What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dumbest mistake in an airplane

1st tailwheel flight

I started early. I still had wet ink on my PPL with a grand total of 35 hrs in my log book (141 school) and bought a T-craft. Didn't need an endorsement back then but I was scheduled for a check out the next week. Then another T-craft owner who's plane was down for recover suggested we go to a fly-in in mine. All was good until we landed and rolled out in the rotor wash of a just landed National Guard helicopter. The resulting gyrations popped of one of the tail wheel springs loose. I was in the left seat which had the brakes. With my unfamiliarity of heel brakes and ineffectiveness of Shinn brakes we were along for the ride. We headed for a parallel grass taxi way passing between two runway lights and stopping between two taxing aircraft pointed 180 deagrees from where we started. Fortunately there was no damage to anything. We put the spring back on and flew it home. I got checked out the next week and flew that plane another 450 hrs.

Baggage door...

It's just a little bitty oil door. Ummm, just so you know, an RV-8 flies just fine with the front baggage door standing open. Actually, it's AOA sensitive...closes itself on downwind, then opens automatically in the flare so all your buddies can see ;)

The unlatched RV-8 baggage door is just fine in flight ...until slipping to lose altitude on final, then it opens all the way...

Don’t ask me how I know...

I never did find the keys that fell out on short final. Now I only use one set of keys on the plane...and if the baggage door is unlocked, the keys stay in the lock!

Skylor

I had a grand total of 8 hours post checkride for my PPL back in the spring of 2000, and knew everything there was to know about flying. It was early March and I saddled up with 2 buddies and some bags in a tired old rental 172 and set out for the mountains to go snow skiing. My instructor had covered density altitude, and I figured I had a good handle on that - but all our training had been at 600' ground altitude and we had never handled or discussed high altitude leaning for best power, I didn't even know that was a thing.

The cross country went fine, stopped in Albuquerque and topped off the tanks then headed for Durango. Landing north that day with a stong west wind, approach was mostly good down to about 200 feet - of course I was coming in full rich and full flaps like I had always done before, and at least 15 knots left crosswind which I was confident I could handle because I had done it at least once before. I passed downwind of some hangars on very short final and caught some good rolling winds off those, dropped like a rock, and did the only smart thing I would do for the next 30 seconds - went to full power and forgot about landing.

At full rich and 8000 density altitude, in a tired old 172 that was near gross, the result was predictable. The rpm came up, the descent shallowed a bit, but we were still going down. Riding the stall horn the whole time, I quit fighting the crosswind and concentrated on keeping wings level (still full flaps - never pulled them up in full blind panic) and went east of the runway over the grass. I was yelling "We're going in!" to my passengers as we finally stopped the descent at 2, maybe 3 feet AGL in ground effect with a half dozen angels pushing up on the wingtips, and finally eked out about a hundred feet per minute climb when I remembered to pull up one notch of flaps. I pleaded, cajoled, whined, and sweet-talked the airplane up to near pattern altitude and tower asked me if I would like some assistance. I replied that I would be selecting a different airport with a runway more into the wind, and standby while I get myself sorted out.

We went to Animas Airpark uneventfully, my buddies went skiing the next day while I found an local instructor and got 5 hours of real mountain flying training. Best lesson I ever could have learned, and just barely avoided wrinkling metal getting there. They say the 100-hour mark is the most dangerous point for a new pilot, guess I was ahead of the curve.

You are number 3

Just after my solo, I was coming to my local airport. This place was always busy with straight ins and trainers in the pattern. So tower told me I was number three. So I looked down, one Cessna had crossed the fence, second Cessna was on short final, so I immediately turned base to slot behind the second guy. As soon as I turned final, I heard a plane over me and looked up Thru the Cessna skylights to see another Cessna over me climbing away. The guy I cut off must have been on a high final because I never saw him. Only thing the controller did was ask if I saw him, and then cleared me to land. Still cant figure out how he was counting planes on final. Now if the count is more than 2, I ask the controller to call my turn to base.

A few days ago I was covering my 6A after some mild aerobatics and noticed that the last time I put the engine cowl on I totally missed the lower half of the port side hinge with my hinge pin. Breathed a little prayer of thanks that the top half of the cowl came back with me and the plane.

