What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album

N712BK First Flight

This morning N712BK departed terra firma for its first flight with Pete at the controls. Not only did Pete do the first flight, he also diagnosed an ignition problem that had been plaguing the ground testing. With the problem corrected N712BK was ready to fly. Flying chase was my building mentor and friend, Jan, flying his RV-4. To Pete, Jan, and all the fine people at Eagle's Nest that helped with advice, special tools and moral support, a great big Texas Thanks! Also a big Texas Thanks to Marty and all the builders that blogged and posted their tips on the RV-12 Forum. I started every building day with a review of all the new posts on the RV-12 Forum and took advantage of all your good information and suggestions.

Now the fun begins,let's fly, and gitty-up!
Bob Kibby

Having trouble posting photo so photo will follow when I get it figured out.

Missing RV-12 1st Flights

Van's is showing 30, but we only have 25 here. (The FAA is showing 58 assigned tail numbers, too!) Is someone keeping their first flight a secret?? ;)

Tony

Tony,

I don't know why Van's First Flights web page shows more 1st Flights than we can find. I look at Van's page and the VAF web site for 1st Flights - and also do advanced searches on Google. But I usually turn up no new flights using Google.

Van's web site probably has the best explanation - see their "First Flights" page. The owners are probably just too busy enjoying flying their new RV-12 to tell us about it immediately after the first flight.

(Since you wrote your comment, we have found two of the "missing" 5 RV-12s: Max Hyatt's and Bob Kibby's.)

Don

26th RV-12 to Fly: Max Hyatt's N40MH

Congratulations to Max Hyatt for flying his RV-12 for the first time on 3 Apr 2010! It flew from the Deer Valley Airport in Phoenix, AZ. N40MH, SN 120128.

And thank you, Max, for emailing me with your photos and information! If you did not take the time to do that, we would not hear of your achievement for some time!

Your plane has been added to "RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album". And a place has been reserved in the Album for another photo with you in or beside your plane! Please send one when you have time. Thanks!

Don

This morning N712BK departed terra firma for its first flight with Pete at the controls . . . .

. . . . Now the fun begins,let's fly, and gitty-up!
Bob Kibby

Having trouble posting photo so photo will follow when I get it figured out.

Congratulations, Bob!

I am looking forward to posting your plane's photo to the Album when you can send it in! (Please also send SN. Thanks!)

Don

27th RV-12 to Fly! Bob Kibby's N712BK

Congratulations, Bob! Your RV-12 is the 27th RV-12 to Fly! Your N712BK, SN 120105, is now posted to "RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album"
Thanks very much for sending me your photo and SN. Great that Pete is near enough to help you.

Don

First Michigan RV-12 to fly

My friend, Ren Sagaert, received the airworthiness certificate on 4-23-2010 and flew N551CG for the first time the same day at Ray Community Airport (57D). After landing and opening the canopy, he had the RV-Grin. His builder number is 120020. Van's Aircraft told him that he is #31 to fly.
Joe
Ren%27s%20RV-12.JPG

Last edited:
My friend, Ren, received the airworthiness certificate on 4-23-2010 and flew it for the first time the same day. After landing and opening the canopy, he had the RV-Grin. His builder number is 120020. Add one more to the list of RV-12's that are flying.
Joe

Great news, Joe! Can you or Ren post a photo? Also appreciated would be Ren's last name, N number, and where the flight took place. Thanks!

Don

PS You can also attach an image file to an email, and send to me, if that would be easier. ([email protected])

Last edited:
New photo of Larry Geiger's RV-12: New paint!

Great paint job, Larry!!

Thanks for posting your new photos. I posted one of them to the RV-12 Photo Album. (I really liked the photo of your plane in front of Van's tent, but I picked the one I thought showed your paint job the best.)

New builders already have a great selection of paint jobs to give them ideas for their own plane - thanks to all you first builders.

Don

Last edited:
28th RV-12 to Fly: Ren Sagaert's N551CG

Congratulations, Ren Sagaert, on your first flight on 23 April 2010!

