What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

John Deere voltage regulator wiring...Help!

I did a search on VAF and found this photo for wiring the AM101406 on a RV-12 by f1rocket. His description of the wiring as follows: The JD regulator has one less post on it than the Ducati regulator. There's no "R" terminal on the John Deere. That means one of the heavy white wires is not used and can be tied off to the wiring bundle. They come from the same source anyway so it doesn't hurt anything. Be sure to cover the end with some shrink tubing to insulate it from shorting out against the firewall. The remaining heavy white wire is connected to the "B" terminal. Also, on both regulators, terminal "L" is not used. I think it is used to drive an indicator light circuit. The two heavy yellow terminals come from the generator and are connected to the two "G" terminals. Doesn't matter which wire to which terminal. The remaining small yellow wire connects to the "C" or sometimes labeled "F" post. This is the bus voltage detect wire from the ignition switch.

Is this correct wiring for the John Deere AM101406?

-

29mqhrn.png

Yes, everything is correct. Although the "C" terminal is probably labeled IGW on the John Deere. The two white wires have previously been spliced together a few inches from the end. So using only one of them does not hurt anything like f1rocket said. Be sure to mount the regulator with heat conductive paste on the aluminum perimeter. The same paste can be used on spark plug threads as recommended by Rotax. The output voltage will probably be a half volt higher than the Ducati, which is good for frequent starts like when giving Young Eagle rides. Van's sells an optional regulator cooling shroud (F-00002) that will NOT fit the John Deere, and duct (DUCT NT 5/8), need 2 feet to go to the cylinder shroud or 1 foot to install like I did to the radiator duct.
IMG_1314a.JPG

So I drove to nearest John Deere dealer to get AM101406 voltage regulator and when I opened the box the VR had extension wires instead of spade lug terminal strip at base of unit. No good - plus the cost was $120 :eek::eek:. I guess free economy at work. I ordered a unit on eBay for $27.99 including shipping so we'll see if it matches picture when it arrives next week. I'll probably order a spare for such a bargain price.

One more item I forgot to mention... Yesterday when I was troubleshooting to determine if root problem was voltage regulator or battery the D-180 was showing -6 amps current draw. Only equipment running was Facet electric fuel pump, D-180 EFIS, SL40 Comm (idle), GTX 327 Transponder, and Flightcom 403 Intercom (idle). So this is good point of reference...

Dbelectrical.com

I got my John Deere alternator from them for $30.60 and free shipping.
Exactly like the pictures posted above.
Plus, the connector for the Ducati reg already has spades on the wires. All I did was insert a very small screwdriver above each spade to bend down the retaining ear and the spade slid right out. Just had to put some heat shrink over them for ground isolation.
It has been working fine in my RV12 for quite a while now.

I got my John Deere alternator from them for $30.60 and free shipping.
Exactly like the pictures posted above.
Plus, the connector for the Ducati reg already has spades on the wires. All I did was insert a very small screwdriver above each spade to bend down the retaining ear and the spade slid right out. Just had to put some heat shrink over them for ground isolation.
It has been working fine in my RV12 for quite a while now.

Which is exactly what I did on my install. 100 hours later and still working great.

Today I installed the JD AM101406 Voltage Regulator. Installation was very easy and straight forward thanks to all the help here on VAF. I added an aluminum sub-plate and used Silver Heat Sink Paste to improve cooling.

Question... My battery voltage maintains at 13.8 but amp reading varies a lot from -3 to about +7 in cruise flight. Most of the time amps is just bouncing ~ +/-2 around zero. Is this normal?

Yes, the bouncing ammeter is normal for the D-180 RV-12. I do not know if the problem is the shunt on the control board or the D-180. I never tried to fix it. As long as the voltage is above 13.5, I know that the charging system is working. The data download from today's flight show amps varying from neg -145 to pos +291.

I recently installed the John Deere regulator exactly like the picture in post 52. The rudder tubes underneath made it difficult to install the new nutplate. If I had it to do over, I would move the regulator left 6 or 7 inches. The voltage is 0.4 higher now.

Today I installed the JD AM101406 Voltage Regulator. Installation was very easy and straight forward thanks to all the help here on VAF. I added an aluminum sub-plate and used Silver Heat Sink Paste to improve cooling.

Question... My battery voltage maintains at 13.8 but amp reading varies a lot from -3 to about +7 in cruise flight. Most of the time amps is just bouncing ~ +/-2 around zero. Is this normal?

My ammeter reading has always bounced around like that, with both my Ducati regulators. Never bothered to figure out why, since voltage is good and battery stays charged.

Yet Another Ducati VR Fails

Ducati regulator installed under RV-12's panel failed at 120 hrs. Mode was full output for one or two minutes followed by a minute or two of no charge. After several episodes, no recovery.

See picture at post #13, which is the same experience on mine except only one G lead involved. Peeling back the top layer of potting compound revealed massive amounts of solder, but no visible thermal distress.

I cleaned the socket and plug and reinstalled. No output. $23 John Deere VR on order.

Interestingly my SeaRey with Rotax 912ULS has a Ducati regulator that has worked well for more than 350 hours.

I had a request for information on how to install the John Deere Voltage Regulator in place of Ducati. So, I searched for my posts in VAF and photos are no longer saved on the hosting site (I wish this could be fixed ? we are losing valuable documentation). Next, I searched my photos and it looks like the ?cloud? sold them to the highest bidder and now they?re gone too.

Can someone pony-up the correct wiring for the John Deere AM101406 Voltage Regulator for the legacy RV-12?

The problem is that there are several variations of John Deere voltage regulators.
Purchase one that has the terminals marked like eBay item number:362224250586
-
And another eBay item number:352900565370 has the following
Wire color and function:
(2) Blue Wires: Stator AC in
Red Wire: Battery +
Black Wire: Battery -
Yellow: Ignition switch +
Green: Low charge indicator light
-
Search eBay for "101406 Regulator" which sells for a little as $18.

Back