What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Taildrager training needed.

I live near Amarillo, but would consider training in the DFW and Tyler areas too. Any recommendations?

I know at least 3 CFIs who will train you in your RV in the DFW area. If it's just any taildragger then there are a few more from Denton to McKinney down to Midlothian, all around DFW.

I am still building the RV so the training can't be done in mine.

I want to get the taildragger endorsement so I can decide whether to build it as a tricycle-gear or taildragger.

My first concern is safety, and the second is insurance costs.

Jack

I want to get the taildragger endorsement so I can decide whether to build it as a tricycle-gear or taildragger.

Jack

What model RV are you building that you have the option to build it either tail dragger or nose dragger?

I'm building an RV6 and about to start on electrical and instrumentation. No engine yet. I've thought about converting it to a tricycle gear version.

If by safety you mean, will I die?, there?s probably no difference.
For insurance costs, call a broker and ask. Be sure you?re sitting down.

I would check with an insurance broker first. They can give you information on cost and on required training and time in type. Gallagher is in TX and very familiar with Vans aircraft taildraggers. They advertise on this site, so give them a call.

It's not that bad is it? a couple of years ago when I started thinking about building an RV, Falcon quoted me $500 a year more for a 7 versus a 7A, and I have less than 25 hours of tailwheel time.

They said that the difference would get smaller as I built tailwheel time, so that's the direction I'm leaning, just for the fun factor.

Jack

Bruce Bohannon is a one stop shop for your needs, I purchased my RV-8 without any tailwheel time at all. My insurance required 10 hrs. in an RV-8 before I could fly it. First day consisted of tailwheel training in his Legend Cub (really fun to fly), followed by 3 days in his fully duel controlled RV-8. So, in 4 days I got my tailwheel endorsement as well as the required time in the RV-8 to satisfy my insurance.

Bruce Bohannon (281) 889-8078.

Aviation insurance underwriters have gotten much more picky over the last couple of years, and rates have increased, especially for new customers. Make sure you check with an insurance broker before making any concrete decisions. I agree with others that Bruce Bohannon is a good choice for training if you end up needing it.

I highly recommend Bruce Bohannon. I was already tailwheel current but flew with him in the RV-8 before purchasing mine. He was a great instructor and fun to fly with. There are several airports near his field so you can get experience in different landing environments and different winds.

You’re building an RV-6 so I suggest getting the training in an RV-6 because the insurance is going to want hours in the same RV-6. Training in the RV-8 where you can easily see over the glareshield isn’t going to be the same as in the RV-6 either. Contact your insurance broker.

Last edited:
Back