good, one interesting.

Before I flew Airbusses for a living, I hauled skydivers in a Cessna 206 in the UK.

We had a range of hills (no mountains in the UK really) to the west and when the wind was steady and strong, we used to get cracking wave of the hills. I used to hook into this and the old 206 went from a plodding 500fpm to an awesome 1200fpm when I got it right.

To watch their faces when I called running in after 10 mnutes airbourne was great !

Now, go on a few years and I am sat fat, dumb and happy reading the paper in my A320 going to Palma Majorca in the Med. We are crossing the Pyrenees mountains and it is windy but we don't care, it's a tailwind. We are at FL370 and .78 Mach. The speed vector starts to fall, we slow down, the thrust comes up, we slow down some more, we get to green dot, our min clean speed, then leave FL370 !

Yep, caught in the lee wave and nothing was stopping us from going down, we lost nearly a thousand feet before it stabilised, I called ATC to warn them and fortunately no one was around.

In the same wave as in the Cessna case, I also rode my Aeronca Champ up to 11,000 feet one day, took 10 minutes to get up and 30 to get down !

I've got a couple more for you:

A friend with a Citabria got caught in a downer just in the foothills near the Rockies here. He was solo, light on fuel and for a good 15 minutes descended under full power from about 10,000 down to the highway, looking at semi trailer tops and resigned to putting it down there, hoping to dodge traffic. At about 150 feet, he was able to maintain altitude and finally get out of it. Again, the descending air can't go below ground level but he had to get fresh underwear afterwards.

I was cruising at 9500 in a Tiger. Two on board 3/4 fuel, 100 miles from the mountains and started to lose altitude, kept advancing the throttle and pulling back to maintain. Finally had full power and best climb and still going down at 300 fpm. Smooth as glass. 5-6 minutes later, we were out of it and back up to 9500, reduced power and continued on our way. Weird.

This has been a great read. (Missed it the first time)

I have zero time in gliders but have always been interested.

What are the good glider kits out there that one should look at, if one were thinking about building one?

There is a mountain in the fjord where hang- and paragliders fly when the wind is from the west. It starts with a plateau climbing from the fjord to about 400 feet, then it is steep up to 2000 feet. It is in the CTR of Trondheim, and the VFR route for small aircrafts goes west of that mountain, over the plateau but just outside the hang-glider landing zone close to the foot of the mountain. The max alt of the route is 1500 feet.

When the wind blows from west, south or north there is no problem, but when the wind is from the east things can happen. One time I was flying the wind was very hard from the east, and I was descending to the airport en route just west of the mountain. I was probably around 1200 feet in a very bumpy ride when suddenly I just fell down, like in an instance, about 600 feets to 3-400agl. From that day I allways remember to stay high and far west when it is blowing hard from the east :)

I have a considerable amount of hours flying sailplanes in the Sierra mountain wave out of California City and Minden. You almost always have to tow through the rotor to engage the wave and much time is spent with the controls at the stops, keeping the tow plane in sight, and flying away from tow line loops. But, once you're actually in the wave it's all worth it, smooth, serene, and a view that seems to go forever.

It's not the wave that typically bites GA planes, it's the rotor; and it's usually visible when the wave is strongest because a really strong wave system usually has a moisture component to it (but not always). Watch out for a cloud that appears to be tumbling on the lee side of of a mountain range when the wind is perpendicular to the ridge and a stable front is blowing the wind across the ridge tops at anything over twenty-five knots. That cloud is showing you the upside of the rotor and it will start to disappear as the rotor starts to turn to the downside. Always try to be somewhere near maneuvering speed if you think you may be anywhere near the rotor, as it can be extremely violent there. The wave is usually just above the rotor zone and it's the best place to be if you're trying to transition the wave across the ridge either upwind or downwind, because it's almost always smoother by an order of magnitude - this is where the Lennies live when moisture is present. Best course of action is to engage the wave and cross the ridge at an angle to the wind and the ridge to maintain a forward ground track and use the smooth lift to your benefit by pushing into it. Be mindful of your true airspeed and don't exceed your true airspeed redline.

