What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G5 Track Error

SCR

I have a G5 in my panel as my standby attitude indicator and backup GPS source. Works well except... The serial output of the G5 includes bogus TRACK information. The TRK number on the face of the display is correct, but when I use the G5 as a GPS source, it ends up turning the synthetic vision on my EFIS around to look in some random direction -- often behind me!
It also messes with the flight path marker and the track "diamond" on my HSI. Anybody had any experience with this? Garmin, and way to get a software update to address this?
Thanks!
Scott.

I have a G5 in my panel as my standby attitude indicator and backup GPS source. Works well except... The serial output of the G5 includes bogus TRACK information. The TRK number on the face of the display is correct, but when I use the G5 as a GPS source, it ends up turning the synthetic vision on my EFIS around to look in some random direction -- often behind me!
It also messes with the flight path marker and the track "diamond" on my HSI. Anybody had any experience with this? Garmin, and way to get a software update to address this?
Thanks!
Scott.

What EFIS, and how is the interface to the EFIS configured?

Thanks!
Scott.

I have an almost identical problem. My EFIS is the AFS and also the EFIS will turn off and reboot. I have disconnected the two and they both work fine. I need to find a solution because at the moment I do not have a back up GPS as a result.

I have an almost identical problem. My EFIS is the AFS and also the EFIS will turn off and reboot. I have disconnected the two and they both work fine. I need to find a solution because at the moment I do not have a back up GPS as a result.
Hello Tom,

A correction for the issue that Scott reported (incorrect GPS track in G5 NMEA output) will be in the next G5 software update.

It has always been this way, but not many people are using the NMEA output from the G5 because the G5 is not a navigator with lateral/vertical guidance.

A lot of people use the NMEA input on the G5 connected to portables such as the Aera 660.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Back