What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fitting everything behind an RV-8 panel

Cannon

Well Known Member
I have a G3X Touch panel that I?ve finally mounted in the fuselage.

When Stein built the panel (which is beautiful), the harness lengths (12-18?) imply mounting most of the boxes immediately behind the panel, I suppose either attached to the next bulkhead or on mounts I?d fabricate between the bulkhead and crossbrace. The GTX45R and GTR20 are the biggest boxes by far and the two I most worry about. The others don?t concern me too much.

I need to mount a GTX45R, GTR20, GAD 29, GEA 24, grounding FOT and the avionics relay. None of them have harnesses long enough to mount very far away.

I could build an extension harness for either the GTX45 or GTR20, but both would require sourcing several connectors and pinning ~18 wires/shields.

What have others done?

i-xGsrBv8-M.jpg

Yes.. It will fit with planning...

Everything will Fit...

Consider making it a removable main panel..

I ended up making a 3/8" spacer to extend the panel a bit..

Link below to photo gallery...

Al

maintenance

Just a small suggestion - make sure when the top skin is on you can still get to everything relatively easily. I got this tip from Paul D to ensure that the harnesses are long enough so you can remove the panel and put it in your lap when sitting in the seat - that was excellent advice, and has served me dozens of times already.

laserman,

I love your RV-8 panel. Perfect. That's what I want. I am already flying mine with G3X but without a GPS navigator. I have been thinking about exactly the same layout as yours and I have a GTN 750 new in the box sitting here just waiting to be put in.

Jim

Thanks everyone.

Spent yesterday strategizing at the airport. Looks like the transponder and GTR 20 will go on a shelf attached to the crossbar like some of you have done. I can?t mount them to the bulkhead because the harnesses are about three inches too short. The GAD 29 & 27, and the GEA 24 will fit on the bulkhead.

Might need to temporarily remove the panel to install the nutplates for the new shelf, but that's easy at this point.

What is the thought about supporting the rear of the GTN 650? It?s somewhat heavy and I worry about aerobatic loads on the tray mounts, so I?m adding two supports to the rear. They will somewhat complicate future removal, even though they?re held in with nutplates that should be accessible from the seat.

Back