What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EGT....erroneous readings

Mark33

Well Known Member
I hope someone can help me diagnose my EGT readings. I thought I had a short somewhere, but I've checked and double checked all of my wiring and everything is rock solid. Two of readouts appear to be working properly but the other two are dancing around all over the place. If you just barely touch a wire the readings will start jumping all around. It will show all the way from pegged out to a red X. I have checked all of the connections and everything is perfect. I even did a test on one of the ones that is working properly and the only condition that will cause a red X to appear is if one of the two wires are disconnected. I even tried grounding out each wire individually and even touched them to each other and nothing happens to the readout. I would have thought that grounding one or both wires would have caused an erroneous readout, but the readout on the G3x stayed the same. Once again, the only thing that will cause a red X to appear is if one of the wires is disconnected. So, I don't have a clue as to what could be going on with the two that are jumping around all over the place because they are showing everything from a pegged out temperature reading to a red X, and everything in between. What could be going on?

Thanks for any advice.

Sensors

Maybe try swapping a bad wire with a good one to see if the problem follows the wire or stays with the sensor?

A number of us have seen bad crimps on 1/4" Faston tab connectors on the EGT probe wires. A quick hit with a crimper solved the problem on 2 of mine. This is on Dynon EGT probes. Not sure whether the Garmin probes have Faston terminals.

Fixed?

Did recrimping fix your issues? I have one Dynon egt that's dancing. Thx.

Last edited:
Back