What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Headset noise...

Tony_T

Well Known Member
Patron
This new thread relates to the thread regarding the relocation of the Dynon data plug due to transfer of noise to the headsets and also noise due the electric fuel pump.
The noises that I hear in the headsets are mainly:

1. The engine generator/alternator hum. Very noticeable when taxiing, especially when using a noise cancelling headset. Not really noticeable when in the air when covered up by general cockpit noise. I have tried 4 different headsets, Lightspeed Zulu, Clark passive, Clark ANC, AvCom passive. They all pick up the generator to some extent when taxiing. It should be possible to put a noise filter on the voltage regulator to kill this noise, but I don't have to knowledge on how to do this.

2. The electric fuel pump causes a ticking sound in the headset when you have a music source plugged into the music jack. Again, this is most noticeable when the cockpit is relatively quiet like when taxiing. Van's said that they are working on a noise filter for this similar to the noise filter on the autopilot pitch servo. I have not seen that this is available yet. When flying solo I can plug the Ipod directly into the Zulu when I want music, and not hear any fuel pump noise. If you have a passenger and you want to share music you pretty much have to plug into the music jack. If you have headsets with Bluetooth, that may work but I have found the Bluetooth to be kind of flackey and not worth fiddling with, especially when flying an airplane.

I have not noticed any noise in the headset that I can attribute to the Dynon data plug (I have the old style). But it would have to be bloody loud to hear it in flight.

I would be interested to hear what noises others may be hearing in the headsets.

Tony

Last edited:
Headset noise

I also get an RPM-related whine in my headsets-- Flightcom ANR. Suspect the alternator-- does anyone have any suggestions? I installed the optional Fuel pump filter while the inspection panel was off for the Condition inspection/FAA inspection and don't have a ticking but the whine is really annoying and there's a fair amount of background noise. Plane to pull the panel and adjust some pots but that's pretty far down my list.

Wayne 120241/143WM

I also get an RPM-related whine in my headsets-- Flightcom ANR. Suspect the alternator-- does anyone have any suggestions? I installed the optional Fuel pump filter while the inspection panel was off for the Condition inspection/FAA inspection and don't have a ticking but the whine is really annoying and there's a fair amount of background noise. Plane to pull the panel and adjust some pots but that's pretty far down my list.

Wayne 120241/143WM

Noise problems can be cause by poor inproper grounding.

Wayne, did you ever correct your jack installation?
An old post located here made it sound like you had them installed improperly.

Last edited:
The optional fuel pump noise filter (ES-Noise Filter, pump) is available but not yet showing up on the web store. I was able to order it on the phone.

All my headset jacks (ground/no ground) check out by ohmmeter per plans and I have solid instrument readings on everything but that jumpy ammeter that others have mentioned, so I feel pretty sure grounding is OK.

The Rotax noisy alternator has been mentioned before in other posts, it's not all that bad, I think I can live with it, but if Van's comes up with a ES noise filter for it, I would be a buyer.

Does anyone know if the alternator hum is the noise that is supposed to be transferred to the headsets by the Dynon data plug wires?

Tony
P.S. It's a rainy day today, so that's why all these pesky posts from me.

Last edited:
Scott, as far as I know

I re-did the headset jacks per the plans and everything works-- just have that RPM-related whine.

Wayne

And I thought I was the only one with noise issues !

1. I also have the fuel pump ticking - not noticeable in flight - was not aware that there was a filter available, but will call on that.

2. I have a static type noise which goes away if I turn off the GPS - barely audible in flight - Van's has told me that the long wires going down to the tunnel are causing this, on some airplanes - removing the 9 pin data connector in the tunnel and going with the new shorter connector should solve this - on my list for the annual in November.

90+ hours and have loved every minute !

Have not noticed any sounds, whines, hums, or the like in my headsets, but discovered yesterday that reason I could not upgrade to 5.4 or download data was due to fact my pin 3 wire had pushed out of the 9 pin connector. After repair it will be interesting to see if noise of any kind shows up.
Dick Seiders.