I understand Van's says you are the 31st RV-12 to fly. Since I have no information on the other first flights, I have posted you as #28 in RV-12 first Flights: Photo Album for now.

Thanks to Joe Gores for sending in the info on this flight. He says you flew from Ray Community Airport (57D) in Ray, MI.

Don

29th RV-12 to Fly: Jim Cone's SN 120001

Congratulations, Jim, on your plane's first flight! You have been an inspiration and mentor to all RV-12 builders! All of us in the RV community wish you well!

Jim Cone fans: Please read all the tributes other builders have written about Jim at: CLICK HERE

Jim's plane flew for the first time on 27 Apr 2010. N431RV is now owned by Howard Germon. A photo will follow, I'm sure.

Don

30th RV-12 to Fly: Bob Eicher's SN 120156

Congratulations, Bob Eicher, on your RV-12's first flight! N113RE took to the air on 29 Apr 2010 from the Spruce Creek Airport in Datona Beach, FL.

Thanks for the first flight pictures! We look forward to close-up pictures of you and your plane.

Don

31st RV-12 Flew on 30 Apr 2010

Congratulations, Norm Taylor, on sucessfully finishing your RV-12, SN 120013!

Your pictures are now posted in RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album. All can see your plane, N112NT, as it lifts off for the first time!

Don

FIRST FLIGHT

This morning at 1015Z N800LH slipped the surly bonds for the first time! What a GREAT airplane! Flew for a half hour and everything worked properly. Plane may not need any trimming, but a little too soon to tell for sure as I have not examined the whole flight envelope in so short a flight! Now the work begins in earnest doing the PAP flight cards. I will e-mail a picture of 800LH to Don as soon as I finish this paragraph. I have no flight pics as I snuck out early before anyone else was awake to take advantage of the calm morning wind and I was nervous enough without people watching! Actually as soon as I poured the coal her on the take off run (very quick!) the nerves settled down.
Larry (120052)

Last edited:
32nd RV-12 to Fly!

This morning at 1015Z N800LH slipped the surly bonds for the first time! . . . Larry (120052)

Congratulations, Larry! I believe your RV-12 is the first to be painted green! A nice shade of green, which you have labeled "Simple Green".

Thanks for sending me the photo. Good Job!

Your plane's photos have been posted to RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Don

Last edited:
33rd RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations, Jim Barkley, for your RV-12's first flight at 1800Z on 15 May 2010! I understand that Caleb Glick was your test pilot who flew N475JB from your airport at Grodonsville, VA (GVE).

Your plane's photo has been posted to RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Thanks very much for sending me the info I needed.

Don

Last edited:
Don, I would like to offer my thanks to you for your continued efforts in keeping up this blog. It is the inspiration we all need to help us keep building! Congratulations to the 33 RV12 Grinners so far.

Marcus,

It's the thank-you's from builders like you that keeps me posting to the Photo Album! My other motivation is seeing the beautiful RV-12s being created!

And isn't it great that this fine VAF Web site can make Melborne, Australia seem to be next door to Madison, WI, USA!

Don

34th RV-12 to Fly! John Masterman's SN 120147

Congratulations, John Masterman! Yours is the 34th RV-12 to Fly! I understand you would not let even a tornado stop you!

Thanks for sending me your photos and info! Test pilot: Mitch Williams; N120R; plane weight: 714 pounds; airport: Chickasha Municipal Airport (CHK) near Oklahoma City, OK.

I have posted your info to RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Don

thanks

I would like to thank Jim Cone, Jerry Greenburg, Marty Santic, Larry Geiger, Scott McDaniels, and everyone else on the forum and blogs. What a great community!
John

What Marcus said...

Marcus,

It's the thank-you's from builders like you that keeps me posting to the Photo Album! My other motivation is seeing the beautiful RV-12s being created!

And isn't it great that this fine VAF Web site can make Melborne, Australia seem to be next door to Madison, WI, USA!

