What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best Aircraft Tug

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I see a lot of debate, opinions, offers, WTBs, etc. regarding aircraft tugs. There's one going on in some thread drift over in classified right now (didn't want to hijack the thread). After two lower disc blowouts, it was time to get some help pushing a one ton (minimum) aircraft up a slight incline and over hangar door tracks. I already have have too many single purpose tools. Used Golf Carts are comparatively cheap. It's also easy and quick to find other uses around the airport. Compare the costs of a used cart and $ to add hitches and possibly a bracket to carry the tow bar, etc. and it's still way cheaper than almost any dedicated airplane tool. Got a tail dragger? Not to hard to figure out. Compare everything. Just sayin'

j3KjYv9JBj7yC7CSA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j3KjYv9JBj7yC7CSA

Last edited:
... my car

It's substantially uphill and sod out of my hangar. I wrap rope around the RV-4 gear legs, pop the trunk, tie it to the trunk latch... Super quick, safe and I never worry about a stupid little engine or charged batteries.

-Bruce

+1 on Golf Cart

. <snip> Used Golf Carts are comparatively cheap. It's also easy and quick to find other uses around the airport. Compare the costs of a used cart and $ to add hitches and possibly a bracket to carry the tow bar, etc. and it's still way cheaper than almost any dedicated airplane tool. Got a tail dragger? Not to hard to figure out. Compare everything. Just sayin' </snip>

j3KjYv9JBj7yC7CSA

https://photos.app.goo.gl/j3KjYv9JBj7yC7CSA

1989 Model Club Car Electric. Has a mini tilting pickup bed instead of the rear seat. It was "rode hard and put up wet" as a gardener vehicle before I bought it - but it works great for dragging the RV-7 off the grass at Moontown up a slight incline into the hangar.

I have four, yes four artificial discs in my spine. I have a best tug alpha. It?s amazing and I can drive the RV7 around with three fingers. The company is also equally amazing as well.

Back