What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun & Fun

I sense a poll coming.

Here?s my 2 cents worth regarding the content of sun n fun
To lend a bit of credibility, I have attended SNF numerous times since the mid 1980s. Several of those years as a preshow setup volunteer, multiple offender builder, retired airline , AME.
I almost never watch the ?Airshow?, focusing on the home built planes, vendors and forums.
I have always felt the airshow dragged on for far too long, espec

What if we just had a few really hot acts on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for say, 2.5 hours, and saved the big stuff for the "stroller derby" on the weekend?

1.5 hours, start at noon, re-open the field at 1:30, through Friday. Keep the night shows. A 1:30 re-open offers a real window to arrive or depart in the afternoon, night show or not. Give 'em the whole five hour show on Saturday and Sunday.

Four to six great acts is plenty.

Sense a poll 2

To continue from a erroneous button push....
I mention the show is long and repetitive, with a lot of noise and movement restrictions,just my thought.
If I were king of the world, the zoom and boom show could be for the thrill seeking public, a separate ?Trade? show for the true enthusiasts.
I agree SNF has evolved from many years ago, for good or bad can only be assessed by individuals who may or may not participate.

Thanks for dropping in Greg

I appreciate you taking time to contribute to the discussion. We all recognize SnF caters to a diverse group of folks who all appreciate different aspects of aviation. We all have our preferences, only a few here think theirs should be accommodated at everyone else?s expense. I think the idea of the fly-in event separate from SnF as you suggested is great! I hope we can all help make it happen successfully.

I appreciate you taking time to contribute to the discussion. We all recognize SnF caters to a diverse group of folks who all appreciate different aspects of aviation. We all have our preferences, only a few here think theirs should be accommodated at everyone else?s expense. I think the idea of the fly-in event separate from SnF as you suggested is great! I hope we can all help make it happen successfully.

Kevin,

Thanks, really glad I joined, should have done it a long time ago. I don't mind the complaints - almost all of them have value that you can work from to solve a problem. What time of year do you think for that fly-in? The Old Farts Flying Club has about 70 aircraft that go somewhere almost every week, and a lot of them are builders. They've been several times and we've really enjoyed them. I bet they'd come -

Greg

Well Disney just announced it is closing the Florida parks....its hard to see how SnF can ignore that action....

BTW Greg - very glad to see you engaging with folks here and elsewhere, and hate to see the cards that you have to play on this hand....

I COMPLETELY agree with Dan Horton regarding airshow times. I'd like to see them shortened. Like Dan mentioned.... that would open up lots of time for arrivals and departures in the afternoon.

Talking about "Old Farts", I think this is largely age related.

Ever noticed how a kid can watch a movie over and over and over as if he's never seen it before?

Really a state of mind. "Can't want to attend this years event!" vs. "Been there, done that".

While a separate fly-in for home builders sounds like a good idea, part of the allure of Sun'n'Fun for me is the presence of small and big vendors.

So I need to stop being grumpy and instead start feeling and acting younger :)

I guess cutting back on the airshow wouldn't hurt. Haven't observed the crowd closely but suspect even newcomers may be getting restless after the first couple of hours.

Finn

I saw this posted on my AvWeb report this morning. This is part of a longer article by Paul Bertorelli:

[In the course of reporting on this story, I came across a quote from Dr. Anthony Fauci. You of course know who he is: head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases; the go-to guy for questions about epidemics. Here?s what he said on Tuesday: ?We can?t be doing the kinds of things we were doing a few months ago.? If that sounds a little oblique, let me translate. He wasn?t referring to handwashing. He?s signaling that social distancing?maybe aggressive social distancing?is coming and we all have a role to play. It means that if the coming shows?Sun ?n Fun and even AirVenture?are on your radar, you have a decision to make. We, as a news organization, won?t be attending Sun ?n Fun. AirVenture is too distant to decide at this juncture. As I was writing this blog, Florida governor Ron DeSantis urged organizers in the state to shut down events that will draw large crowds. No word from Sun ?n Fun on what they?ll do.]

