What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Medicals Extended!

bkc3921

Well Known Member
Not sure if this has already been posted here..(sorry if it has) but this was sent to me today from EAA..

FAA Policy Extends Certain Medical Certificates in Response to COVID-19
Recent Articles

March 27, 2020 - On Thursday, March 26, the FAA released a policy statement that allows any pilot who holds a first-, second-, or third-class medical certificate that is valid on March 31, 2020, to continue operating under the privileges of that certificate until June 30, 2020. The unprecedented policy is in response to the COVID-19 pandemic, allowing certificate holders to continue flying during a period when the nation's health care system is coming under strain and routine appointments such as AME visits are being deprioritized.

Given the urgent circumstances, the FAA implemented the policy by simply attesting that they will not bring enforcement action against any pilot or flight engineer with an expired medical certificate (under the criteria specified) during the three-month period. Eligible medicals under this policy include those issued under special issuances. This suspension of enforcement does not apply to those who lack a valid medical, nor does it apply to those flying with a known medical deficiency, in violation of 14 CFR 61.53(a). The policy also does not address the Comprehensive Medical Evaluation required on a four-year basis by BasicMed.

"We are pleased to see the FAA quickly clearing roadblocks to safe flight operation in this time of national emergency," said Sean Elliott, EAA vice president of advocacy and safety. "We are especially glad that the professional airmen who keep us healthy and safe, such as medevac, agricultural, cargo, and law enforcement pilots, can continue to do their jobs without the burden of renewing their medicals at this time."

EAA continues to work with other industry groups to support similar emergency actions concerning flight reviews and other currency requirements, and expects other extensions regarding these requirements to come from the agency soon. EAA reminds members to adhere to state and local emergency orders, check NOTAMS, and maintain best practices for limiting the spread of COVID-19 before choosing to fly during the pandemic.

AddThis Sharing Buttons
Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to LinkedInShare to EmailShare to Copy LinkShare to More

Typical of the faa to say ?scr.. you? to basic med pilots. They hate the idea, they won?t lift a finger to help.

Be very careful

Notice that they say they will not seek any enforcement actions. They apparently have not extended the term of the document or inspection. So technically you will be proceeding forward after expiration. Your insurance carrier or other interested parties may not have the same opinion on whether this is an issue.

Notice that they say they will not seek any enforcement actions. They apparently have not extended the term of the document or inspection. So technically you will be proceeding forward after expiration. Your insurance carrier or other interested parties may not have the same opinion on whether this is an issue.

Exactly. They did not extend the duration of the medical certificate. If you do not renew your medical, you will be operating contrary to the FARs, however, the FAA has agreed not to pursue enforcement action for this violation. Hence.. check with your insurance, because it is likely to have a clause stating you must have a current medical, so you will need a exemption granted there as well.

Exactly. They did not extend the duration of the medical certificate. If you do not renew your medical, you will be operating contrary to the FARs, however, the FAA has agreed not to pursue enforcement action for this violation. Hence.. check with your insurance, because it is likely to have a clause stating you must have a current medical, so you will need a exemption granted there as well.

Not sure I "totally" agree with this assessment...some are focusing on the portion which says they will not "bring enforcement action"...but not the part that says "continue to operate under the privileges of that certificate"...which, to me, implies that the FAA is declaring it to be "legal" in their eyes.. Either it's valid or its not... and the FAA should certainly clarify their ruling.....but I DO agree that everyone should check with their carrier just to be certain they are protected.

It is very clear in their actual policy statement that the medical need not be renewed and you are legal to fly until June 30 so long as you don't have another reason to be out of compliance. Merely being due for one is okay.

https://www.faa.gov/news/media/Enforcement_Policy_signed.pdf

I'm glad they did this. I won't be able to do any FAA exams until after the calamity passes - state rules. And it's one thing to say it's your constitutional right to do a thing; but my license hinges on compliance with state orders.....

As for your insurance I presume that if you show this document as the reason you didn't renew your medical you are "legal". But its a weird wacky world right now.

Back