What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oxi-Meter & Covid-19!

PerfTech

Well Known Member
?.. I thought it worthwhile to pass along some information that may help put us
just a bit more at ease. In the process of talking with my doctor and some of his
colleagues, as well as my late wife's doctor, who treated her respiratory issues
for many years. I became privy to some very useful information that I think prudent
to pass along to our fellow pilots here on this forum. As most are aware we offer a very
good high quality Oxi-Meter on our website to monitor ones O-2 levels when flying
cross country or at higher altitudes. This little, inexpensive item can easily monitor
your oxygen saturation and let you know early if you are being oxygen compromised.
It is just another tool, like a thermometer Etc. that can possibly help you determine
if your lungs are being compromised, and provide you more to discuss with your doctor.
If you have purchased one of our meters, don't forget to get it out, and take advantage
of this invaluable information it can arm you with. If you do not have one, and would
like to, we have them available for immediate shipment on our website. Please don't
misinterpret the purpose of this post! It isn't to sell product, it is intended to inform
and possibly help others feel like they are a bit more in control of their world at this
ridiculously complicated time in our lives. You all take care. Thanks, Allan:)

also if you have a Samsung smartphone, your phone my have a 02 monitor as well; my s7 edge does anyway. Use the Samsung health app and select stress, and put your finger over the sensor; it will give you heart rate and oxygen %. I've used it a few times when flying high and seems to work well.

also if you have a Samsung smartphone, your phone my have a 02 monitor as well; my s7 edge does anyway. Use the Samsung health app and select stress, and put your finger over the sensor; it will give you heart rate and oxygen %. I've used it a few times when flying high and seems to work well.

Cool I had this app all the time but never used it until now. Got 98% o2 so I am good for now.

In my work as a CT/Xray technologist, I often saw people who's O2 saturation were low due to illness, or medication. I've also seen quite a few people with lung infections - CT is the gold standard for diagnosing and evaluating lung ailments.

I suspect that if your O2 sats are dropping because you have COVID-19, the fever, coughing and labored breathing will be evidence enough.

Just a comment on Alan's pulse oximeter... Have had one now for several years. In fact I purchased it very shortly after he started to offer them. It's a good unit that provides solid results. Ours is checked regularly against hospital equipment as my wife has respiratory challenges. We rarely see even a 1% difference between our oximeter and the hospital gear.

Surprisingly, this unit is on its original battery. I don't even know what type of battery it takes!

Just a quick O2 saturation question. How low is "too low"? I've seen as low as 88% when around 11,000 MSL with no supplemental oxygen. I felt fine, but wondered what the standard is. At what percentage should a person become worried?

Just a quick O2 saturation question. How low is "too low"? I've seen as low as 88% when around 11,000 MSL with no supplemental oxygen. I felt fine, but wondered what the standard is. At what percentage should a person become worried?

Even small decreases in your baseline O2 saturation can affect visual accuity, particularly night vision. But, here's what the published data says:

image18.png

By the way, I mean no disrespect to Alan, or his products. Its just hard not to respond. I've seen and heard so much from friends and acquaintances about supposed miracle cures for and conspiracy theories about the pandemic, I guess I've let some of my responses get a little snarky.

I'm really glad I left the job when I did. I do not envy my former coworkers at all right now!

--Stay safe!

i've talked to medical people from the e.r.. sounds like an spo2 detector is a warning sign that the disease has become severe enough that previously symptomatic has now become a factor to your lung function and patient will become critically ill within 48 hrs. it makes sense because this virus kills people by not allowing lungs to grab enough o2 from the air. a normal spo2 is 95-99%. if these sats drop below 90% it is an indication that the virus has already taken hold of your lung function and patient will deteriorate very quickly after this.

The chart says to Initiate 02 at 94%? Hmm....must have been sponsored by RT’s and O2 suppliers.

To give yourself a good idea about how happy your body is at a sat of 88% try holding your breath long enough to get your sat down to that level. Assuming you are starting with normal lung function I will bet that you aren?t able to do it.

