What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy seal

Harvey rv12

Well Known Member
I am getting water in through the forward canopy when flying in the rain. I noticed there is no seal where the fiberglass forward edge of the canopy meets the aluminum skin (just above the instrument panel). Does anyone use a type of weather stripping in this area ?. I am thinking of applying a small strip along the upper surface of the skin but I thought I would ask around first. I am flying in the northwet and it rains from time to time.

Tom O.

Canopy seal kit available from Vans:
Description
This canopy seal kit is included in Finish kits shipped after December 2013, but is offered here for those who wish to retrofit it to older kits or flying airplanes.

The kit provides seals for the front, sides and rear of the tip up canopy, as well as detailed instructions. Some adhesive will need to be supplied by the builder.

Ordering Information

Canopy Seal Kit

Part Number = 12 CANOPY SEAL KIT

Price = $52.00

Canopy leak

With a suggestion from another person to make a small rise in the upper deck just before the canopy so that wind and water would be forced just over the top of the leading edge of the canopy when it is closed.
I used 3 strips of aluminum sandwiched on top of each other. The bottom one being a little wider than the one on top of it so that the front rises in steps like a pyramid but the back next the canopy the metal strips edges are flush straight up and down. Then I covered the aluminum strips with a thin coat of bondo to make it a smooth transition.
I left about 1/6 to 1/8 of an inch between the lip of the rise on the top deck and front of the canopy.
I have no sealing material of any kind and no water or wind gets under the canopy.
The holes in the upper deck are defrost vents.
25hhmv9.jpg

jfkoco.jpg

w2d6l5.jpg

Last edited:
Back