What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Inboard seat rib - nutplates

mturnerb

Well Known Member
I'm working on section 26 - installing nutplates on seat ribs. Since the two inboard ribs have dimpled nutplate holes on the flat (versus ramped) portions, I'm wondering if now is a good time to install nutplates on the flat part. I've looked forward in both fuselage and finish kit sections and can't find when/where these get done.

Seems like it would be much easier to do this now while ribs are easy to maneuver than later when mounted in the fuselage.

I think you should follow the plans exactly. A lot of those nutplate-looking sites don't ever get a nutplate.

While I mostly follow the plans, having already built an airplane, I was confident enough to have deviated on build order in many places. If you do, you need to be very careful of traps that can develop. This usually involves becoming very familiar with all the steps between where you are and what you want to accomplish now instead of later.

Nut plates are a very good example. I can't think of any instances off the top of my head, but there are several places were it can be done, and several places where it can't be done, or the pre drilled nut plate holes are not used.

As too your specific question, if your not crystal clear in your mind why they are or are not to be installed now, I would just do what the plans say.

I figured it out finally. They get "sandwiched with baggage floor skin on page 32-05. Good advice from others to follow plans exactly.. Thanks

Back