What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

center section spacer bolt holes misalignment

KayS

Well Known Member
Hi All, isometric view at drawing 11 shows two AN4 bolts that connect the rear and forward center section with some tubing acting as spacer in between. funny thing is that the 1/4" holes on the left side match perfectly but not on the right side. The offset of the two right holes (rear and forward) is around 1/16" and there is no way you can get a bolt through. any idea what to do here?

it's the center section after all so i don't want to mess with it.

Cheers
Kay

Well, assuming you don't have something "flipped" ie. back to front...

Are you aligning the sections with the close tolerance bolts? If so and your orientation is correct, someone might have put a hole in the wrong place :confused:

the wings are final attached already and all holes line up perfectly, except for that single spacer hole. So it has to be some manufacturing error.

i don't recall if i did drill any holes into the center section... i believe not. But anyway, lets say some gremlin screwed it up... i still need a solution.

what about to fabricate an slightly S-shaped spacer tube with two threads cut in. The S-shape would compensate for the misalignment of the holes and you just bolt in some shorter AN4's with Loctite...?

Last edited:
Call the factory

the wings are final attached already and all holes line up perfectly, except for that single spacer hole. So it has to be some manufacturing error.
I recommend calling Van's in a few hours and seeing what they say. You might want to take some photos and send it to the support@ address first, so that they can follow along with your verbal explanation.

With the small bit of info I have, sounds like you are going to be increasing the size of that hole, keeping in mind edge distances.

Back