What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Panel Cutting: Mixture/Throttle Placement?

dmat

Well Known Member
Advertiser
Hi All,

I am going to be attaching a 2.5 inch panel attached under my main panel to house the EXP bus on the pilot side and the throttle/mixture/flap switch/oil cooler vent.

Couple of questions:
1) is the mixture control usually center on the panel? I would assume yes
2) what is the standard separation (center on center) between the throttle and mixture?
3) For functionality, I was thinking (from left to right) placing throttle---mixture---flap switch---oil cooler vent. Has anyone done that in the past?

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Thanks,
D

Suggestion

Go ahead and cut a hole for a prop control just in case there is a future upgrade

Put a two lever DJM throttle quadrant in, knowing you and change it to a three lever quad later, if needed.

For as much as they look nice, I just don't want to deal with the extra work fitting it etc. The push-pull is fine with me.

Yeah, I plan on pulling the oil cooler push/pull out and enlarging that hole to put the governor, if I ever go prop governor. Then I would just cut a hole to the right of it and put the oil cooler to the right of the governor.

I wanted my throttle to feel comfortable and a natural reach. I sat (simulated being buckled in) in the seat and reached out with my throttle hand and touched the panel with my index finger finding the most consistent and comfortable spot. This ended up being several inches right from center. I measured the throttle/mixture/prop spacing on the newer Cessna's.

I really like having my flap switch on the panel right above the throttle/mixture controls. I have it positioned so I can easily actuate the flaps with my thumb with my hand resting on the throttle.

Back