I installed the optional Fuel pump filter while the inspection panel was off .......

Wayne 120241/143WM

Wayne (or somebody else off-course) is the noise filter the same as the one for the AP servo and light kit? And what position had to be used for ground?
If so I put the one from the light kit on the fuel pump since the pushrods are not yet installed.

Regards, Joeri.

Not the same...

Wayne (or somebody else off-course) is the noise filter the same as the one for the AP servo and light kit? And what position had to be used for ground?
If so I put the one from the light kit on the fuel pump since the pushrods are not yet installed.

Regards, Joeri.

Joeri,
I just received the fuel pump filter and it is a much larger capacitor than the one used on the AP servo. They are not the same.

Tony

Fuel pump capacitor

The fuel pump capacitor :D
The AP and the light filter have a capacitor of 2200 microfarad. I have both.
When I know the capacity of the fuel pump noise filter (and the voltage printed on it) I make one myself otherwise I have to wait an other three weeks (customs).

No headset noise

I can't help smiling to myself as I read this thread. I have one of the cheapest headsets on the market yet I have the cleanest sound from the intercom. When I started running the wiring loom through my aircraft I wondered how they rely on a perfect earth neturn through so many riveted sheets of alclad so I ran an return wire linking all electrical groundings. I feel this may help to give me such a clean sound.
Tony

The capacitor...

How many farad is the capacitor?

Joeri, the capacitor is 22000mF 25V.
1025901676_ZUchc-M.jpg

(in case you have not installed the pushrods yet) ;)

Tony

Last edited:
I only installed the flaphandle today ;)

32-08%20step2.JPG

Thats a big capacitor Tony!

I think Platyius has a good point about grounding. I think I make an extra groundcable for the headset plug.

More headset noise

I have done several ground runs. Today was the first time I used a headset because I wanted to check max static rpm (4980!).

The headset has no noise up to about 3400 rpm then there's an intermittent loud noise like rattling tins. Increases steadily until, at around 4000 rpm, it is continuous.

Obviously engine-related (ignition/mags?). Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this? Has anyone experienced similar?

Bose headsets, and same sound heard from passenger headset jacks.

Thanks....Keith

Last edited:
I have done several ground runs. Today was the first time I used a headset because I wanted to check max static rpm (4980!).

The headset has no noise up to about 3400 rpm then there's an intermittent lound noise like rattling tins. Increases steadily until, at around 4000 rpm, it is continuous.

Obviously engine-related (ignition/mags?). Any clues as to how to troubleshoot this? Has anyone experienced similar?

Bose headsets, and same sound heard from passenger headset jacks.

Thanks....Keith

The very first thing to try is using a totally different headset (other than the Bose), and see what happens.

I have multiple noises in mine as well and I have Lightspeed ANR headsets. There is a faint whine that sounds like alternator noise, as the pitch changes with engine speed. We can also hear strobe noise when the nav/strobes are on, despite having the noise filter for the lighting. None of the noise is terrible but it is there.

Jeff

Generator/alternator

Thanks, I'll try a different make of headset. However, this isn't a minor irritation noise, I'll have to eliminate it before flying - unless it's a non-radio flight.

I'm still puzzled about the noise only starting to appear at a moderate rpm. Could this be the point that the generator/alternator starts to produce electrons? I cannot think of any other event that might only start or become significant at 3400 rpm.

Cheers...Keith

I have the same symtoms today on first engine run with both headsets as gblwy had back in mid October, i.e. rattling tins up to a certain rpm then continuous. Three different headsets - same result. Wondering if others have experienced this besides gblwy and possible solutions.

Please ensure the pilot and co-pilot jacks are set up correctly. The headphone jack sleeve is grounded at the jack. The mic jack sleeve MUST be insulated at the jack location per the plans using the insulating washer. CHECK both sides.