Funniest dumb mistake was trying to taxi off with my wings still tied. My first time passenger was not impressed, but didn't bail and we went on to have a very nice flight. John

As an Intermediate Jet student about halfway through Flight School in Meridian, MS my class and I were going out for a night, solo, field carrier landing practice (FCLP) flight. Planning to takeoff as a flight, the four of us start our jets and taxi to ?Marshall? to wait for the rest of the group.

-4 (who is a super cautious / timid student) calls us on the inter-flight frequency and says he?s going to have to down his jet for a burned out map light. All of the rest of us proceed to give him a hard time, until we shame him into launching. We continue giving him grief the whole taxi to the runway.

Throw the power up on takeoff, and get the master caution because the ejection seat isn?t armed, wait, the flaps aren?t down, every one of us were so busy giving -4 grief we forgot to do the takeoff checklist!!!

Of course we took off anyway and didn?t say a peep to our IP?s. We still laugh about that one...

It's just a little bitty oil door. Ummm, just so you know, an RV-8 flies just fine with the front baggage door standing open. Actually, it's AOA sensitive...closes itself on downwind, then opens automatically in the flare so all your buddies can see ;)

As I stood there watching the buyer of my RV8 taxi away, I was a bit puzzled when he shut down the engine at the runway hold short line. He got out of the aircraft to lock the forward baggage door.

Tow bar story: At a monthly breakfast fly-in we watched a Cessna enter downwind with the tow bar attached. We broadcasted that fact to him but much to our surprise he then departed the pattern I guess rather than facing the wrath of his peers.

As a newly minted PP my mother-in-law was my second ever passenger. Just as we lifted off in the C-150 her passenger door popped open. That was the first and last time she ever flew with me.

Last edited:
Stupid Stunt

Took my girlfriend for her first-ever airplane ride in the Globe Swift. Made a high speed pass down the runway with a rather steep pull-up at the departure end. Only notice I gave her was "Hang-On!" My right arm got VERY sore during the climb out. Stupid Stunt!

She eventually forgave me. We've now been married for over 42 years and she's had her Private Pilot Certificate for 35.

A "friend of mine" had just had his autopilot control unit replaced in his Mooney 201. Before the 1st flight with this new controller the avionics shop showed him how to tweak the unit in flight so the it would fly the heading bug more accurately. After the tower gave him taxi instructions to the furthest runway, he decided to engage the autopilot and play with the settings while taxiing. Before departure, runup went good and off he went. The 1st sign of something not being right was when the plane didn't rotate at it's usual airspeed. The second sign of trouble (about 1/2 second later) was when the mains lifted off the ground and the nose didn't. Instead of an instant abort, reflexes had my friend pull back harder on the yoke! The plane did get airborne, but it was trying HARD to dive back to the ground.

Luckily, the runway was 5,600 feet. So, plenty of time to abort and get this thing back on the ground. The 1st attempt to plant this thing back down led to a bounce. That's when his Mooney transition instructor voice played in his head to "NEVER try to salvage a bounce in a Mooney, always go around". So, with another 1/10th of a second to think, he added full power. Again, the plane REALLY wanted to dive to the earth as if it were a navy fighter dive bombing the enemy! It took every bit of his strength to keep it flying.

At this moment, he realized 2 things at once... 1) he could not go around, the forces to go down were too strong. 2) he was QUICKLY running out of runway!

Fortunately the fence was a good 100 yard past the runway end, so grass didn't seem so bad of a choice right now. After a quick call to tower to announce an aborted takeoff and the impending exit off the runway at the end, he FINALLY got the plane down on the 2nd attempt and rolled off the end of the runway between the lights and coming to a complete stop about 25 yards into the grass!

After informing the tower that he could taxi on his own power, he turned 180 to taxi back to the avionics shop with one simple question in his head, "WHAT THE H_ _ _ JUST HAPPENED?" Luckily, the only damage to the plane was a slight brownish stain that now appeared in the pilot's side leather seat ( along with an awful smell). :)

Soon, after the heart rate slowed to 175 BPM and he was taxing back to the avionics shop, he then realized what when wrong!

Evidently, the autopilot has no ideal if the nose up attitude it's sensing is while on the ground (while taxiing) or in the air flying. It just knows to trim the plane down!
So, at takeoff, the planes trim had traveled to FULL down without him noticing it!

