What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Does Friday count?

bwestfall

Well Known Member
Is Friday mid day to early for the "what did you do with your RV this weekend thread"? Got my Airworthiness Certificate today! It's been a 13 year journey that at times I've wondered if it would ever end, build phase that is.

I guess its time to update my signature ;)

rv10-airworthiness.jpg

Congratulations! I was up in COE on Monday with my work airplane, and was thinking about you. After lunch, I drove around the airport looking for an open hangar with an RV-10 in it. But alas, no success. Maybe next time.

I think you just set the bar for a phenomenal RV weekend. Congrats! Friday surely counts.

Congratulations! I was up in COE on Monday with my work airplane, and was thinking about you. After lunch, I drove around the airport looking for an open hangar with an RV-10 in it. But alas, no success. Maybe next time.

Ha... T hangars in the SE corner off the approach end of RWY 2, Miles St gate. I?ve been burning the evening and night hours more lately than daytime ones. Most days I gotta work so I can afford avgas ;)

Congrats

Congratulations Ben! You're going to love the -10, nothing like it out there as a long distance cruiser :)

Congratulations!!!! I am so jealous! Still in the "fiberglass he--" phase. Doors and canopy about 90% done, but MAN, it makes you think it'll never happen. Thank you for the inspiration!!!!

Last edited:
I'm feeling the same way about my build after 8 years, but I continue to soldier on.

Congratulations!!!! I am so jealous! Still in the "fiberglass he--" phase. Doors and canopy about 90% done, but MAN, it makes you think it'll never happen. Thank you for the inspiration!!!!

I've gotta say the final, final assembly at the hangar has to be some of the most enjoyable time spent on the project in all the years of riveting and wrenching. The reality of "don't f*** this part up it's the last time" requires utmost focus and really sticking to your plan. Documenting your work so as not to miss anything, review your documentation and again on the plane. That time spent with no distractions, mostly by myself seemed almost meditative and very rewarding. I did not start any one assembly (HS, VS, Rudder, Wing bolts...) without seeing it through in one session. No critical assembly left undone. Document ANYTHING on my "punch list" if left incomplete. Review punch list often. Second or more set of eyes all over the plane.

This is the only time in the whole project that building took priority over family life for me... thus the 13 years ;). It was a pretty hard month and a half on the wife I think bless her she never complained.

The entire plane, yes plane!, suddenly was viewed through the morbid lens of yes this one bolt, nut, cotter pin and so on has the potential to kill you and your occupants. It's hard to grasp that when you start with a pile of aluminum in a flat crate from Van's many years prior.

I completed transition training with Mike Seager end of June. The first day driving back from Vernonia it hit me like a brick. This is serious, this is an airplane you assembled in your garage. You are going to fly it. Wow! That, to me, was very sobering.

Now that I'm done, done and insurance is lined up and the plane sits ready for action Murphy laughs at us as the weather has gone to s*@$ here for at least a week ha ha. Oh well, it'll happen.

I've gotta say the final, final assembly at the hangar has to be some of the most enjoyable time spent on the project in all the years of riveting and wrenching. The reality of "don't f*** this part up it's the last time" requires utmost focus and really sticking to your plan. Documenting your work so as not to miss anything, review your documentation and again on the plane. That time spent with no distractions, mostly by myself seemed almost meditative and very rewarding. I did not start any one assembly (HS, VS, Rudder, Wing bolts...) without seeing it through in one session. No critical assembly left undone. Document ANYTHING on my "punch list" if left incomplete. Review punch list often. Second or more set of eyes all over the plane.

This is the only time in the whole project that building took priority over family life for me... thus the 13 years ;). It was a pretty hard month and a half on the wife I think bless her she never complained.

The entire plane, yes plane!, suddenly was viewed through the morbid lens of yes this one bolt, nut, cotter pin and so on has the potential to kill you and your occupants. It's hard to grasp that when you start with a pile of aluminum in a flat crate from Van's many years prior.

I completed transition training with Mike Seager end of June. The first day driving back from Vernonia it hit me like a brick. This is serious, this is an airplane you assembled in your garage. You are going to fly it. Wow! That, to me, was very sobering.

Now that I'm done, done and insurance is lined up and the plane sits ready for action Murphy laughs at us as the weather has gone to s*@$ here for at least a week ha ha. Oh well, it'll happen.

Congratulations,
May I strongly suggest you utilize the EAA second pilot option.
There is so much to observe and experience that it is extremely beneficial to have a second set of eyes to keep track of things and traffic.
I did that and found it extremely helpful. Yes, I did over 5 hours of transition training, but it isn't the same when it is your own handiwork. Not hard to find a qualified second pilot, and you will enjoy it that much more.
Kelly
a bit over 260 hours and 3 years of flying

Congratulations,
May I strongly suggest you utilize the EAA second pilot option.
There is so much to observe and experience that it is extremely beneficial to have a second set of eyes to keep track of things and traffic.
I did that and found it extremely helpful. Yes, I did over 5 hours of transition training, but it isn't the same when it is your own handiwork. Not hard to find a qualified second pilot, and you will enjoy it that much more.
Kelly
a bit over 260 hours and 3 years of flying

Yes . . . it is sobering to look back and say, I flew my first flight in a TD as my first RV and TD solo.

Congratulations on the progress . . sorry, but building phase overlaps Phase I as there are inspections and changes/improvements likely for the next 50-75 hours:eek:. But you get to fly all that time!! :D:D

Back