What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Yet another Kavlico question

yankee-flyer

Well Known Member
OK, I've updated the D-180 to version 5.5 and installed the 15 psi Kavlico sensor with the recommended capacitor. At first the fuel pressure showed 69 pounds but after some research we found that the fuel pressure sensor TYPE should be set to 6. With that done it now reads 5.9 to 6.1 pounds with ONLY the electric pump running, which is right on the edge (and sometimes over) the alarm setting.

I'm open to ALL suggestions-- we've obviously missed something.

Gearbox and nosewheel parts are installed, waiting for prop blades

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM

Rotax Service Letter 912-020R6

I found a reference to new D180 fuel pressure settings in an older post that says the information is in Rotax Service Letter 912-020 R6 P6 but what I find is for Oil pressure, not fuel. Can someone point me to this?

THANKS

Wayne 120241/143WM

If the actual fuel pressure with only the electric fuel pump running really is 6 psi, then suspect an obstruction in the fuel return line.

I didn't see

anything about removing anything from the existing fuel lines-- this engine and the D180 were installed in 2010 and the mechanical fuel pump was replaced a couple of years ago.

But this is a brand new
The RV-12 fuel sensors are notoriously inaccurate, even when new. Even though the display is digital, the sensor is analog. A resolution of 1/10 pound on the display is meaningless because the accuracy of the sensor could be whole numbers off.
Since the fuel system worked fine in the past, my guess is that the only problem is the accuracy of the fuel pressure sensor. Years ago my instructor said not to trust electric fuel level gauges. The same advice applies to fuel pressure gauges.

Back