Sun N Fun has a decision to make in regard to their venders, like Vans Aircraft, which maybe they already have. It might not even be in their hands since it?s such a large group of attendees over 6 days.

I agree

Apologies for my previous posting here. Apparently SNF was working on postponing the event

Last edited:
From another thread:

And another from right here on VAF (JonJay):

"I have 9 friends in quarantine, one in an induced coma fighting for his life. My old company is shut as one of the nine brought the virus back and potentially exposed more.... I still lease them my office building which is being sanitized as we speak.
Two days ago, I was laughing and joking with the rest of us. Not joking today.

You might take it more seriously if one, or several of your friends get sick, or die...

I would ask moderators to start shutting down these types of threads. They are not RV related or humorous to those directly impacted by this.
Sorry for the somber post, but it isn?t fun and games for some of us.

I know nobody here means any harm. Again, two days ago I was right there with you. Today I need prayers for my friends.

RV6 - Builder/Flying
Bucker Jungmann
Fiat G.46 -(restoration in progress, if I have enough life left in me)
RV1 - Proud Pilot."

Seeing as it?s kind of hard to understand truth from fiction regarding the Corona virus, I?ve decided to not attend SNF this year. I was scheduled to give a presentation on Condition Inspections, but seeing as the tent only holds 45 people I think that doing an EAA webinar on CI?s will give more people the chance to attend. That way we all win. 😄Scheduled it for May 27th.

Vic

Seeing as it?s kind of hard to understand truth from fiction regarding the Corona virus, I?ve decided to not attend SNF this year. I was scheduled to give a presentation on Condition Inspections, but seeing as the tent only holds 45 people I think that doing an EAA webinar on CI?s will give more people the chance to attend. That way we all win. 😄Scheduled it for May 27th.

Vic

Belvoir has decided that none of the staff from its aviation publications will be going either Vic, so I am staying home as well. I really like your idea of rescheduling the EAA tent talks as webinars - I was supposed to do ?Flight Testing 101?, and I?ll see if we cant find a date for that!

Paul

Up to date data, history, recommendations - worldwide for COVID19 and what we must do. This is as of today, Friday the 13th. Pilots have the dubious ability to spread this disease, and the the responsibility to mitigate the threat as much as possible.....

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-act-today-or-people-will-die-f4d3d9cd99ca

Very good article Scott. Thanks for posting it. Makes an excellent case for social distancing....and explains why, in detail.

Like most here, I hate to see it happen, but S&F should probably cancel.

Vic

Vic I have been studying every resource I can find and reading dispatches from medical experts in the hot zones, and I assure you this is a wise decision.
I've posted some resources on FB that illustrate the criticality of reducing the rate of spread of this virus right now. I know this an RV forum so I'll say no more.

At some point, the question will shift from whether SnF should cancel due to the virus or cancel due to all the cancellations.

It will also be interesting to see if a side effect will be the emergence of ad hoc webcasts from home. I'm almost done with my SnF presentation on Textbook vs Flight Test, presenting a half dozen phenomena that either aren't in the books or that indicate that my RV-9A never read the books -- all that backed up with video, digital flight data or both.

On another note, my church has just cancelled *every* meeting till Palm Sunday -- worship services, rehearsals, meetings, everything. First time I'll have had free Sundays since forever. Home Bible studies are recommended to do the same.

Ed

Ed,
Good point about having free time on Sundays. No reason we can?t collectively pray for our country before we go flying. Sounds like a blessing to me.

Dan,

Great input, and I agree on several levels, not so much on others. I think thinning the airshow back is needed, and as the guy who does the whole thing let me tell you, it would be a welcome break! But you're right, it does draw a crowd. What I have noticed is that people who are there for what you guys love pretty much ignore the show. What if we just had a few really hot acts on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday for say, 2.5 hours, and saved the big stuff for the "stroller derby" on the weekend? Half the week for the true aviators, and the other half for the casual enthusiasts that have the kids we want to engage? Interested in the group's opinion.

