VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-15-2019, 01:10 PM

What about liability only. Have your friend self insure the air frame. I mean they have enough to pay the whole value of airplane. He bends it he buys it.

Prices on hull insurance for experimental aircraft has gone nuts. I looked into instructing in an RV for training. Hull insurance was too high. Liability was not bad.

Dual in an experimental for Pvt? I'm a current CFI, but I have not given primary training in years. The issue I recall is finding an examiner willing to do check ride in an experimental.

As was suggested go find a C152 and knock out the Pvt and get transition training from someone in their RV. Then revisit the RV partnership idea. Although he has category (airplane) Low time in class (SEL), and low time in type, insurance will be high.

Last edited by gmcjetpilot : 06-15-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcjetpilot View Post
s. The issue I recall is finding an examiner willing to do check ride in an experimental.

As was suggested go find a C152 and knock out the Pvt and get transition training from someone in their RV. .
Our local DPE is willing to give check rides in an RV. The issue is transition training in the cfiís airplane, under a LODA. Several of us who used to do this have dropped out, due to the high cost of insuring this activity. Given how much insurance companies wanted to cover dual instruction to licensed pilots, I guess Iím not too surprised that they donít want to touch student pilots flying solo.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:00 AM

This thread is disheartening.
I am currently a glider student and will want to get ASEL after I am done with that. Still considering aircraft options but doing at least the last part of training in a RV, kitfox, or old tailwheel is of strong interest to me. Sounds like insurance for anything other than a spam can is just going to be crazy.

Wondering if there really is any options.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:32 AM

Regular spam can insurance is going up to. Itís all relative to what your used to. My lancair cost 3300 this year to insure, no open pilot policy and I listed two lower time lancair guys, but have thousands of hours in everything else but that doesnít matter.
Old 06-17-2019, 07:09 PM

I guess what I am seeing here is consistent with what I have found. I tried Falcon who has the EAA deal and no success there either. Sounds like something
EAA could address for its members.
Hph 304CZ
RV6 built and sold
N199EC RV6A flying
Learn the facts. "Democracy dies in darkness"
Old 06-18-2019, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kclo4 View Post
This thread is disheartening.
I am currently a glider student and will want to get ASEL after I am done with that. Still considering aircraft options but doing at least the last part of training in a RV, kitfox, or old tailwheel is of strong interest to me.
FWIW, if you're getting your primary training in a glider anyway, you're already going to know how to use your feet. Going to a Cessna for your PPL and then coming back to a tailwheel later isn't going to be a huge problem.
Old 06-18-2019, 10:46 AM

Default Renter's Insurance

Has anyone tried aircraft renter's insurance for the student? This is a way a student has insurance in a rental aircraft. The insurance follows the student for the solo flights.

Brad Ransom
http://www.westcoastravens.com
RV-6A 180HP-acquired
RV-4 180HP-acquired
Old 06-18-2019, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtailwind View Post
Has anyone tried aircraft renter's insurance...
Renter's insurance does not cover the airplane you (partially) own.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isosceles View Post
Renter's insurance does not cover the airplane you (partially) own.
And if you don't own part of it, the owner can't rent it to you. Sounds like you must get your PPL in a spam can, if you want insurance.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:59 PM

non-owned aircraft/renters insurance could be an option; as it doesn't sound like the friend is partner yet.

You couldn't charge rent without a LODA but i believe it's still legal for primary training if you just let him use it. It's my understanding he could pay for consumables such as gas and oil, but you couldn't charge more than that.

So I guess it depends on how good of friend he is if you're just willing to give him the time it takes for him to be able to get onto your normal insurance, he could buy in at that time.
FLYING!!! as of 7/22/10
Build Log