What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GTR 200 Four Place

Is there a way to install the Garmin GTR 200 COM and use the internal intercom for four headsets?

Hello Andrew,

Not that we know of. As you know, the GTR 200 was designed to be a full featured stereo intercom for Pilot and Copilot, but there is no passenger support.

You might take a look at the GMA 245. Great Bluetooth audio panel for $1,325 which supports pilot, copilot, and up to 4 passengers.

FZPHoE6NEe83hTK8zFhwSM9pFlHherbp8lv55FjXSw3rfeoTHPkJIb5aAlapRKynatRWs5-5NPjrpams-WD3E6e9muTDKA-yv4XfYMVKutm-pDnT4He6OOg_P9m2Bt9hRZV9ZwQ6KImLB9d5y803q_TBjqOdBj2m3fscxQznnNIwaNEEE4tnqyH_6ZHNGj4Weh8K8_C8s_MOBFwl4XxkiWeAuZI_dH9Xfg86tjIbqFMpMTxQRuaB2oxm-5HRKv5wmkl2fFFbjaPOJxOZKBQkq7SdsBiE7_FE6sQnMhpXYk69lAMDdC0Guo2-N4L8-9_odAVIK5jrSDRUFOdaRy1UYHb8-7Wq0k3ZcKsDHYN7JKSL4qWy_mfFL81kfRiCUWuPfmS9ziultc9JjCmMdWie95J8TlP1T74sQASC9iCu3Xlg1kxQpySGgEkAf9g6DzAHo42yPQ2CyDj64T1s0Ju7zZwGaaiWUqx2DEP60ANR74wQ39J-fdV9NueT865RPf40UekSYIbYTMPjDZisatR8DHT-L8VT2oyJ3JiXPOObHcb1YtKsOOhuXmNc_7pLswJMw3Cf=w631-h167-no

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Andrew,
Not that we know of. As you know, the GTR 200 was designed to be a full featured stereo intercom for Pilot and Copilot, but there is no passenger support.
Thanks,
Steve

OK, good to know... Thanks.

Many people really like the internal intercom of the GTR 200 due to the excellent sound quality and included features. If we hook the GTR 200 up to an external 4 place intercom, will we lose some of these great attributes built in to the GTR 200? Specifically, will we still have the following features?

1.)Advanced Auto Squelch
2.)Music inputs with Hi-Fi, home theater-like quality, featuring bass boost as well as pop, classical and rock music equalizer options
3.)music mute
4.)Standby frequency monitoring
5.)3D audio capability

Thanks!
Andrew

OK, good to know... Thanks.

Many people really like the internal intercom of the GTR 200 due to the excellent sound quality and included features. If we hook the GTR 200 up to an external 4 place intercom, will we lose some of these great attributes built in to the GTR 200? Specifically, will we still have the following features?

1.)Advanced Auto Squelch
2.)Music inputs with Hi-Fi, home theater-like quality, featuring bass boost as well as pop, classical and rock music equalizer options
3.)music mute
4.)Standby frequency monitoring
5.)3D audio capability

Thanks!
Andrew

Hello Andrew,

Good questions. The GTR 200 would still support standby frequency monitoring, but all of the other features are not provided when you disable the internal stereo intercom and connect the GTR 200 as a radio to an external audio panel or intercom.

The GMA 245 provides all the advanced auto squelch, 3D audio, and music features of the GTR 200 (and more), so no functionality is lost if you connect the GTR 200 to the GMA 245 to gain your additional intercom stations.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve, if you wired an external intercom to the pilot's headset jacks, how would the GTR know that an intercom was connected instead of a heaset? Many portable intercoms work specifically by plugging them into an existing set of jacks, and then plugging all headsets into the intercom.

...so no functionality is lost if you connect the GTR 200 to the GMA 245 to gain your additional intercom stations.

Thanks,
Steve

OK I see.... good to know that intercom features only work with the actual intercom that we are plugged in to.

The GMA 245 intercom appears to be a good solution for the higher end IFR panels that include multiple COM radios, but it is a rather expensive path ($662 per headset jack) just for adding two additional headsets for a VFR panel that has one COM radio. I suppose I will install my 4-place PS Engineering PM3000 intercom to get a total of 4 headset jacks... though I wish the GTR200 could handle 4 headsets.

I have flown with the Avcomm Headset Splitters (for rear seat passengers in our rental 172). They work well for the earpieces, and OK for the microphones (when one mic on the splitter circuit goes live, all mics on that circuit go live). These splitters just hook two headsets together in parallel. Perhaps an additional set of headphone jacks can be wired in to the co-pilot wiring of the GTR200, kind of a hardwired headset splitter. I do think it would be best to keep the pilot headset jacks isolated. Not recommending this.... just wondering.

GTR 20 with GMA 245

Hi All,

On a similar subject of audio and radios,

I am trying to install a G3X system with a GTR 20 remote com radio into my RV10. I have also got a GMA 245 audio panel.

I have read the manuals, but am still a bit confused about how to wire the GTR 20 into the GMA 245. I presume that you connect all the Mics, Headsets and the 2 PTTs into the GMA 245, and then connect the GTR 20 to the GMA 245 via the Receiver Audio Out HI and Lo.

If this is the case, how does the GTR 20 receive the transmit audio from the GMA 245? Where do I connect the COM MIC Audio out Hi, and the COM 1 MIC Key Out as per the drawings ?

Many thanks in advance for un-muddling me :)

Amer

Hi All,

On a similar subject of audio and radios,

I am trying to install a G3X system with a GTR 20 remote com radio into my RV10. I have also got a GMA 245 audio panel.

I have read the manuals, but am still a bit confused about how to wire the GTR 20 into the GMA 245. I presume that you connect all the Mics, Headsets and the 2 PTTs into the GMA 245, and then connect the GTR 20 to the GMA 245 via the Receiver Audio Out HI and Lo.

If this is the case, how does the GTR 20 receive the transmit audio from the GMA 245? Where do I connect the COM MIC Audio out Hi, and the COM 1 MIC Key Out as per the drawings ?

Many thanks in advance for un-muddling me :)

Amer

Amer,

You are on the right track. Pilot Mic and Receiver Audio are wired between the GTR and GMA. Take a look at Figure 29-2.3 in the G3X installation manual for the interconnect. The figure calls out the GMA 240, but the interconnect between the GMA 240 and 245 are the same with this respect.

Thanks,
Levi

Back