- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 09-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Not at all correct.

The RV-10 doors can easily appear shut if the forward pin is in but the rear pin is out (as in the door is racked and the rear pin is outside the door frame). RV-10 doors have been lost in flight because of this design issue.

Carl
Can someone confirm that this condition cannot occur with the PlaneAround latch if the interior handle is in the closed position and the door "looks" closed?
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 09-15-2018, 03:12 PM

Thumbs up Planearound Latch

Hi Gil,

I have installed 5 sets of Planearound 180 latches with friends and customers. (new aircraft and re-fitted on 10 year old aircraft )

I have been flying for four years in my RV-10 and have many, many, non-aviation passengers for the local scenic flight. (whale watching season )
They all hop in and close the doors with no special briefing.

With all that has been written about the doors on the '10, I have played with, pushed, twisted and jammed stuff half out the door trying to understand how it is possible to not latch correctly and with the Planearound centre latch and Stainless pins correctly installed and adjusted, I do not think it is possible.

By the very design of the centre latch, the door has to be closed in the cabin top recess before the centre latch can engage. The door pin guides centre the door and once the centre latch is rotated approx 90 degrees, the door pins then glide through their guide blocks and into the door jam.

I am very vigilant about my doors and it is on my checklist but I have confidence in good design and operation.

If you have an RV-10 and do have doors that you have to wrestle with, please have another builder have a look at them with you to understand what is not right.
RV-10 #40597
Dual SDS CPI
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...d.php?t=140051
Airflow Systems Air-Con
http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...4&postcount=15
VH-XTE 500hrs +
Redcliffe,Brisbane
Australia
Photos : https://goo.gl/photos/zsfBeVofHMe4ze7i7

Last edited by Dustyone : 09-15-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:27 PM

The door closed switches came with one of my RV-10 kits. I think it was the finishing kit, but not sure about that. Instructions for their installation were included in the bag with the switches.

While you could substitute micro switches for the magnetic proximity switches provided by Van's, I'm not sure why you would want to do that. I found the proximity switches easy to install, and the Plane Around 180 door latch kit works with these switches. I intend to tie the switches into my Garmin EFIS system for display of the door open warning, rather than using the pilot lights and relay that came with the switches. Should be a neater installation, and the open door warning will be in my face on the PFD if the door isn't closed while doing the run-up checks.

RV-10 Finishing Kit & FWF in-progress
2018 VAF Dues Paid
Old 09-15-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
Not at all correct.

The RV-10 doors can easily appear shut if the forward pin is in but the rear pin is out (as in the door is racked and the rear pin is outside the door frame). RV-10 doors have been lost in flight because of this design issue.

Install the switches and have all four in series to a warning light - most use a indicator input on their EFIS. On my SkyView the light is green if all four pins are in, red if any pin is out. To do it right, install the cam lock door handle mod as well: https://planearound.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Frv10

Carl
Carl,
I added planearounds cam mostly to avoid the flex in the doors at higher speeds. It is still possible to bow the doors enough to have the aft pin outside of the door block but it requires a serious effort to make this happen. Both front and aft door pins are only a couple of feet from my seat. I prefer to trust my eyeballs and a good shove on the door to some electrons and a bulb. KISS
48X
Old 09-15-2018, 11:32 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustyone View Post
Hi Gil,

I have installed 5 sets of Planearound 180 latches with friends and customers. (new aircraft and re-fitted on 10 year old aircraft )

I have been flying for four years in my RV-10 and have many, many, non-aviation passengers for the local scenic flight. (whale watching season )
They all hop in and close the doors with no special briefing.

With all that has been written about the doors on the '10, I have played with, pushed, twisted and jammed stuff half out the door trying to understand how it is possible to not latch correctly and with the Planearound centre latch and Stainless pins correctly installed and adjusted, I do not think it is possible.

By the very design of the centre latch, the door has to be closed in the cabin top recess before the centre latch can engage. The door pin guides centre the door and once the centre latch is rotated approx 90 degrees, the door pins then glide through their guide blocks and into the door jam.

I am very vigilant about my doors and it is on my checklist but I have confidence in good design and operation.

If you have an RV-10 and do have doors that you have to wrestle with, please have another builder have a look at them with you to understand what is not right.
It's OK - I have the PlaneAround new door parts and have just finished trimming the doors but have not yet installed any latch parts.

I am planning on microswitches for the aft pins but was responding to an earlier comment that recommended magnets/switches on both the forward and aft pins. However it appears that most reported problems occur with the aft pin.

Thanks for the confirmation on the latch efficiency.
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ

Last edited by az_gila : 09-15-2018 at 11:35 PM.