Don

... and also Perth, Western Australia

Robert
RV120346

35th RV-12 to Fly! Dave Lawrence's SN 120076

Congratulations, Dave Lawrence, on the first flight of your RV-12, N3312L, SN 120076!

Don

Dave Lawrence wrote: "Friday, May 21, 2010, Dave Lawrence's RV-12, N3312L, Ser.no.120076, transitioned from a kit to an airplane with a successful inspection by Al Kimball of the Orlando FSDO. It then proceeded to prove its airworthiness with air under the tires about noon. First flight at Florida's Palmetto Manatee Airport was typical, much anticipated and much enjoyed.

This project is the third completed RV of my father, Lin Lawrence: an RV-6A, N33EL, in 1993; an RV-9A, N339DL, in 2004 and now this RV-12, N3312L airborne one month after his death in April at age 93. Special thanks to Jerry Huffman who became the primary builder, his able helper Jerry Beavon, and test pilot Bill Bruner. This plane will take up residence in Maine after painting.

Thanks Van for a great design and kit, and this great website for countless helpful tips."

Last edited:
First Flight

First flight of N912RJ went off uneventfull and the RV12 flew perfectly. It just didn't want to land.
That wing loves to fly. Shot four landings and everything just got better. All I can say is, "you're going to love it". So get 'em flying.

Dick Jacobs
Garland, TX
IMG_1403-1.jpg

36th RV-12 to Fly!

Congratulations, Dick Jacobs! Yours is the 36th RV-12 to fly! Your RV-12's SN is 120057, I believe. Please let me know if this is incorrect.
I like the dark grey - looks good enough to be final paint, whether its primer or not!
Sounds like you are already having a blast with it!
Your photo is in the Photo Album as #36.

Don

Thanks

Yes - my serial number is 120057 and the paint is primer but it will be
painted with a dark charcoal gray with lighter gray 'flying diamonds' on
the areas with primer. The rest will be polished.

Dick Jacobs

37th RV-12 to Fly: John Sheffels' N787MS

Congratulations, John Sheffels! Your RV-12 is the 37th to fly!

Thanks for sending in your info and photo. Great paint job!

Don

A quote from John:

"This morning, May 31, I took my first flight in my RV-12, 787MS, S/N: 120073. Last week I finished Transition Training with Mike Seager in Vernonia, OR, using Van?s RV-12. Things went well today."

John Sheffels
Great Falls, MT

First Flight...O Boy!

I have been waiting for a break in the rainy Washington weather and an opportunity happened this morning, so I flew the first flight (at Bremerton National, KPWT). Some scud, but light winds and good visibility. More rain coming tonight and the rest of this week, but first flight was great and am looking forward to more fun RV-12 flying ahead.
888013020_uaom5-M.jpg

The -12 sure is a well mannered little plane, tracks staight on take-off with its big rudder, lifts off with gusto, and is responsive but not scary. I found it easy, and a delight, to land. This was a short flight so I don't know the whole story yet, but can't wait to go again.

Tony

Last edited:
Congratulations Tony!

I have been following your progress on your photo-blog for so long that I almost felt a part of the project. It looks great!

Congratulations Tony, you are an inspiration! Your web photos are my saviour! Enjoy your bird. I'm going green with envy.:):D

45th RV-12 to fly

I noticed on Van's counter that 44 RV-12's had flown, so I must be 45. S/N 120025 took to the air in Michigan this morning. It flew fine of course (It is an RV), but will need to have a wedge added to the rudder. Thanks to all the help I have received on this forum.
Jake

DeHaan_lg.jpg

Last edited:
First Flight

Way to go Tony. It will take some doing to get that RV grin off your face.

Art Pennanen

Last edited:
38th RV-12 to Fly! Jake DeHaan's SN 120025

I noticed on Van's counter that 44 RV-12's had flown, so I must be 45. S/N 120025 took to the air in Michigan this morning. It flew fine of course (It is an RV), but will need to have a wedge added to the rudder. Thanks to all the help I have received on this forum.
Jake

Jake,

Congratulations on your first flight! You are joining a great group of RV-12 builders who are now flying!