My "friend" felt really stupid and is embarrassed that I'm sharing his story here in public. But he realizes that maybe it will prevent some other idiot from making the same mistake some day.

Addition to Mooney tales

This one is in two,parts...
First part - in preflight of my ?61 M20B, noticed that a mud dobber really liked my pitot tube as his/her new home. Tried to dig it out (gently, of course!), but was unsuccessful. Of course, the next thing is to try to blow it out (yes, I know all of the stories about that - but I could do it - right?). My buddy saw the needle on the airspeed make about three revolutions in a blur. Of course, now remove the a/s and send it to be recalibrated. It could, but in the discussions with the instrument shop, it was discovered that it actually was intended for a jet aircraft originally, and was good to 700kts. Not sure how that happened, it it was in the bird when I bought it and had a Mooney logo. Decided I needed to buy a sock for the pitot tube.

Second part - some time later, I was departing the Thomasville airport at the end of the flyin, and wanted to get out before the crowd. Since I flew it I that morning, of course no preflight was necessary. Everybody knows what is coming next - about halfway through the takeoff run I noticed that I had no airspeed indications. Just about that time, a helpful fellow pilot announced to the world that my pitot cover was still on. I thanked him, aborted the takeoff, removed the pitot cover, and waited in line to take off. Lesson learned and only had to deal with a bit of embarrassment.

Moved a ton of **** in my 6A with me solo. A lot of stuff in the passenger seat too. If I do that I normally put it in a good duffel bag and then use a 5 point harness to keep it in place but it was a short flight so just used one strap. All is good then on short final I am focused and could tell something isn?t correct. Not getting full stick back and my flare isn?t right. At last second my CFI?s excellent drills worked as I powered up and did a go around without incident. Found my **** in the right seat found it?s way between the stick and seat. Fixed it and landed
Anyway one out of the luck bucket as they say.

Wait and Balunce for Dummies

Many moons ago two legends in aviation loaded their small two seat airplane for the annual flight to the Mecca of Aviation. Mecca at that time did not sell adult beverages. So the number one priority was a large ice chest in the baggage area filled with adult beverages AND ICE. After a short time in the air they noticed that the stick was well forward of the normal position and the situation was slowly getting worse. A precautionary landing was made and a meeting was held. They simply refused to sacrifice and of the adult beverages. After a lengthy discussion they realized "we can buy ice at mecca". So the ice was dumped, some of the adult beverage was moved to near the First Officers feet, and the flight continued to Mecca. The names have been changed to protect the not so innocent so we will call them Capt Frick and FO Frack. Would lite adult beverage help avoid this situation?

The holy hand grenade from Monty Python

...And the count shall be to three, and never to five, and not to two, except on the way to three...

Just after my solo, I was coming to my local airport. This place was always busy with straight ins and trainers in the pattern. So tower told me I was number three. So I looked down, one Cessna had crossed the fence, second Cessna was on short final, so I immediately turned base to slot behind the second guy. As soon as I turned final, I heard a plane over me and looked up Thru the Cessna skylights to see another Cessna over me climbing away. The guy I cut off must have been on a high final because I never saw him. Only thing the controller did was ask if I saw him, and then cleared me to land. Still cant figure out how he was counting planes on final. Now if the count is more than 2, I ask the controller to call my turn to base.

My 2 dumb mistakes

1- On my first RV-7 I built I was still in college and got the airworthiness certificate. I flew it about 30 hours and felt very confident in it but it was my first airplane build so I wanted to get it completely checked out by a professional just to be safe. The closest A and P that could do a complete annual for me was a 12 minute flight away. The mechanic said that if I did all the inspection plates/cowling and fairing work he would do all the important stuff for around $300 instead of $500+ . I researched extensively on VAF (should have called vans) about flying without certain fairings but couldn?t find anything so I decided to fly the 12 minute flight without the wing root fairings and without the empennage fairing to save time being out of town. Normal takeoff occurred but as I gained speed the controls were a bit heavy and as I went over 90mph or so the tail started to buck up and down a bit: I slowed down to 70 and came right back to land ( I was quickly glad nothing worse happened and a normal landing was possible). I learned quickly that I was not, and don?t want to be, a test pilot!

