What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A Big Thanks to the folks at Precision...

clam

Well Known Member
... I want to pass a public thanks and Bravo Zulu to Alan and Peter at Precision Airmotive for their outstanding customer service.

I received an engine from Titan with the ECi horizontal induction and a Precision Silverhawk fuel injector servo. The installed fuel injector servo model however was for vertical induction. No one at Titan seemed to know why the engine was delivered that way, and I will refrain publicly from that portion of the story which did not make me happy. I would be happy to discuss it offline/pm, although I would like to say thanks to Bobby Looper at Titan for his assistance.

The folks at Precision Airmotive stepped in and allowed me to swap the servo for the proper model for the horizontal induction. I could be wrong, but from where I sit, this wasn't their problem but they gladly helped and I now have the new servo on the airplane.

Thanks Precision!

note: the EX-5VA1 fuel injector servo is available in two models, the difference being the direction of rotation of the mixture lever. the "alternate" rotation mixture lever was designed and built for certain vertical inductions and must be specifically ordered. how that model ended up on my horizontal induction engine as delivered is a "mystery". for specific applications, i recommend that you call Precision.

I have an ECI engine I received already built, with precision fuel injection and ECI horizontal induction as well... How do you tell if the fuel injection servo is horizontal or vertical?

Thanks,
Russ

Look on the data plate... Part no. 3015002-1 is normally used for horizontal induction, and part no 3015010-1 is normally used for vertical induction.

For some perspective, look on page 8 of the SilverHawk Install manual dated 2-23-2015. The view on the right side shows the mixture lever and speaks to the rotation options.

Essentially this has to do with the way the mixture and throttle cables need to be routed. In my case, I used the Van's bellcrank kit to run the mixture cable and then fabricated a steel bracket for the throttle cable to run it just below the intake pipes and just above the exhaust pipes. The bracket bolts to the bottom of the cold air plenum. I used a straight lever for the throttle and offset lever for the mixture.

Holler if you need photos or more explanation.

Back