You may very well be the 45th RV-12 to fly. However, I cannot verify your exact number, because several RV-12 builders have not gone public. So, for now you are # 38! Hope you don't mind. If any missing builders decide to go public, I will add them to the album and adjust numbers.

Thanks for sending me your wheels up time!

Don

Last edited:
39th RV-12 to Fly! Tony Tessitore's RV-12 SN 120202

I have been waiting for a break in the rainy Washington weather and an opportunity happened this morning, so I flew the first flight (at Bremerton National, KPWT). . . .

The -12 sure is a well mannered little plane, tracks staight on take-off with its big rudder, lifts off with gusto, and is responsive but not scary. I found it easy, and a delight, to land. . . . can't wait to go again.

Tony

Tony,

Congratulations on your first flight! Lots of people have been following your blog, and really appreciate your contributions!

Thanks for sending your wheels up time.

Don

First Flight

Another dream takes wings. On an August night in 2008 while lying in a tent at Oshkosh my wife and I dared to dream that we too could build our own aircraft. One thousand one hundred hours and twelve thousand plus rivets later, the dream became a reality. On the morning of June 4, 2010, N775DJ received it's airworthiness certificate and it's first flight later that afternoon. This plane was a lot of fun to build and is going to be a great plane to fly. Thanks for all your help. Now just tell us how to get this RV Grin off our faces.

David & Jane, 120126

Another dream takes wings. On an August night in 2008 while lying in a tent at Oshkosh my wife and I dared to dream that we too could build our own aircraft. One thousand one hundred hours and twelve thousand plus rivets later, the dream became a reality. On the morning of June 4, 2010, N775DJ received it's airworthiness certificate and it's first flight later that afternoon. This plane was a lot of fun to build and is going to be a great plane to fly. Thanks for all your help. Now just tell us how to get this RV Grin off our faces.

David & Jane, 120126

The name of this thread is RV-12 First Flights: PHOTO ALBUM. :D

40th RV-12 to Fly! David & Jane's SN 120126

Sorry don't know how to send photo. Can you help?

David,

Congratulations on realizing your dream!

Another way to add your photo to the Photo Album: Just send me an email with your photo as an attached file.

Don

[email protected]

Here are your photos, David! Thanks for sending them!

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BAVDZrVEGWq4dY5jCpg4Dg?feat=directlink

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/umw3aarpaiZMVaz41xN2kw?feat=directlink

Last edited:
N1212K Flys!

On May 17 DAR Mel Asberry Passed N1212K and awarded me an airworthiness Certificate.

P1010032.jpg

This evening 6/5/2010 at KDTO at 645pmct N1212K flew its first flight without mishap.

P1010026.jpg

Please add me to the first flight list. THXS John

P1010033-1.jpg

41st RV-12 to Fly! Congratulations to John William and his SN 120079!

On May 17 DAR Mel Asberry Passed N1212K and awarded me an airworthiness Certificate.

This evening 6/5/2010 at KDTO at 645pmct N1212K flew its first flight without mishap.

Congratulations on your first flight, John! Your plane is beautiful! Thanks for posting very nice photos of your plane and (apparently) an important passenger. Will she be a "wing-sitter" in flight, or will she be a "right-seater" inside?

Your photos are now posted to the RV-12 First Flights: Photo Album.

Don

Alan Zwink launched S/N 120164 today at 5:45 PM CST as N7185A.

Zwank_003__Medium_.jpg

Test pilot and RV-10 builder Dean Sombke, Grand Island, NE was the official test pilot as Alan is a student pilot and plans to use the -12 as his trainer. Dean reported no squawks and the plane flew as advertised. Now, if we can only get him to land we can go out and celebrate! Dean! Land the dang plane! I'm thirsty!

Zwank_005__Medium_.jpg

Paul Story, Stein Air will be interested in this first flight of this particular RV-12 as he started the kit and Alan bought it from him a year ago in April and took it to completion.

Last edited:
Back