Noise fixed

I'm embarrassed to admit that my noise went away after I adjusted the squelch on the radio!

Cheers...Keith

Thany you Keith/gblwy. Had not adjusted the intercom squelch knob correctly. I am banging my head against the wall - again.

John s/n 317

Can someone confirm what the value is on the capacitor that Van's is providing for the servo's on the RV12????

Joeri,
I just received the fuel pump filter and it is a much larger capacitor than the one used on the AP servo. They are not the same.

Tony

Hence the reason for the question....I get two different answers..

22000 or 2200???

I am going with 2200 since that is a more realistic size for that purpose....

AP noise filter

Hence the reason for the question....I get two different answers..

22000 or 2200???

I am going with 2200 since that is a more realistic size for that purpose....

I can confirm that the big 22000 µFd capacitor is the noise filter for the fuel pump as I have it sitting on the bench yet. My autopilot filter is buried in the plane so I can't confirm the value Joe gives but he is a trustworthy guy ;), the Van's part for the autopilot servo filter is "ES-00103 Noise Filter" in the inventory sheet, if you want to order it from them. It comes with nice leads and spade connectors. They only use one on the pitch servo which is under the pilot seat and near the PTT and headset wiring. The noise filter is visible in the picture.
[url=http://tonytessitore.smugmug.com/RV-12-Project-N577RV/Autopilot/10366521_wJzx6#722250187_PNpkt-A-LB][/URL]

The roll servo is behind the rear bulkhead and they don't put a noise filter on it.

Tony

Last edited:
Oeps, I read only the quote in posting #26 about the fuel pump filter but the question was about the servo filter.

Fuel pump capacitor = 22000 µF
A/P & light noise filter= 2200 µF

Last edited:
Fuel Pump Noise Filter..

The optional fuel pump noise filter (ES-Noise Filter, pump) is available but not yet showing up on the web store. I was able to order it on the phone.

All my headset jacks (ground/no ground) check out by ohmmeter per plans and I have solid instrument readings on everything but that jumpy ammeter that others have mentioned, so I feel pretty sure grounding is OK.

The Rotax noisy alternator has been mentioned before in other posts, it's not all that bad, I think I can live with it, but if Van's comes up with a ES noise filter for it, I would be a buyer.

Does anyone know if the alternator hum is the noise that is supposed to be transferred to the headsets by the Dynon data plug wires?

Tony
P.S. It's a rainy day today, so that's why all these pesky posts from me.

Tony, an old post but I'm interested if the noise filter at the electric pump stopped the ticking? If so, then is it a simple install? If there is such a thing??

Thanks,
Doug in IL

The noise filter at the fuel pump does stop the ticking in the headset. It does not stop the sound of the pump running.
The install is not real easy as the space is limited, the flaperon pushrods are in the way, and you will be working with an adel clamp in there which is always a challenge in tight spaces.
If the flaperon pushrods are not installed yet, it would be an easy job to install the fuel pump noise filter.

The noise filter at the fuel pump does stop the ticking in the headset. It does not stop the sound of the pump running.
The install is not real easy as the space is limited, the flaperon pushrods are in the way, and you will be working with an adel clamp in there which is always a challenge in tight spaces.
If the flaperon pushrods are not installed yet, it would be an easy job to install the fuel pump noise filter.

Thanks Tony,
Does the part come with install instructions? Is it Possible to install without disassembly? Oh and is it a simple electrical connection?
Doug in IL

Doug, I don't remember whether instructions came with the noise filter, that was 6 years ago, but the installation is now on page 31B-22:
i-shCgDqP-L.png

I think I installed it without disassembly. The electrical connection is simple, just unplug the fuel pump spade connection and plug in the noise filter in series and install the ground terminal.

If you have a solid layer of primer laid up prior to assembly this could also cause grounding issues, you may want to validate your grounds

Back