To give yourself a good idea about how happy your body is at a sat of 88% try holding your breath long enough to get your sat down to that level. Assuming you are starting with normal lung function I will bet that you aren?t able to do it.

to be fair that's a false premise, the urge to breath comes from the buildup of CO2 way more than the depletion of oxygen. the world record for breath holding is over 22 minutes.

So while I agree the body isn't happy at 88% and we probably should be looking for supplemental 02 while flying if we're approaching 90%, it has nothing to do with holding breath.

to be fair that's a false premise, the urge to breath comes from the buildup of CO2 way more than the depletion of oxygen. the world record for breath holding is over 22 minutes.

So while I agree the body isn't happy at 88% and we probably should be looking for supplemental 02 while flying if we're approaching 90%, it has nothing to do with holding breath.

That?s true. It was a misthought exercise. I think a more important point is below 90% your starting to get into the steep part of the 02-Hb dissociation curve where further decreases in 02 sat are indicative of rapid drops in arterial 02 levels. People that are satisfied there because they ?feel? ok are on a slippery slope. Personally I would supplement at 90% minimum and in fact I would probably stick prongs on a 92%.

That’s true. It was a misthought exercise. I think a more important point is below 90% your starting to get into the steep part of the 02-Hb dissociation curve where further decreases in 02 sat are indicative of rapid drops in arterial 02 levels. People that are satisfied there because they “feel” ok are on a slippery slope. Personally I would supplement at 90% minimum and in fact I would probably stick prongs on a 92%.

Nailed it. Most people are unaware that oxygen saturation as measured by the oximeter SaO2 (amount of oxygen bound to hemoglobin) is not the same thing as oxygen concentration PO2 (partial pressure of oxygen in blood). The oxyhemoglobin dissociation curve (you can google it) describes this relationship. As oxygen saturation drops below 90, the ability of blood to efficiently deliver oxygen to tissue rapidly falls off. 90% is a reasonable target but I agree just a little higher is better. Even though you may feel great and function well at 88-89% it's still - as Randy said - very close to the edge where things can go bad quickly if it drops just a little more.

Thanks for that post.

Last edited:
Good discussion. Thanks guys. Just for fun I read an article in the March 30 Lancet that contains a definition of "critical" with respect to viral pneumonia such as COVID-19:

"The case definition adopted in China and elsewhere includes further
stratification of cases as severe (defined as tachypnoea [≥30 breaths per min], oxygen saturation ≤93% at rest, or PaO2/FiO2 ratio <300 mm Hg)."​

I'm not a doctor, just a dumb pilot. But I do like to read! :)

O2 meter

My condolences to Allan, it?s a hard road. I was on a trip to Sheridan, Wy. With my wife, 63 years old, non, smoker. We checked her O2 level because she didn?t feel well and she had lived in Wyoming most of her life. Her O-2 was 85. One month later, back in Texas she was diagnosed with lung cancer and died 93 days later. The O-2 level was the first indication of a problem. She was in good physical shape.

Know what your normal is at home elevation. As you may have heard, one of our RV formation leads (Yobo) tracked his 02 from a normal of 98 down to 90 and was admitted when it dropped into the 80s. Was placed on ventilator within 24 hours. Has been unconscious on vent. for 6 of the typical 10-14 days if things go right.
Pulse oxymeter is another great tool just like a thermometer. Prayers for Yobo appreciated.

… Wow, you are correct, they all (34) sold yesterday and last night totally
depleting our stock. I will get more on the way. Thanks, Allan..:D

That's it, first the water and toilet paper, now the oxygen sensors. You guys gotta quit hoarding this stuff!

Pssst, Hey Allan, I want one too!

-Marc

Last edited:
That's it, first the water and toilet paper, now the oxygen sensors. You guys gotta quit hoarding this stuff!

Pssst, He Allan, I want one too!

-Marc

I bought one over the summer for $20. Can't find one on amazon now for less than $60. So much for amazon's pledge to prevent their partners from gouging.

