What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need Phoenix area RV-12 owner(s)

Paris12Man

Well Known Member
Hello, I'm looking for a RV12 owner(s) in the Phoenix, AZ area that would be willing to allow their airplane to be used to make fiberglass molds for ring root fairings. I understand the concerns, but maybe you could at least make a phone call to check into the process. If interested, send me a PM. Thanks. If this post is inappropriate moderators, please delete.

On it.

FYI - for the lurkers interested in RV-12 fairings, I am going to make my build available for Bob to do molds - working on the wings now, fuselage on order - hope to have the metal built by May 1. Probably this summer or fall before he can get all going.

I remember reading a post some time ago from an RV6 buyer who found his plane went noticeably faster after he took the after-market wing root fairings off. Just curious as to whether fairings would increase or reduce drag on a -12?

I remember reading a post some time ago from an RV6 buyer who found his plane went noticeably faster after he took the after-market wing root fairings off. Just curious as to whether fairings would increase or reduce drag on a -12?

Most scientific type studies (i.e. Paser's Mustang II book) indicate 3-4 KIAS increase in speed and some fuel savings with wing fairings.

That said, the removable nature of the wings present an interesting problem as well.... do u secure them only to the wing, while fitted? Will that be strong enough? I dunno.

Most scientific type studies (i.e. Paser's Mustang II book) indicate 3-4 KIAS increase in speed and some fuel savings with wing fairings.

That said, the removable nature of the wings present an interesting problem as well.... do u secure them only to the wing, while fitted? Will that be strong enough? I dunno.

John,

Check your PM.

You can't categorically say that all airplanes will go faster with fillet style wing root fairings. Only the ones with a draggy wing / fuselage intersection will go faster.

All the RV's have about the best intersection possible, so rgmwa is right, the installation of fillet intersection fairings generally slows them down.

But hey, some people might be willing to make their RV-12 heavier and go slower, just because they think it looks cool....

You can't categorically say that all airplanes will go faster with fillet style wing root fairings. Only the ones with a draggy wing / fuselage intersection will go faster.

All the RV's have about the best intersection possible, so rgmwa is right, the installation of fillet intersection fairings generally slows them down.

But hey, some people might be willing to make their RV-12 heavier and go slower, just because they think it looks cool....

They said that about winglets too 30 years ago...

Then a guy in SEA sold his winglet business for a lot of dollars after convincing everyone of the savings...

http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/about_industry_genius.php

They said that about winglets too 30 years ago...

Then a guy in SEA sold his winglet business for a lot of dollars after convincing everyone of the savings...

http://www.aviationpartnersboeing.com/about_industry_genius.php

It seems that that line of thinking should mean that once everyone "gets it", all airplanes, regardless of there size, will have winglets. I think that is highly unlikely.

I have first hand experience with RV's going slower with fillet style wing root fairings installed. I guess it is entirely possible that the designers didn't know what they were doing, and did it all wrong.....

It seems that that line of thinking should mean that once everyone "gets it", all airplanes, regardless of there size, will have winglets. I think that is highly unlikely.

I have first hand experience with RV's going slower with fillet style wing root fairings installed. I guess it is entirely possible that the designers didn't know what they were doing, and did it all wrong.....

I agree that the accepted 90 degree philosophy of intersections seems to be the best method of reducing drag...just pointing out that in Paser's testing he saw some documented advantages - different airplane, way different airfoil, so it may not work the same here, but it will be interesting to be sure.

I'm no aeronautical engineer that's for sure.

I'll let everyone know when and if I get that far.

Last edited:
Back