What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

USB powered ANR headset?

Blain

Well Known Member
I?m tired of poor battery life. I installed a USB port to power my IPad. Any manufacturers powering headsets by USB? I?m not interested in installing a Lemo plug.

Have Flightcom D90 and listen to music from my phone. The AA batts last only a couple of hours.

Not familiar with the D90, but if you are link to music via Bluetooth that is likely what kills the batteries.
Lightspeeds are the same way. That is why I connect with an audio cable.

I haven't heard of any headsets that can be powered with USB

USB powered ANR headsets

Hi Blain, I make USB to ANR power adapters for the Headsets Inc. ANR system which is powered from a 2.1mm DC plug with 9V. The adapter I make converts USB to 9V DC power 2.1mm jack to accept the 2.1mm plug.

I guess I could make a USB to 2 x fake AA battery but you might have to modify the battery case so wires can hang out of it. It gets a bit messy.

I rigged up my zulu to work from ships power. I got a 12v -> 3.2 vdc buck convertor from digikey for a few bucks and wired it to a 1/8" jack on the panel next to the headset jacks. I then fab'ed up a wood dowel (same dia as the AA's) with metal ends to replace the two AA batteries in the zulu module (ends are wired up to a 1/8" plug. Works like a charm and avoids the hassle batteries dying. The extra wires were not an issue for me, as I have a littler hanger that I made to hold the module out of my way.

Larry

Last edited:
Contacted Flightcom and was told to send them back. I?m cool with that but I?m still curious about none of the headset manufactures using usb for power.

Contacted Flightcom and was told to send them back. I?m cool with that but I?m still curious about none of the headset manufactures using usb for power.
Not sure why they would... In certified aircraft, adding a power jack of any kind isn't the most trivial exercise. In an amateur-built, the market is much smaller, and the variety in what people want is much greater.

12V is readily available in an aircraft. That's what LEMO jacks are for. Wire one in alongside your standard jacks, so you can still use a standard headset, if you're concerned about that. Or replace the standard jacks and use just the LEMO, and carry an adapter GA-to-LEMO for the times you want a standard headset.

Back