What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to have instrument panel cut?

Why not do it yourself? If you can build a plane you can build your panel.

Carl

Agree with this---in fact I just started making a new section for my panel this morning.

But, to answer your question ...........

Stein does them. http://www.steinair.com/

Up North does too. http://www.upnorthaviation.com/contact-me.html

I think Aerotronics does them. http://www.aerotronics.com/

I think Walt also. http://www.expaircraft.com/L-3.htm

Just to start the list.

Check yellow pages for water jet cutting shops in your area-----wherever that happens to be.

Last edited:
You definitely can do it yourself. I elected to use Upnorth Aviation http://www.upnorthaviation.com/

Less than $200 and he worked with me back and forth until I had a layout I was happy with - and since it was all CNC-cut everything fit perfectly. I'm sure had I done it myself I would have made 1 mistake somewhere that I would be staring at the rest of my flying life...I used xpanel software to do the layout.

Chris

Water Jet

I designed my own using Visio, converted it to a CAD file and paid a local water jet place $100 to cut it out. Turned out exactly as intended.

I've just had one cut. I found a local sheet metal fabricator with CNC laser cutting (Eclipse in Redwood City).

I planned it out in CAD and sent them an iges file. They cut it all for $100 cash including the #6 screw holes with nice clean edges. I had been quoted $300 for water jet, possibly a slightly better kerf, but I was very happy with the result.

I designed my own using Visio, converted it to a CAD file and paid a local water jet place $100 to cut it out. Turned out exactly as intended.

Ditto! Most or all the avionics dealers will have the cad file for their devices available for download. Spend a few months contemplating the layout if you can, and bounce it off experience flyers for suggestions.
Then email it to a water jet shop and you'll be amazed at the precision you get for about $100. There is a radius minimum with WJ, but its pretty small and shouldn't be a factor. Example: I have a few 1/4" switch holes in the panel, they were drawn and cut with the anti-rotation tabs. These are very small and turned out functional but less than perfect. For everything else its fantastic, takes about 20 min to cut.
BTW, laser CNC shops near me agreed to do it, but said with aluminum there would be a slag mess to clean up when done, and suggested WJ instead.
Tim Andres

You definitely can do it yourself. I elected to use Upnorth Aviation http://www.upnorthaviation.com/

Less than $200 and he worked with me back and forth until I had a layout I was happy with - and since it was all CNC-cut everything fit perfectly. I'm sure had I done it myself I would have made 1 mistake somewhere that I would be staring at the rest of my flying life...I used xpanel software to do the layout.

Chris
+1 Great customer service

I use a laser shop in Orlando and they do superb work. Everything comes fitting perfectly. It needs to start as a good CAD file, though. Laser is MUCH cleaner than water jet. I have used both, and after using the laser shop, I wouldn't even consider using water jet again.

I had mine lazer cut at a company that does a lot of work for my Dad. If you do go to a shop that doesn't normally do aircraft stuff, your panel may have to be for your "car project" to avoid liability for the company. Most companies seem get spooked about aviation stuff, they dont understand the "homebuilt" idea.

Alex

Up North did a GREAT Job for US, See link below...

fM4cpWmby8Un1Sty7

Aerotronics built my panel and cut the holes. I suspect they could just cut your holes for a negotiated fee. Overall their service was excellent.

Plan Plan Plan

If you are going to do other things such as Carbon Fiber Dip and Silk Screen, be sure to plan better than I did.....I forgot 2 breakers for silk screening :mad:
To buy the setup for letter transfer is not cheap and labels look like poop compared to the silk screen.

I know this is an old topic but I wanted to let others know that I have an industrial CNC router to cut instrument panels and just about any other parts one might need. I'm in Clearwater Florida for those in and around the area. I can create the CAD file from your drawing or use your CAD file if you already have one. Most panels start around $160 and go up depending on the complexity and whether or not I have to do any CAD work.

If it's a complex panel or you want to check everything before hand I can cut you a clear acrylic panel first to test fit everything before I cut the aluminum. I can even offer real carbon fiber panels but please keep in mind they are not cheap as the material itself is very expensive compared to aluminum. Best way to contact me is through email via my profile.

Thanks,
Shawn
Clearwater, Fl
Based at KZPH

Last edited:
Up North Aviation

Up North Aviation did my RV4 upgrade panel. Their customer service, high quality work, attention to detail, knowledge of RV aircraft and overall professionalism is the best!

Allen Silberman
RV4 N343AS

Another option is Front Panel Express. If you have a CAD of the panel then you can upload that and do all the design work inside their program. Colors, engraving, colors inside the graving, holes with countersink, etc. Not bad on the price either. 4 different panels for my Lancair and around 600 bucks for all of them.

Same here. Worked out perfect. The guy quoted me $50. I told the guy it was too cheap and gave him another $20 after I saw how perfect it was.

Last edited:
Measure a Zillion Times, Cut Once

Finding someone to cut your panel isn't much of a problem. However, designing a panel that best fits your specific needs - operational and human factors considerations - was to me a never ending process of tweaking and questioning. Eventually had to declare victory and have the thing cut. Turned out fine - but if I do it again, I'll cluster the instruments closer together and allow space for an addition or two.

Up North and Front Panel Express are both good services. I was just simply offering up my skill set and services to do the same and maybe for a little less money. Not everyone has the software or skills to draw up a CAD file nor do they want to learn and those are the people I'm targeting. My prices will include either 5052 (if you plan on bending a lip on the bottom or elsewhere to avoid cracking) or 6061 aluminum. No need to send me material like Up North unless you want to. Prices do vary a little with thicker panels if that's what you want. I have been using AutoCAD for about 20 years so layout and changes are a breeze. I have extensive libraries of instruments and if I dont have it it's online somewhere. I use Vectric software for the actual CNC code and cutting file. It can take several revisions with people to "get it right" before it's cut and this is not a problem. I'll work with you until it's what you want. Waterjet does work and can be inexpensive but it's nowhere near as clean as a machined panel. There are just too many variations with the nozzles where as machining is very precise.

Southwest Waterjet & Laser AZ

I used the company in the title for my last panel. I gave them a .dxf file from Solidworks. $80 for two Cessna 150 panels. Two left pieces and two right pieces. They tested on supplied scrap, same thickness, before cutting to get their machine set up. We couldn?t tell the difference from a laser cut. It was that good.

Back