Larry

Ok. I've got an S 7 edge. But darn if I can find what you're talking about. Looked everywhere. Can you help? maybe with a private email?

Ok. I've got an S 7 edge. But darn if I can find what you're talking about. Looked everywhere. Can you help? maybe with a private email?

You can download the app from the playstore. It resides in the Samsung App folder. I don't know how accurate it is but it does seem to work. It's the "stress test".

Apple too

For those that drink from the Apple, there is an app, Pulse Oximeter, that
uses the camera and flash. $4.99 at the app store.

O2 meter & Samsung Galaxy S7

Checked my Samsung Galaxy S7 with Samsung Health app.

Elevation: 600 ft - close to DFW airport
O2 reading: 99%
Heart Rate: 47 bpm

Need to hoard another device to verify readings :).

After measuring I jumped to my running shoes and went running for little over 11 miles.

I saw once at Aldi selling O2 / Heart Rate finger readers for $18.

Stay safe!

In my work as a CT/Xray technologist, I often saw people who's O2 saturation were low due to illness, or medication. I've also seen quite a few people with lung infections - CT is the gold standard for diagnosing and evaluating lung ailments.

I suspect that if your O2 sats are dropping because you have COVID-19, the fever, coughing and labored breathing will be evidence enough.

A quick google search reveals the bulk of the medical community agrees with you. I found none that recommended their use and a few that recommended against using them as a home Covid-19 diagnostic tool, for a variety of reasons.

COVID

The typical finding is a much lower oxygen saturation than the person affected by COVID feels like it should be. Most feel pretty good with saturations well below the normal tolerances. No one seems to know why-there are theories about microvascular changes and other factors. I last treated a COVID patient about an hour ago and am who suggested to Yobo that he follow his O2 sat that led to him going to the hospital earlier than he thought that he needed to go. I am a believer in the use of an oximeter in someone who is knowledgeable about their use. YMMV.

John

Thanks, John. My morning routine now is a cuppa and a SpO2% check, seems like knowing one's baseline is a good thing these days (sorta like blood pressure for many). 98 today!

FYI - I've had Galaxy phones all along. My S8 had an accurate pulse ox. Mine was always 98-100%.. I went to the dr. a few weeks ago and my reading was 100%. I now have a S10+ and the pulse ox is under the "Stress" measurement and it doesn't work worth a $*$&. Mine says my oxygen level is 85%, if it can even take a reading. I think the functionality worked on the older phones, and it doesn't work on the S10. Don't know about the newest S20 yet.

You can download the app from the playstore. It resides in the Samsung App folder. I don't know how accurate it is but it does seem to work. It's the "stress test".

A general rule of thumb is a decrease in pO2 saturation of 1% point per 1k of altitude with sea level at 99%. Living at increased altitudes results in multiple compensatory physiological changes such as higher levels of Hgb and increased cardiac stroke volumes.
The most useful advice would be to become familiar with your daily steady state readings. A decreasing trend of pO2 along with an increase in respiratory and/or heart rate would suggest intervention.

CBS This Morning today (Thurs 4/23/2020) interviewed a Doctor on what we now know about how to treat patients.

He brought up Oxi-Meter's are key to monitoring health. Apparently when people have problems breathing they had been showing loss of blood O2 a week prior. People are walking in with 50% O2 (equiv of top of Mount Everest). Demand will go way up now.

Another interesting fact, 3 out of 4 patents intubation is not needed or as effective as other therapy. Instead using positions and movement to clear the lungs is more effective than intubation.

......intubation is not needed or as effective as other therapy. Instead using positions and movement to clear the lungs is more effective than intubation.

NO thats not what he said. The purpose is to catch your falling O2 level and get on oxygen, lung clearing etc before your are beyond that kind of help and the only solution for you is intubation or death. The key to the story is early intervention and a home pulse Ox, like a thermometer, is useful for that.

However, it appears that a run on Pulse Ox devices has already happened.

O2 meter saved me!!