2- On my second RV-7 I was selling to a guy out of state. The plane was/ still is beautiful and I painted it with an extremely expensive paint ($1600 a gallon). The new owner (of about 20 minutes) was packing it up for the 2 day flight back home and I asked if he wanted any of the freebies that I had for that plane. I gave him a few things like extra fuses and a couple tools and equipment that helped with working on specific parts and I also said I had a 1/4 gallon of extremely expensive paint that I was just gonna throw away. We made sure the lid was secure and packed it in the baggage compartment. I watched the new owner take off and on climbing out I saw the plane roll to one side quickly and turn right back around to land. My anxiety went wild on why he came back to land.. he shut down the engine right in front of me and his face was pale white. He thought the engine exploded and he was gonna crash but instead he had a bunch of paint on his stuff and I had an hour long job of cleaning the baggage compartment to keep it from looking like a paintball war occurred back there.

One of my all time favorite captains to fly with owned a RV4. He owned a summer lakeside cabin about 70 miles north of our airline's headquarters. He was due a semi-annual simulator check and decided to fly the RV4 down to headquarters.

He threw his flight bag filled with worldwide Jepp coverage in the back. He loved aerobatics. On the return trip, forgetting he had a 30 pound flight kit not secured in the baggage compartment, decided to put on an aerobatic show back at the lake. During the first pull-up, yep you guessed it, the shift in CG put him out of control. He crashed inverted in the lake in about 10 feet of water. Miraculously he survived and later built another RV4.

Flashlight & Fuel

Years ago when I was flying in Army I had a night flight currency due. My crew-chief and I wondered out to the flight line in 20 degree winter weather in Michigan. it was dark, cold and windy, We started the pre-flight on the aircraft. I normally would have the Crew-chief call out the walk around checklist and I would do the preflight as per regs, but again it was cold, dark and windy. So, I started checking the rotor head system and asked him if he could check the fuel level and make sure it was topped off. The Fuel cap on a UH-1 is on the right side about 3 foot up the side of the fuselage. When its full you can remove the cap and look inside and see the fuel level even with the bottom of the fill port all the way across the entire fuel cell 200 Gallons. Anyway, While I'm up on top of the bird, I hear the word OOPS! So I ask, hey what's going on, My crew-chief informs me that he just dropped his lit Mini Mag-light in the fuel cell and it had sank 30 inches down in the full tank. No flight that night. Should have done my pre-flight as required.

When I was 17, fresh PPL in hand I took a girl on a date for lunch over at Catalina (AVX). All went well until it was time to leave and I discovered that I had left the master on and drained the battery......luckily they had a jump cart.

I love this thread. I have two to add

First would be heading out. Sorry. My friend was heading out to take off and got a call from the tower saying someone?s had called to say my tow bar was still attached to the front wheel. :). BTW my new technique is to NEVER leave the tow bar attached. Thanks Henry. On when my friend pulls and off when my friends puts underdog in the hanger.

The second was on a long trip to bumb f- - k Saskatchewan for a family reunion. Sorry that was a little harsh. Let?s try bumb ??? Rub? Anyways, so we are in a rented (friends well maintained) 172 at 11500 feet over the Rockies and I smell smoke. Nowhere to land. Instruments looks fine. Alternator voltage good. .?????. How about my son restringing his lacrosse racket in the back seat burning the end of the nylon strings to finish them off?

I was a CFI and student was ready for check ride. We went out for last flight review before his check ride, a confidence builder. We departed Boeing field and went West, to do air work and some T/O work at Bremerton (PWT), West of Seattle on the Olympic peninsula. After we finished the planned lesson, going back East toward Boeing Field (BFI) at about 1500 ft MSL, to stay below SeaTac (SEA) Class B, we passed by Vashon Muni airport, 2000' grass strips with trees all sides. It's on Vashon island in the Puget sound. You can see downtown Seattle from there. It is a challenge to land there with an engine.

I pulled the power to idle near Vashon and announced engine failure. https://www.airnav.com/airport/2S1 [Read the additional Remarks, look at photo and terminal chart in link ]

Cub landing Vashon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9aF7CuaSpU
Maule landing Vashon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjk36mDERtQ
Landing and taking off to the South: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZVJNS9r2s
Vintage Waco Bi-Plane landing Vashon: https://youtu.be/NFFdbmfY6EA

We just past Vashon to the North of the Field about to go over the Puget sound water. Without issue the student made a right turn back towards Vashon, setting up best glide, while trouble shooting. He was high on a LH dog leg to Runway 17. Using flaps, S-turns slipping he landed dead stick at Vashon to the South. I was proud. He did everything I taught him.