I've crossed the Sierras twice in GA planes during pretty strong wave. Once in my Maule and once in my RV. My encounter in the Maule was exciting even though I was prepared for it and and I thought I was above the rotor...I wasn't. Fortunately I was already flying maneuvering speed because I knew that I was in the rotor zone, but it was still a wild ride. My wife and I flew the RV-6 through the Sierra wave in March in the same area that Gary described his encounter. The ridge was capped and the rotor just barely visible. We climbed above the rotor and flew diagonally through the smooth lift and sink across the Tehachapi Valley and descended down the upwind side of the Sierras to our destination in the San Joaquin Valley. The transition was very smooth, but the wave lift and sink was quite strong - the primary was cooking at 1500fpm. We also encountered wave conditions near Alamosa, CO on our way to LOE this year. As we came southward down the valley we got a couple of sharp jolts in the seat. I looked ahead and could see the rotor clouds forming ahead of us so I moved over to the east side of the valley out of the rotor zone and the ride smoothed out considerably. Flying through that rotor at RV cruise speeds could have been very unpleasant to say the least...

Wave is generally characterized by a unstable layer of air on the bottom where the rotor resides, a stable layer with steadily increasing wind speed with altitude where you'll find the wave, and another less stable layer above. The wave bounces off of the unstable layers above and below like a spring, but the lift and sink are very smooth and usually not very violent in the transition zone between lift and sink. The lift and sink in the wave can, however, sometimes exceed 3000fpm. :eek: Something to keep in mind when crossing a ridge under known wave conditions. These sorts of weather conditions are most prevalent during the Spring and the Fall, but they can occur at any time of the year.

Bottom line, pay attention to the weather forecast signs and the immediate environmental sign posts for mountain wave and you'll have a much more comfortable and safer flight. I think most bad encounters with mountain wave occur because a pilot is trying to stay under the wind and ends up flying smack dab into the rotor at high cruise speeds.

Last edited:
Free Lift!

Something I learned from Sparky: The Mountain Wave keeps on going past the mountains. That same air continues to hit the ground, bounce up, run out of energy, go back down, etc. Sparky says that he has seen the mountain wave from the Rockies as far east as Chicago. The Amplitude decreases, but the wave length stays the same, I think it is in about the 15-25 mile range.

He noted that knowing this wavelength when you are on North-South routes, you can shift your route a bit East or West, (it shouldn't be more than 8-12 miles from the center of an updraft to the center of the downdraft) and fly in a constant updraft. That is free lift.

He made the same point in discussing flying North-South in North-South Valleys. With West prevailing winds, the east side of the valley is downdraft, and the East side updraft.

I have seen groundspeeds as high as 189 Knots an old 172 by flying the updraft side of North-South valleys around here. In that extreme case I also had a tailwind.

Last summer I flew from 9S5 to KUKI in the 172, and on the way back the winds aloft were 19 Knots, I don't go into the mountains at 20 Knots, so I was right at my limit... It just so happened that literally the week before I left, I took Sparky's ground school here in Bozeman. One thing that sank in from the class much more so than reading the book, was the whole idea of climbing in the updrafts, and diving in the downdrafts. I definitely used to do the opposite, but I think Sparky makes a really good point, by putting your nose down in a downdraft, you minimize it's energy drain on you by limiting your time exposure. In an extreme case it still is a good strategy, because if you can't out-climb the downdraft, there is no use hanging out in it any longer than necessary. On the updraft side, picking up your nose and climbing reduces your speed and keeps you in the free lift longer, and you can use that altitude to dive through the next downdraft.

So on that Ukiah trip return, I really had a chance to put his lessons to work, and it worked out so well, it started to feel something like surfing.

Local knowledge is a factor too. There is a certain spot just east of Big Timber Montana (6S0) where there is almost always turbulence from the Crazy Mountains.

Sparky pointed out that downdrafts keep going down below the height of the trees, so you can't count on the ground saving you if there are trees around when you are in a downdraft...

Remember too that if that air is going down to the ground fast, somewhere very close by there should be air that is going up fast too. All that air has to go somewhere. If you study the Mountain Flying Bible and try to visualize the air mass as flows around and over terrain, you start being able to predict where the air goes up, and where it goes down. By carefully poking around and testing your hypotheses, you can really train yourself in how the air flows around mountains.

