What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weatherhead valve extension

Tom Horne

I thought maybe I could get some advice here on fabricating an extension shaft to fit a Weatherhead fuel selector valve. I just bought a one-of-a-kind Meyer 360 and wanted to 'improve' the fuel system design by adding a fuel selector valve so I can feed directly from 2 tanks. I can mount it and have a straight shot to the instrument panel (ie. don't need a universal joint). But I don't have the valve yet.

My questions are:

1. What is the shaft diameter of the shaft on the Weatherhead valve?
2. What would you use as the shaft material for a 2 foot extension?
3. How would you connect the extension to the valve stem?

You guys area wealth of information on adaptation of parts to unique installations and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

1. What is the shaft diameter of the shaft on the Weatherhead valve?
2. What would you use as the shaft material for a 2 foot extension?
3. How would you connect the extension to the valve stem?

1. Get the valve and measure it or try to find the weatherhead part spec or drawing on Eatons website.

2. My first design path would be thin wall steel tubing with the right ID to fit over the valve stem.

3. A small screw and nyloc (like #6 or worst case #4) through the tubing and valve stem.

Have you spent some time with the issues of attempting to get even fuel flow from two tanks at once? That does not usually work well. One empties first and leaves unusable fuel in the other.

Fuel

To answer the questions, it's an experimental, highly aerobatic plane, not the certified plane. And it has a strange fuel setup. I'm going to use the valve to select the left or the header tank for the engine. There are 2 other tanks that refill the header tank only.

Still looking for the shaft diameter of the weatherhead valve. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Tom

fuel valve extension

Tom,

I used an extension with a Van's "Standard brass-on-nylon 90/180 degree 4 port valve; Part Number = FUEL VALVE" with Van's "Fuel Valve Selector Lever - Red Anodized finish; Part Number = FUEL VALVE LEVER" in my Zodiac. As noted in my signature, I've flown more than 1550 hours with this arrangement.

I cut the valve stem off about half way between the top of the valve body and the end of the stem. I used a piece of brass tubing from Ace Hardware that was a snug fit over the stem for the extension. I drilled holes through the tubing and stem "halves" and secured each with a cotter pin. I replaced the valve once because it felt stiff, based on reading in this forum, I probably could have taken the valve apart and serviced it.

The valve stem measures 0.311" diameter.

Regards,

Back