Now the problem (CFI in right seat me). C152's are not a power house, two adult men and full fuel we were under gross but not by much. Now don't judge, C152's are NOT not that big of a dog as you might think. At gross, SL, STD day they are typical or better than many light GA planes. However the C152 we were in that day was an Aerobat. It weights more than a regular C152, but we were still under gross. Unknown to me the airplane was about to have an engine overhaul. This 115HP Lyc O-235 was tired tired tired.

Although it was a sunny (for Seattle that is broken or overcast with holes) it had rained a lot the day before, a lot. Vashon is a grass strip and was a bit wet.

So we landed South and took off North on 35, winds were light but favored North T/O. Student taxis to get full length, configures 10 degree flaps, runs up, and starts take-off. The wet grass made acceleration sluggish, more than I expected. Between being near gross, the weak engine and warm humid field conditions (about 300 field Elev) it was struggling. The manual would be about 700 foot ground roll and 1300 foot to clear 50' obstacle. We had over 2000 feet. For ground roll on dry grass add 15%. about 800 feet, total 1400 feet to clear obstacle. The grass was not dry and the trees were above 50', but there was another factor.....

Student used good soft field technique, 10 degree flaps, broke ground, accelerated in ground effect, but he got too low and skipped off the ground at a wet spot scrubbing speed. We were back airborne and he rotated to Vx. When the student touched down during T/O run, I should have told him to reject the T/O. That was my second mistake. The first mistake was not considering field conditions and landing in the first place. Once we had the field made during practice engine out, we could have balk the landing and the lesson would have been effective.

So we now are climbing more than half way down the runway, committed. I could tell the trees at departure end were coming (even though I could not see them with the nose up). Keep in mind the proverbial AFM/POH "50' obstacle" can be 100' tall in Washington state.

I took the plane from the student (first and only time I urgently took a plane from a student in my CFI days). I banked left about 45 degree heading change, where there was a low spot in the tree tops. There is a house there. The clearing with tall trees displaced away from runway gave more room to climb than straight ahead. I am sure if the folks were home they were thrilled.

I got a few intermittent stall beeps in the turn, but we were climbing. This is where minimum controllable airspeed practice pays off. I watch the tree tops that were on the straight out departure out my right side window, slightly above our altitude. We climbed out safely on our left 45 departure. I accelerated to Vy, cleaned up, gave the plane back to student and calmly said, I'll explain on the ground. Pretty sure the right side of my face was sweating. "Let's go home" I said.

Student made a turn to East straight across the Puget sound to BFI at 1000' MSL to stay below SEA Class B. To get into BFI you have to drop to 800MSL to say under Bravo. This arrival from West you can't see Boeing Field (a very large airport), due to a ridge you cross at only a few 100' AGL. Once past the ridge at "the reservoir" you are mid-field 90 degrees from the downwind leg. Depending on wind you make a 90 degree turn for left or right down wind. We landed, safely on the ground at Boeing Field about 5 mins after our Vashon "Pucker-1" departure.

It was poor judgement to do a practice forced landing to full stop without planning. It was spontaneous, which is a bad thing in airplanes. The other C152's in the schools fleet with lighter basic empty weight, stronger engines, on a dry 2000 ft grass runway would be OK. However with all things considered, a C-152 does not leave a lot of extra room on short obstacle fields even with dry turf. This was way closer than I liked. I only went back to Vashon with students in C-172's and no recent rain, and only on request. I recall students were not allowed to go in there solo.

My student passed his Pvt check ride. (Proud to say all my students did.) As for the Aerobat, I saw her in the hanger next day with the engine off for an overhaul. That is when I realized it was a tired high time TBO engine. This was 27 years ago and still remember it. I looked at Photos of Vashon today. I'm glad to see it is still there, and they have clear cut the trees to the North end, and topped trees on the South end. They also built more hangers. I found 4 accidents in the last few years near or at Vashon, 3 related to takeoff and the soft (wet) runway. Here are two.