I really dont want to derail this thread to something it didnt start as, I have a couple of Ideas along the lines that have been floated about so i will send you and email with a few thoughts. i Really do enjoy SNF, It just didnt set real well where it has headed the last few years. there has to be a solution that will fit the business model, and keep it true to its roots.

bob burns
N82B rv4

I started this thread

I am the one that started this thread about the possibility of Sun & Fun closing die to the virus.
But I have privately communicated with Sun & Fun that the home built community was very, very unhappy with how the show has turned into something different.

I suggest members air it out. Because the Sun & Fun people feel what they are doing is twisted out of shape by us. I have read many threads on this forum about how people feel about Sun & Fun.

I would like to know what is right and what is it going to be in the future.
Thanks, Larry

ZYcxGaKl.png

To Greg (realizing Brian posted his statement),
Greg,
Thanks for providing a balancing voice to this whole discussion. I think you (Sun N Fun) has made a responsible choice. I hope this event happens at some point this year.. I?ll make every effort to be there, whether this year or next. I?m grateful you are listening to the concerns of our group dealing with home built camping/parking issues. And I hope you can get back to the grass roots level of older time Sun N Fun flyins. I think this can easily coexist with the needs of the Aeropace Center for Excellence. Limiting the Bling (high energy airshow element) may make things a little more enjoyable for everyone - your ACE students included.

I really dont want to derail this thread to something it didnt start as, I have a couple of Ideas along the lines that have been floated about so i will send you and email with a few thoughts. i Really do enjoy SNF, It just didnt set real well where it has headed the last few years. there has to be a solution that will fit the business model, and keep it true to its roots.

bob burns
N82B rv4

Bob,

I'd welcome that, and am anxious to get some of these ideas in play! It's a big field and a long week, plenty of room for everyone with the right strategy.

Greg

SUN 'n FUN - Now in May!

New VAF friends - I've been telling everyone I can what a great forum this is. Very forthright and candid, with great input and dialog. I really like being here and am just thrilled with the great ideas I've read in such a short time. Please keep the PMs and emails coming. I've already shared them with my team and we are getting some traction.

I'm pleased and terrified to confirm what was recently posted on our new dates. It's a big deal to move an event like this, but we are going to go for it. I'd like to ask you all to consider coming and bring your friends. This virus has sent the world into madness, and has put our little Fly-In in jeopardy. We've built a war chest since 2012 that was designed to help us get through an economic downturn, bad weather, or sequestration. But we've never planned to not have the event at all, or try to relocate it. All of our programs are at risk, and even the Fly-In itself. The DOD stand down is another hurdle, so now to boot we will have no military assets. So guess what? I'm betting there is a ton of room for homebuilts! I am redrawing the field and redesigning the airshow as I write this. Hopefully everyone we had in the show will be able to come and we can fulfill our commitments. With no military we have about 30 minutes a day back from the airshows. FAA, ATC, and all components have confirmed they can support the new dates, and I am resubmitting the waivers and rewriting the NOTAM.

By the way, I have gotten word that we will have a Pilot NOTAM from the FAA that will allow non-ADS-B Out aircraft to come to SnF unhindered. I will post it here on Monday or Tuesday when I get it. They really want to help us.

We're on, but it will be interesting to see what turnout we get. I'll be a little busy for a while, so please don't think I have just tuned out on you if I don't post for a while. If the virus has started to settle down and you feel it is safe to do so, I hope you can all join us May 5-10. We need you!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Greg

Well Disney just announced it is closing the Florida parks....its hard to see how SnF can ignore that action....

BTW Greg - very glad to see you engaging with folks here and elsewhere, and hate to see the cards that you have to play on this hand....

Thanks, Paul.

Thanks for the hard work, good luck....

...and see you there! Just made hotel reservations. The hotels hadn?t had time to jack the rates, or to impose nasty cancellation penalties or minimum stays. A hidden benefit of the rescheduling!!! :)

New VAF friends - I've been telling everyone I can what a great forum this is. Very forthright and candid, with great input and dialog. I really like being here and am just thrilled with the great ideas I've read in such a short time. Please keep the PMs and emails coming. I've already shared them with my team and we are getting some traction.