It is usually better to fly downstream than up.

Those are my thoughts.

Hans

Both parts of the wave are useful

This discussion made me take a flight trace off my wall and do some measuring. I was flying in a Schweizer 1-26 near Westcliffe, Colorado. This 1-26 was a tube and fabric job which is very slow and has less glide performance than a lot of powered aircraft, around 20-1 maximum. I had been up around 2 hours and was very very cold and the canopy was iced up at around 30,000 feet. Having made my altitude gain goal I was in a pretty big hurry to get to warmer air.

I didn't do anything extreme at all, just slid back a bit into the down part of some pretty mild wave and went into a spiral with dive brakes out. I was probably doing about 50 knots or so. I lost 17,000 feet in 4.8 minutes which comes out to about 3,541 fpm down. That sounds pretty radical for such a low performance aircraft, but it was very mild and controlled. In fact, due to some other traffic I stopped descending at 13,000 feet for a while and hung there, by moving back up into the up part of the wave.

Just a little bit of wave knowledge can make flying easier in lots of different kinds of aircraft.

I avoid flying in the mountains...

When the winds exceed 25 knots at mountain top level.

That way I hopefully avoid having stories to tell.

The typical mission profile when flying out of California City on a strong wave day was a rowdy tow through the rotor, engage smooth and strong lift to 30-40k, let the wind push you back over the airport into the downside of the wave (if you had a 'stack of plates' behind you, a descent below them first), and then a descent straight down to a zero (or near) forward groundspeed landing, a couple of times right in the tiedowns. Line people would tie the glider down while it was 'flown' on the ground. Krazy Kodachrome memories...:)

A heck of a ride

Well I'm glad you asked. This is not so much about wave but some rotor associated with wave. Back when I flew gliders I had the occasion to be playing hooky from work in the middle of the week. I flew gliders out of Pearblossom California and picked a particularly bad day for trying to soar. There I was, using a lot of money up in tow fees and not getting much back in flight time. For some reason I had a feeling that if I got a tow toward the mountains I'd find lift. I took several tows that day and each one I'd yank the tow plane toward the mountains and each time the tow pilot would fly somewhere else. Getting a bit exasperated at all this I took a very high tow, released and flew as fast as I could toward the Devils Punch Bowl area which is, as the name implies, a large (many acres) bowl shape feature in the terrain. It's also a park with trails and that day there were several groups of people out walking around on them. I had a fair amount of altitude as I crossed over the ridge line into the bowl itself. I don't think I was going to spend a lot of time looking for lift but the air was dead and I had enough altitude to sniff around a bit. Suddenly the wings on the 126 I was flying oil canned and my head hit canopy pretty hard. Looking at my VSI, I saw it was pegged hard at 2000ft.fpm...DOWN. Turning my head and looking back at the ridge I could see I already probably didn't have a chance of getting back over it. Looking around down at the ground I could clearly see people looking back up at me and pointing, I could only imagine what they were saying, and darn it they were coming up really fast. So now I'm worried a little bit because; well, this is going to be my first off field landing and there's a bunch of rocks and people down there and I really hate pain. Sitting back in my seat and watching the VSI shows me that perhaps all is not lost. As I'm watching the VSI the downward trend is sweeping its way back, thankfully, to zero. OK maybe I can pull this out. Gliding along now, turning back is not an option, but perhaps I can find a nice spot to BAM!!!! oil can again and I'm slammed down in my seat. The VSI is now pegged hard at 2000 fpm UP! And everything on the ground is getting really small. 14,500 ft. and sitting on top of this thing not moving forward or backward. It was perfect three axis control. Left aileron, slide left, right aileron slide right, stick forward, move forward, stick back, move back. It was better than any thermaling I'd ever done to any cumulus cloud EVER!. I had worked really hard for this and stayed with it for quite along time just enjoying the view. About fifteen minutes into my ride on a bubble I was joined by two glass ships that were able to step off into the clear air wave associated with my little rotor. They were gone in less than five minutes.

Last edited:
Back