- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 10:51 AM

Default My SB 14-12-06 experience

So, during our condition inspection I checked the bearing bracket brace for cracks, as usual... and there it was. A big ol' horizontal crack. Nuts!

So, for whoever at Van's designed this particular part of the airplane... I'm really sorry for all the bad things I said. Heat of battle and all that, you know. I'm sure it's simple to install all this stuff while the airplane is being built, and you never imagined some wheezing, sweating, chubby old guy would have to spend a couple hours contorted into a VERY uncomfortable position to drill it out and replace it.

I don't know how widespread these cracks are, but it was pretty impressive and I'm glad I was checking it every year per the SB.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 08-20-2018, 11:38 AM

Yeah, it was a pain, but actually easier than I anticipated to remove the old rivets and bracket. It helped that I had the rear window out for replacement.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:49 AM

Like you, I have not replaced, but instead do inspection annually on this SB.

Is it possible to post a picture of the actual crack so I know better what to look for?
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 400

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 08-20-2018, 12:11 PM

Sure, I'll get a couple of pics when I'm at the hangar again tonight (assuming I'm not on this "emergency" work call for the rest of my natural life). The location is pretty much exactly as shown in the SB, opposite side I think. In the last couple of inspections I'd used a borescope to get a close up look; this year I didn't need it. I found it on the right side... it was pretty obvious.
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
-=VAF=- 2017 dues paid
Old 08-21-2018, 01:58 PM

Does fuel tank need to be removed to drill out old parts and install new flap bracket SB? I have split baggage floor and 2-pc rear bulkhead.
EAA #499867
PPL/ASEL 1970 - Sport Pilot since 2004
80 hrs Flying Aeronca Chief 11AC
1130 hrs Flying 46 Piper J-3 Cub
RV-12 E-LSA #120058 AWC Jul 2012 - Bought Flying Oct 2015 with 48TT - Hobbs now 400

LSRM-A Certificate 2016
Special Thanks to EJ Trucks
Old 08-21-2018, 09:24 PM

Itís been awhile since I did it, but I did pull my tank when I did the mod. I also split the baggage floor and bulkhead when I had the tank out. Even if you can do it with the tank in it is certainly easier with the tank out of the way.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:17 PM

I found it difficult to get to the work area even with the fuel tank, rear window and rear bulkhead removed.
One thing helped was a small 90 degree drill used to remove the existing rivets.
Also, it would be good if you can find a young small person to help.

I wonder if the side loads due to taking wing on and off could be the cause of these cracks. Thereís good deal of pressure on that part while pushing the wings inplace while being installed.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:48 PM

Default SB14-12-06

I'm one of the few RV-12 owners that actually trailers to the airport. 183 hours total HOBBS time, and about 65 wing installations. Annual in June, inspected the bracket, no cracks yet. I think I just jinxed myself 😀
HOBBS @187.5
Old 08-22-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backcountry View Post

I wonder if the side loads due to taking wing on and off could be the cause of these cracks. There’s good deal of pressure on that part while pushing the wings inplace while being installed.
With the way the flaperon system is designed, wing removal/installation has no bearing on cracking in the bracket as long as everything is built and assembled correctly.
As designed, the cylindrical guide bushing is intended to be a slip fit into the torque tube (the KAI specifies removing burns a and any paint or powder coat from the inside of the tube, and the service intervals chart specifies a light application of grease periodically).
The KAI also specifies a small gap at the inboard end of the clevis tab on the flaperon.
If these two details are correct, there is no way for the insertion of the wing to induce a load on the bracket.
FEA analysis showed that flaperon movement under flight loads, does induce a cyclic load that could, over time induce cracks.
It is entirely possible that the reason some airplanes have had cracks occur at a much lower total flight time than others, is because of one or both of these factors.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 08-22-2018, 11:18 PM

Back Country,

Thanks for the unintended compliment about young small people! At 65 (when I did it) and undisclosed weight I would qualify for neither descriptor!😝

Rich