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...tID=20001208X09120&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=LA

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/R...tID=20120526X53325&AKey=1&RType=HTML&IType=CA

https://www.airport-data.com/images/airports/001/001120.jpg

Vashon_2S1_07.jpg

Last edited:
George,

I got my first aerobatic time in that Aerobat about 30 years ago. Wonder if we ever crossed paths...

A good while ago when they were still doing "position and hold" at class D towered airports, a friend of mine, Larry, was given such an instruction so he taxied onto a runway. Another airplane missed the turn off on his landing roll which meant he had to taxi all the way to the end of the runway and he wasn't being quick about it, so my friend sat there on the centerline in his Bonanza.

A student pilot in a C172 was on final. Remember Larry is holding on the runway. Paraphrasing the conversation here.

Tower: "Cessna XXX go around"
Cessna: "Cessna XXX going around"

Some time passes.

Tower: "Cessna XXX, GO AROUND"
Cessna: "Cessna XXX is going around"

A little more time.

Tower: "Cessna XXX, GO AROUND NOW, make right traffic"
Cessna: "Cessna XXX, I'm going around the right"

As Larry told the story, he was getting understandably nervous. He said he looks out and just about ground level the Cessna passes him on the right, re-aligns with the runway, and lands.

RIP, Larry. Far too young. Alzheimer's sucks.

A good while ago when they were still doing "position and hold" at class D towered airports, a friend of mine, Larry, was given such an instruction so he taxied onto a runway. Another airplane missed the turn off on his landing roll which meant he had to taxi all the way to the end of the runway and he wasn't being quick about it, so my friend sat there on the centerline in his Bonanza.
A student pilot in a C172 was on final. Remember Larry is holding on the runway. Paraphrasing the conversation here.
Tower: "Cessna XXX go around"
Cessna: "Cessna XXX going around"
Some time passes.
Tower: "Cessna XXX, GO AROUND"
Cessna: "Cessna XXX is going around"
A little more time.
Tower: "Cessna XXX, GO AROUND NOW, make right traffic"
Cessna: "Cessna XXX, I'm going around the right"
As Larry told the story, he was getting understandably nervous. He said he looks out and just about ground level the Cessna passes him on the right, re-aligns with the runway, and lands.
RIP, Larry. Far too young. Alzheimer's sucks.

I don't understand the confusion. After all, the Cessna went around him to the right! Did he not?

Yep. This one ranks right up there with the Captain who decided to abort the landing, and called for ?takeoff power?. The First officer promptly took the power off.

It's amazing how much cognitive ability you lose when stressed. Back when I had maybe 150 hrs, I was asked to fly my Cessna 150 over to PDX for a Horizon Air sponsored Boy and Girl Scout aviation day. No problem, I said, but inside was really stressed about landing at PDX. Flight over went great, day went great, but winds picking up in the afternoon to gusting to 19kt crosswind had me nervous. Did my preflight, weather check, etc, distracted by the stress of navigating around the airport amongst the big boys, and dealing with the wind. Managed to communicate well enough to get all the way to the hold short line and was instructed to "position and hold". At that time, I had no idea what that meant, so I asked. The reply was to "disregard and hold position", rather gruffly. At this time the radio chatter was coming hard and fast (at least to a relative newbie used to uncontrolled airports). It is now about 4:30 in the afternoon and the airport was getting busy with incoming traffic. OK, I'll just wait. After the departing plane was gone, and another landed, and traffic was stacking up behind me, I was cleared for takeoff! Cool, finally out of here... except as soon as I started my takeoff run, the oil check door started flapping in the breeze pretty violently! ****, I got on the radio and told them I had an issue and exited the runway at the first exit. Handed off to ground for coordination. Now, I'm a gnat on a huge piece of asphalt with big boys all around and no idea where I am or where to go... Got out of the plane (copilot holding the brakes), got the door closed up, got back in line worried about getting blown into next week by someone's exhaust blast, finally make it back to the hold short line. This time, the clearance was "cleared for takeoff, no delay". OK, you don't have to tell me twice; it was pretty much full throttle from the line and off as soon as I could get the thing in the air. At about 200' AGL on runway 10L I was instructed to "turn left to 010"... in other words, "get lost dude!"

Stressful, but I've never left the door open again!

Tim

Back