What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thanks Everyone for Your Patience and Help?

Piper J3

Well Known Member
I?ve been pestering you guys for the past several weeks to get information for the flying RV-12 I recently bought. Everyone has been very kind to respond to my requests and I have been able to fix little squawks and now thoroughly enjoying the new plane. I just want to say what a joy it is to fly the RV-12.

A little history? I?m currently age 62 retired mechanical engineer. My other aviation interests are here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=237058 and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GE7V7NPVzQ My father flew B-17?s in WWII and taught me to fly when I was in high school a very long time ago. We owned a J3-Cub together for 23 years. My total flying history is 1200 hours - all in 65 hp vintage tail draggers. Fast forward to today? My father passed 8 years ago and I still miss him terribly. A month ago I traded ?our? Cub plus a wad of cash for a beautiful flying ELSA RV-12 with only 50 hours TT. I rationalized the decision by saying I?m getting older and I had better do this sooner than later.

My thoughts on my decision?. Wow, what a nice flying airplane! The owner/builder of the RV-12 I purchased is a flight instructor so he gave me a checkout which amounted to four takeoff?s and landings to a full stop. I felt comfortable in the plane immediately. The plane, as different as it is from the Cub, was never out ahead of me. I?ve only flown one time in a Van?s aircraft and it was as a passenger in a RV-8 with no stick in back seat. I?ve never flown in a RV-12 until this deal came along. Nice airplane ? solid, smooth, comfortable, visibility extraordinaire, good climb and speed, economical, extremely easy to fly. My next goal is to take the 16-hour LSA Repairman Inspection Aircraft Course at EAA AirVenture this coming year so I can do my own maintenance and Condition Inspections.

Glad you guys welcomed me into the RV-12 fraternity. I think it?s going to be a long association?

Piper J3
Hinckley, OH

Hey Jim,
Congratulations on your first RV.

You don't need the repairman certificate to do maintenance, repair, or even mods to experimental light-sport aircraft. The repairman certificate is only to allow you to perform the condition inspection.

My thoughts on my decision?. Wow, what a nice flying airplane! The owner/builder of the RV-12 I purchased is a flight instructor so he gave me a checkout which amounted to four takeoff?s and landings to a full stop. I felt comfortable in the plane immediately. The plane, as different as it is from the Cub, was never out ahead of me. I?ve only flown one time in a Van?s aircraft and it was as a passenger in a RV-8 with no stick in back seat. I?ve never flown in a RV-12 until this deal came along. Nice airplane ? solid, smooth, comfortable, visibility extraordinaire, good climb and speed, economical, extremely easy to fly.

Piper J3
Hinckley, OH

Nice story welcome Jim! Take a young lad with you sometime as your father did.

Or lass! My wife reminds me of how she was discouraged from aviation as a teen because it was not "lady like"!

Good thing she didn't listen as we met as CAP cadets in 1970!

Rich

"Take a young lad with you sometime as your father did."

I’m actually working on the other end of the spectrum. My friend is 76 years old. He was a Crew Chief on A-4 Skyhawk’s in the Navy and all ways wanted to fly. We had about 40 hours together in the Cub before I traded for the 12. Now he’s got the RV smile. He’s literally having the time of his life…

Piper J3

Back