I'm pleased and terrified to confirm what was recently posted on our new dates. It's a big deal to move an event like this, but we are going to go for it. I'd like to ask you all to consider coming and bring your friends. This virus has sent the world into madness, and has put our little Fly-In in jeopardy. We've built a war chest since 2012 that was designed to help us get through an economic downturn, bad weather, or sequestration. But we've never planned to not have the event at all, or try to relocate it. All of our programs are at risk, and even the Fly-In itself. The DOD stand down is another hurdle, so now to boot we will have no military assets. So guess what? I'm betting there is a ton of room for homebuilts! I am redrawing the field and redesigning the airshow as I write this. Hopefully everyone we had in the show will be able to come and we can fulfill our commitments. With no military we have about 30 minutes a day back from the airshows. FAA, ATC, and all components have confirmed they can support the new dates, and I am resubmitting the waivers and rewriting the NOTAM.

By the way, I have gotten word that we will have a Pilot NOTAM from the FAA that will allow non-ADS-B Out aircraft to come to SnF unhindered. I will post it here on Monday or Tuesday when I get it. They really want to help us.

We're on, but it will be interesting to see what turnout we get. I'll be a little busy for a while, so please don't think I have just tuned out on you if I don't post for a while. If the virus has started to settle down and you feel it is safe to do so, I hope you can all join us May 5-10. We need you!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Greg

We had to cancel my mother's funeral. Her remains will be buried in a small ceremony attended by almost nobody.

It's funny how in the course of a few weeks, what disappoints you can change.

Good luck, everybody. Be safe. See you whenever.

Sun ‘n Fun has been Postponed according to AV-Web & S&F

Sun ‘n Fun Postponed Until May 5-10
Paul Bertorelli
March 13, 2020

Sun ‘n Fun has been postponed until May 5 to 10, 2020, on concerns over the spread of COVID-19. According to Tampa’s foxnews13, the city of Lakeland made the announcement on Friday morning. As of Friday afternoon, the Sun ‘n Fun organization hadn’t returned AVweb’s calls and emails for details on the rescheduling, but some exhibitors were aware of the change.

City authorities said Friday that a decision will be made on April 17 on whether another postponement will be necessary “depending on the virus and what happens between now and then.” The show was originally scheduled for March 31 to April 5. As numerous venues and events are being canceled or postponed in Florida and throughout the country, at least two exhibitors notified AVweb that they had canceled even before the postponement announcement. A third told us it was evaluating the situation.

Sun ‘n Fun has been Postponed according to AV-Web & S&F

Sun ‘n Fun Postponed Until May 5-10
Paul Bertorelli
March 13, 2020

Sun ‘n Fun has been postponed until May 5 to 10, 2020, on concerns over the spread of COVID-19. According to Tampa’s foxnews13, the city of Lakeland made the announcement on Friday morning. As of Friday afternoon, the Sun ‘n Fun organization hadn’t returned AVweb’s calls and emails for details on the rescheduling, but some exhibitors were aware of the change.

City authorities said Friday that a decision will be made on April 17 on whether another postponement will be necessary “depending on the virus and what happens between now and then.” The show was originally scheduled for March 31 to April 5. As numerous venues and events are being canceled or postponed in Florida and throughout the country, at least two exhibitors notified AVweb that they had canceled even before the postponement announcement. A third told us it was evaluating the situation.

Everyone knows. You’re 3 days and 10 posts late with that news.

Cancelled for 2020. See you next year.

https://flysnf.org/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXbmOpvxCOs&feature=emb_logo

I started (accidentally) volunteering at Sun n' Fun during the tornadoes in 2010, and have gone from gopher to working in Air Ops. While the show must normally go one, the organization has (correctly, I feel) decided to cancel the show for this year.

Sun n' Fun is a 501(c)3 charity. If you'd like to help support the organization and it's charitable efforts, please consider buying a cool 2020 t-shirt commemorating The Greatest Airshow that Never Happened.

2020%2Bshirt.jpg

----------the words in this post reflect my own opinion as a volunteer, and in no way, shape, or form be taken as an official communication from Sun n' Fun.------------

Last edited:
Back