What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Carbon Monoxide detector recommendation please.

Mike S

Senior Curmudgeon
After attending a forum on flight medical issues at Golden West fly in, we are now planning on installing a CO detector in the plane.

There are a lot of options out there, and the price is all over the map, so I am looking for some real world experience from the VAF database.

Not interested in the el cheapo pink dot cardboard things that stick on the panel, we want an electronic unit that will not break the bank, yet is reliable and can be serviced when the battery or detector element need replacements.

Panel space is pretty tight, so a hand held unit may be a better choice, but ???

What are you folks using, and how well has it worked for you???

Thanks in advance, as always your input is appreciated.

Hi Mike, I've been looking into CO detectors as well. It was prompted when I got my O2 prescription from Doctor Blue (other thread on that subject). In his letter with the prescription, he included a little pamphlet and it also had a ad for the CO Experts 2015. If the name of the detector sounds familiar it may be because Mike Busch reviewed the 2002 model.

It seems there are three characteristics to look for: frequency of updates (the 2002 was every 6 seconds and the 2015 is every 1 second); low level detection (definitely want below 35ppm and the new 2015 is below 10ppm); and "abuse-ability" such as vibration, cold, etc.

Last edited:
Mike,

I have been using the AeroMedix unit for about 15 years now. I'm on my third one. They last right at 5 years. About $200. The sensor will give out at 5 years and they will not replace it. Cheaper just to buy a new unit. You will get a message on the display when the sensor is no longer good. These units are CO-Experts brand, are higher-end industrial/home units, and I have not been able to find them anywhere else for less money.

Check out the manufacturer's web site here. And AeroMedix.com.

There is a pretty good article (although dated) on the subject written by Mike Busch on AvWeb here:

http://www.avweb.com/news/aeromed/186016-1.html?redirected=1

As you mentioned, these are portable units but they come with a velcro kit for mounting in the aircraft somewhere. My experience has been that these are very good, sensitive, units. I have had them go off in flight (early on when I was having tail pumping issues) until I was able to seal my canopy and the aft baggage bulkhead. Even now, when I'm taxiing behind certain aircraft, I will get a warning: a loud beep that can be heard in the cockpit even through noise-cancelling headsets.

Disclaimer: I have no interest in the company, just like the product.

P.S. Glen posted the above while I was typing, sorry for the repetition. I have the 2015, it is very small, will fit in the palm of your hand.

Last edited:
I went with a CO Guardian unit. They give pretty nice discounts at OSH.

I like that it's integrated with my EFIS, so in addition to the unit, I also have a alert light going off in my face should it ever sense CO. It's a little more expensive, but I like that I can see the levels on the EFIS.

Mike,
I have a fume/CO detector in my plane and I believe it works pretty good.

I think the brand is Fireboy but I can't quite remember and not in the hanger today. Here is a link that I found on the internet.

www.anchorexpress.com/xintex-m-2a-r...kSSKEhLatJKLtV5ZZluRmuHvlC5xNIvd5x21764zw_wcB

I tested it before installing by holding it close to a exhaust pipe and it took only seconds for it to go off. It is suppose to pick up both gasoline fume as well as CO2.

Hope this helps

I went with a CO Guardian unit. They give pretty nice discounts at OSH.

I like that it's integrated with my EFIS, so in addition to the unit, I also have a alert light going off in my face should it ever sense CO. It's a little more expensive, but I like that I can see the levels on the EFIS.

I have this same setup and it works great. As soon as I power up the avionics bus the CO Guardian does a self test and I see the result on my EFIS. If it senses CO2 levels above the threshold the same EFIS indication lights up. With EFIS monitoring it can also be remote mounted you just can't push the manual test button if you ever wanted to. You can see the unit on the far right side of the panel:

YSV15DME_zpsb39639b4.jpg

I recommend it.

:cool:

Last edited:
Flight Data Systems

Mike,
I installed a Flight Data Systems GD-40 for these reasons:
-It takes minimal panel space since the main unit remote mounts
-It detects as low as 10 ppm
-it gives an aural self-test message on startup
-It has a 5-7 year life and the company will service it (calibrate and replace sensor)
-It integrates with the EFIS
-it gives aural reminders to use oxygen at appropriate altitudes (it has an internal altimeter and thermometer)

Considering that I'm 7 hours into Phase 1, I can only talk from limited experience as to the reliability/longevity of the product. Check it out here:

http://www.fdatasystems.com/gd-40-co-detector

Thanks folks

Guys, thanks for the input so far, really like the looks of the AeroMedix, and the Flight Data Systems units.

Anybody else ????

What i use

I went to my local home depot, aviation aisle and got a very nice battery powered co detector. It is a good unit that has a loud piercing alarm and digitail read out of ppm or whatever, Velcro on the the boost pump tunnel cover under the manual trip plate. Out of the way, works like a champ and i think cost 40. Gave me a beep one time during flight, we immediately opened vents, pulled it up from velcro mount and found it was a low battery beep. Been fine every since. New batteries are part of annual. Great $40. Doesn't need to be more complicated than that. It is great, wouldnt change a thing.

pocketco2.jpg

not sure what has been posted all ready but this little guy for a hundred bucks works like a charm. records parts per million, not bad ehh. :)

The value of a CO detector

My wife and I were on a week-long trip to the south and west last week. About halfway through, my Guardian CO detector started chirping intermittently in the climb outs for few minutes, then it would stop. The unit has been in the airplane for 10 years and had never gone off before. I told my wife that if it started to emit a steady tone we would land, but it never did. We felt fine, no symptoms. So I kept going and we completed the trip without incident. I figured it was probably a detector issue.

Got home and pulled the cowling for an oil change and inspection. Found a thin crack along the bottom of the weld bead on the no. 2 exhaust flange (Vetterman crossover exhaust system, 937 hours since new). The crack was about one third of the way around and escaping exhaust had deposited a gray lead coating over adjacent stuff include the lower plug.

The alarm was for real and was telling me I had an exhaust crack. Sharing in case anyone else has a similar experience.

LeRoy Johnston RV-6A Esperanza 937 hours

I have the CoGuardian Model 452 in our panel. It also has an RS-232 interface to our Advanced Flight Systems AF-5600 which is really a nice feature. Doesn't take up much room in the panel either.

I had the CO Guardian 452, liked it, decided to upgrade to the 455

same install position, and it won't stop alarming in my climb out

i bought a portable one that reads out the PPM, and i've used it on a few flights, the 455 is incorrect, so i'm sending it back to factory (it's brand new)

i guess my point is, verify yours works before you trust it

Just to close the loop on this, I ended up installing the Flight Data unit.

http://www.fdatasystems.com/gd-40-co-detector

Small, lightweight and easy to hookup.

I get a status report whenever I power up the panel, audio and EFIS "banner" message ------- at least when I do the manual test, no actual CO detection so far.

The unit does give me a warning when crossing 10,000 msl--------bit of a surprise the first time, but good to have that little bit of a reminder when doing a long Xcountry where you would need O2.

All in all, happy with the unit.

Back