What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aeromomentum Engine

KenAsson

I'm New Here
Hi,

I?ve been checking in on this forum for several years, finally getting close to pulling the trigger on an RV10 kit. (Wife approval + college costs declining = ready for takeoff)

In just gathering thoughts and ideas for my project I came across Aeromomentum Engines. They have a newish 260 hp engine. Wondering if any seasoned builders have looked at this and what your impression might be? I?ll admit I?m no expert but understand this is a 4 cylinder, water cooled, turbocharged, gear driven design which makes it fundamentally different than a tried and true Lycoming etc. How the heck are they offering it at +/- $20k when an IO540 is +/- $50k? Why should I be leary?

Here?s a link to what I saw

https://youtu.be/InfiwXFDUlo

Ken

How the heck are they offering it at +/- $20k when an IO540 is +/- $50k?

Because Mark Kettering is a realistic guy.

Why should I be leary?

You won't save $30K, as you'll wind up getting less when you sell someday...probably much more than $30K less, the reality of installing an alt engine in a conventional aircraft.

You should also be prepared for a lot of creative work, before and after first flight. Some find great satisfaction there, and some hate it.

Understand I like alternative engines. That said, I'd call an RV-10 is a poor airframe candidate. The market is (or has been) very strong for nice, conventional RV-10s with good avionics. Why compromise the investment?

question is, do you want to lead the pack and learn what not to do with a new engine? Don?t have any experience with aeromomentum but haven?t heard of one in a -10 yet.

There are a few potential alternate engines that have come up. From diesels, to the PBS turbine, to auto conversions. They can be done but it comes with some potential downsides. Mostly longer build times, more expensive, and possibly more downtime. If your goal is to learn something new or you are a huge engine buff, go for it. If you are trying to save $$?s then it may not work out the best for you.

I?m sure others can comment on auto conversions in general (what I understand the aeromomentum engines to be).

Hi,

I?ve been checking in on this forum for several years, finally getting close to pulling the trigger on an RV10 kit. (Wife approval + college costs declining = ready for takeoff)

In just gathering thoughts and ideas for my project I came across Aeromomentum Engines.

Ken

You've already received some good advise, but I'd offer the following:

Just like anyone who's at your stage of a project and asks "Garmin, Dynon, or ??? in my panel", I'd tell you not to worry about that issue until it is time to make THE decision. The offerings and the relative value of the offerings will almost certainly change a few times before you have to write that check.

If you're interested in Aeromomentum, keep an eye on this forum, their user forum, etc. and see how things play out. They may (or may not) remove themselves from your solution set before you need to make a decision.

All good points, that?s why I like this place. I?m not looking to be that experimental and the investment is certainly a valid consideration. I?m not going to be the one to reinvent the wheel. It?ll be interesting to see if it gains any traction.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to actually getting into the game.

A good friend and rotary engine pioneer, Ed Anderson, once told me, "If you like to fly, put a Lycoming in your RV. If you like to tinker, put an alternative engine in it."

He had over 500 hours on his rotary powered RV and probably more RV glider time than anyone I know. Thankfully all ended with safe landings on runways.

How do the installed weights compare? CG?

A fully installed IO-540 is about 505 pounds with all accessories, mount and oil.

The AM20T should be about 360 pounds for the same installation, so a lot lighter and is shorter than an IO-540 with CG that may require extra weights to work - however, no one has completed this installation - it's a design number taking into account the prospective accessories and weights.

I spent a considerable amount of time reviewing, talking with Mark and laying out what a complete FWF package would be with a couple propeller options. Do note that a constant speed propeller will need to be electrically controlled; both Airmaster and MT have a package that will work, although I would tip towards the Airmaster as they were more willing to customize the installation for the RV-10.

I think it would be a fun build to install the AM20T on an RV-10, but it does take a considerable amount of time, engineering and effort to install an engine that the kit wasn't originally designed for. My RV-12 is a great airplane with my UL350, but even though it is an aircraft engine, it would have been much easier to go with the original Rotax design - just not as fun, satisfying for me, nor would I have the performance I currently enjoy.

While personally satisfying, your installation will be "swimming upstream" with the VAF crowd and resale may be impacted - of course, your build costs will be much less too, AND you may be building this for yourself, not the next buyer. There are lots of aspects to consider.

In the end, I decided to build an IO-540-X for my 10 as I just wanted to avoid the considerable time and effort it will take to get the AM20T fully vetted, even after the installation is worked out. I would not do something this experimental if it's a family hauler, or your thinking to fly hard IFR - over the mountains, at night.... but it's very doable, just a harder road with little support, especially from the standard builder community.

Last edited:
As often the case, it is the PSRU I would worry about. Maybe it is really good? How could we know?

As often the case, it is the PSRU I would worry about. Maybe it is really good? How could we know?

Mark is the engineer for his PSRU's and states that he has many of these in service, with multiple thousands of hours on some units.

If you want more detail, you can contact him here: AeroMomentum

I consider Mark a very credible individual with solid designs.

I took a bunch of pictures of the AM20T setup with PSRU at Oshkosh - it looks great.

I've chatted with Mark a few times about several subjects over the past several years. He's refreshingly straightforward and being a mechanical engineer, very knowledgeable. Few FWF vendors who brought products to market in the last 15 years or so had this background or experience. If anyone can do auto FWF packages right, Mark would be a good choice IMO.

That being said, no PSRU or engine package can be called reliable and durable until that's been demonstrated in the real world over some considerable time. The engine package being discussed here does not have anywhere near as much time on it as some of his smaller Suzuki packages which do have many thousands of hours collectively. The core engine passed some very tough durability testing by the OEM years back, running at full boost and redline rpm for 300 hours I believe and then some more testing above redline.

Last edited:
I am 99% sure there is currently someone out there building a -10 with a am20t... does anyone know who it is or if they are on here? Thanks!

I would also like to know if there are any updates on the am20 for the rv-10....really considering it. But need more "for sure" info 😆

Back