What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seat back location and Classic Aero seats...

rmartingt

Well Known Member
I've just flipped the canoe and will soon be to the point of putting in the seat backs and hinge attachments (and the rudder pedals; I delayed that step so I can build up and place them while sitting in the airplane).

I want to make sure I get the seatbacks located correctly to account for seat padding thickness, with the added factor that (at least at this time) I'm planning on Classic Aero Aviator seats. Are there any rough guidelines regarding temporary padding for drilling the seat mounts? Do these seats use standard blueprint attachments, or something else?

Thanks

Install all the seat back hinges

Install all the strips of hinges on the floor and when you drill the holes for the rudder bar blocks drill close middle and as far as possible

No one person usually owns a plane forever and the next owner may be built the opposite of you

Make the plane useful for all

Aviator seats don't use Backs.

If you are using the Aviator seats you won't need the Van's seat backs. The Aviator seats have their own internal frame and a flange on the bottom that you rivet a hinge half to.

As far as the floor positions go - I did my hinge locations according to the plans.
I use the aft most position with my Aviator seats (I am a big guy) and like it just fine. That said, Luke from Classic Aero said their intention was for you not to have to use the aft most position - he said the design of the internal seat frame and attach point was such that the middle position should give you the same seating space as using the aft most position with the Van's seat backs and other seats.

Install all the strips of hinges on the floor and when you drill the holes for the rudder bar blocks drill close middle and as far as possible

No one person usually owns a plane forever and the next owner may be built the opposite of you

Make the plane useful for all

That's sort of what I'm going for, really... but I wanted to fit-check myself and my wife to be sure.

If you are using the Aviator seats you won't need the Van's seat backs. The Aviator seats have their own internal frame and a flange on the bottom that you rivet a hinge half to.
Good to know!

As far as the floor positions go - I did my hinge locations according to the plans.
Oh... yeah... there are default positions in the plans :eek:

I use the aft most position with my Aviator seats (I am a big guy) and like it just fine. That said, Luke from Classic Aero said their intention was for you not to have to use the aft most position - he said the design of the internal seat frame and attach point was such that the middle position should give you the same seating space as using the aft most position with the Van's seat backs and other seats.
That's good information. I'm 6ft even with short legs and my wife is 5'7", but my sister's husband is 6'6" and both of my siblings are over 6ft. I'd like to accommodate them all if I can.

Back