What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV12 Main Wheel Inflation

JBHansen

Any ideas on how I can access to the main wheel valve stems with the fairings on? The nose wheel was easy, I just drilled a hole in the fairing. On the mains that would fall right in the seam of the front and back fairings. Anything else I can do?

If you remove your fairings and the mounting brackets then assemble them on a workbench, you will see a large hole on the outboard bracket. If you transfer/matchdrill that hole through the front fairing you will be able to check inflation and service the tire without removing the fairing. I use a truck tire inflator and just roll the wheel backward or forward to get it in the right position. You can also purchase an flexible inflation hose that will thread right on to the valve stem. You have to leave the stem caps off of course. You can cover the hole with a large hardware store snap cap.

Tire/fairing access

My main fairings have the access holes in the rear section, just above the internal mount. I used a laser pointer aimed at the tire stem (with the fairing off,tire chocked). Reattached the rear fairing, marked the spot from the laser pointer, and drilled the access hole there. Then I used a paint marker and put marks on the tire along the bottom of the fairing and also a vertical line at the part line of the front/rear fairing pieces. 3 years, 186 hours and no problems. I have a straight hose filler/ pressure gauge that will reach the tire stems. Sometimes, you must "use the Force Luke" to find the stem. Done carefully,it works fine. Saves the time of removing and replacing the fairings. I check the brake pads about twice a year, at annual and then six months later. Replaced my original pads back in June during annual (156hours TT).

Nominations?

My main fairings have the access holes in the rear section, just above the internal mount. I used a laser pointer aimed at the tire stem (with the fairing off,tire chocked). Reattached the rear fairing, marked the spot from the laser pointer, and drilled the access hole there. Then I used a paint marker and put marks on the tire along the bottom of the fairing and also a vertical line at the part line of the front/rear fairing pieces. 3 years, 186 hours and no problems. I have a straight hose filler/ pressure gauge that will reach the tire stems. Sometimes, you must "use the Force Luke" to find the stem. Done carefully,it works fine. Saves the time of removing and replacing the fairings. I check the brake pads about twice a year, at annual and then six months later. Replaced my original pads back in June during annual (156hours TT).

You have my nomination for ?Most Creative Application for a Pocket-Sized Red or Green Dot Pointer Thingy?. Open for other nominations.

Laser pointer

Just an old trick from my racing days. I learned it from someone else, not my original idea. Dave, do you have any paint on your plane yet? Mine has primer on the cowl and rattle can Orange on the wheel fairings, spinner and tailcone fairing. Eventually will get color on the rest. I flew to Moontown a couple years back, looked for you. I will return some day and look you up again.

Simplest in my opinion is remove rear pant and Fill it up.check pads each time as putting air in tires seldom required for most
Dick seiders

No,most tubes lose about a pound of pressure each month. More with temp changes. The long flexible extension hose thru the hole in the pant bracket works for me. I still pull the pants every so often to inspect everything.

Back