What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Addition made to all RV tail/empennage kits

greghughespdx

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We recently made a small addition to every RV tail/empennage kit we ship. We’re now including our OP-51 “Sheet Metal Basics” kit, a small and practical learning exercise that folks can use to practice/develop their skills before jumping into building the actual tail kit. It certainly doesn’t replace our more advanced practice kits like the toolbox, lightbox sign or practice airfoil. In other words, this one ain’t meant to be purdy – It’s practical! Think of it as an extra opportunity to try things before you jump in, if desired. It’s especially good to use for practice in *fixing* mistakes – something we all need to feel confident in. Worried about drilling out and replacing rivets for the first time? Use this little kit to practice and don’t worry about messing it up while you’re learning. We’ve used the “Sheet Metal Basics” kit with STEM educational programs for many years to help kids learn the basic skills, too.

Included is an instruction sheet, aluminum sheet pieces and angle, plus the necessary hardware – the same sort of hardware that is commonly used in building our aircraft kits.

Don't need it? Cool! Use it to teach a kid from your neighborhood how to use the tools and build skills. And be sure to post or send us a photo of you teaching them! Spread the opportunity and help construct the next generation of builders!

You don't have to order a tail kit to get it, by the way. I mean, we certainly would like it if you did. But, if you already have your tail kit it's also available to order online at our web store for the princely sum of $10 plus shipping. You can search for "BAG SHEET METAL BASIC" to find it.

And since history tells us that someone will comment or ask: No, we didn't increase the tail kit prices because of this. ;)

IMG_4468a.jpg
IMG_4473.jpg

Last edited:
The two nut plates are invaluable for practice because the first time the nutplates are touched is when you install the elevator trim motor or installing the nutplates on the wing.

OK, now you got me started. What I really would like is to get all of the hardware of one type in individual bags instead of having a zillion bags with mixed hardware. In other words, you'd get one bag of all the AN3-5A bolts, one bag with all the AN365-1032 nuts, etc. Individual bags with specialized hardware for specific tasks are great, but why split up all of the commodity hardware. Just send me all of the rivets sorted by size in individual bags so I could just dump them into my parts drawers. I'd think this would be easier for Vans as well. OK, I'm done now

OK, now you got me started. What I really would like is to get all of the hardware of one type in individual bags instead of having a zillion bags with mixed hardware. In other words, you'd get one bag of all the AN3-5A bolts, one bag with all the AN365-1032 nuts, etc. Individual bags with specialized hardware for specific tasks are great, but why split up all of the commodity hardware. Just send me all of the rivets sorted by size in individual bags so I could just dump them into my parts drawers. I'd think this would be easier for Vans as well. OK, I'm done now

We may have heard that request before. :) In my extensive discussions with builders over the past few years, I've discovered that it turns out there are two kinds of people in the world: The people who want their hardware bagged the way it is, and people who want it bagged the way you described. And, the two groups are about equally-sized and -distributed.

For future models we'll be considering that sort of thing and listening to people. On this topic, we certainly have a lot of feedback already.

Great idea

Greg, you guys and gals are doing a great job supporting our obsession during these difficult times. Without a fuse to work on right now I'd be crawling up the walls!

When I bought my Emp kit, I asked Barb for some practice pieces to play with. She found some more scrap and included it with my kit. After drilling and riveting that pile together I felt ready to start. All down hill from there.

Hopefully more folks pass their money from the stimulus on to Vans.

Keep it up!

Keep it up!

We certainly will do what we can!

For my part, if I could get away from all of this "enable-Van's-to-work-remote" slew of work, I'd be working on my RV project... Maybe I shoulda realized when I changed careers and took this job a couple of years ago that I'd have *less* time to work on it! A lot less time, actually!

Everyone enjoy your building time, such as it is, and post pictures everywhere of your progress!

Greg,
Mine looks a little different.:p
Ready to start the 14A!
A couple more practice sets to go.
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_8073 2.jpg
    IMG_8073 2.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 125
We may have heard that request before. :) In my extensive discussions with builders over the past few years, I've discovered that it turns out there are two kinds of people in the world: The people who want their hardware bagged the way it is, and people who want it bagged the way you described. And, the two groups are about equally-sized and -distributed.

For future models we'll be considering that sort of thing and listening to people. On this topic, we certainly have a lot of feedback already.

Late to the party on this, but I'd think the way Van's bags the hardware is cost additive because of the labor involved. So if half the people like it and half don't, why not help everyone save a nickel along the way and bag all of the like stuff together?

I still don't understand the current (and long term) bagging practice.

Back