I WOULD get an O2 meter ? the meter and Doc Owen might have saved my life.

My nurse (daughter of couple in my Sunday School class and praying with her is my last memory) told me after I woke up and after 9 days on a ventilator that if I had had waited 3-6 more hours, I might not have made it through the first night.

I had a little cough and a fever which was kept under control with Tylenol. My O2 level is normally 98-99%. Four days into my fever my levels had dropped into the low 90% range. No breathing issues and no shortness of breath and 101 fever. Doc Owen told me to go to the hospital and so I went. A few hours later in the ER without supplemental O2 I was 88%. My lungs were not working correctly but I wouldn?t have noticed (kind of like Gash at altitude). Less than 24 hours later, I was on a ventilator and fighting for my life with thousands of prayer warriors. I am a healthy 57 year old and no idea why I got hit like brick ? but I did. Out of the hospital now and recovering. With lots of prayer, hopefully, it will be a complete recovery. Now, I track my pulse, O2 level, and body temp at least 3-4 times daily to catch a relapse early. My daily O2 has bumped from average 93-94% to 96%.

Is the O2 meter required, No. Is it a fabulous tool to measure lung efficiency or capacity ? YES! Like most medical things, there is not one measurement to identify or fix a problem. Same as fixing a plane ? There is not 1 tool to diagnose or fix a problem. The O2 meter is just one tool for helping you decide if medical attention is needed. For me, I am posting this because Doc Owen is a trusted friend and gave me great advice AND measuring my O2 level. My next purchase ? a blood pressure cup for $40-$70!

Your call on whether an O2 meter is needed. It?s just another tool. But when I was sick, it was the indicator for me that pushed me to the ER. Yes, I am like most Pilots, I avoid doctors and hospitals like the plague but this time it saved my life!

For me, everyday is a great day to be alive and I praise the Lord daily for that opportunity!

Yobo

Great post Yobo! I'm glad you're on the mend, and I'll look forward to seeing you out on the line hopefully soon.

NO thats not what he said. The purpose is to catch your falling O2 level and get on oxygen, lung clearing etc before your are beyond that kind of help and the only solution for you is intubation or death. The key to the story is early intervention and a home pulse Ox, like a thermometer, is useful for that.

However, it appears that a run on Pulse Ox devices has already happened.
No I said one thing I found interesting correctly, intubation (forced mechanical ventilation) in his opinion was not as effective in 75% of the patient as alternate treatment. I did NOT recount the whole interview and never said he didn't mention O2.

What he said about positional therapy is to get the parts of lung not damaged cleared up and become more effective, in his opinion and observation, was better than intubation in many patients (yes with low flow O2 not forced). This is clearly not a controlled study; it's his opinion. That was the point I was highlighting. In his opinion 25% need to go on mechanical ventilation imminently who need it. 75% who can breath normally but have low O2 should be put on O2. That does not take a MD to figure out. However he goes on, moving patient who can still breath, to allow undamaged parts to work better was the takeaway I got. If you force O2 into a compromised lung that still has function it could damage it more, because the lung is doing all it can already. Doctors are truly baffled and don't know.

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200407/doctors-puzzle-over-covid19-lung-problems

Last edited:
I WOULD get an O2 meter ? the meter and Doc Owen might have saved my life.

My next purchase ? a blood pressure cup for $40-$70!

For me, everyday is a great day to be alive and I praise the Lord daily for that opportunity!

Yobo

You're making a great recovery Yobo.
Doc Owen is going to tell you the cup goes in your pants and the $40 cuff goes on your arm. Have fun with that!

Pretty much any Covid-19 related medical supplies/equipment will be out of stock online. Either because they are indeed out of stock or because there is restricted purchasing (e.g. for medical professionals, etc.)

I was able to order one from another site a few days ago but it look me a good hour to find a website that seemed to have a legit pulse oximeter.

Be cautious of buying them on eBay and Amazon right now since there are a lot of bad quality products being sold. A sure-fire way of spotting is when the seller is a brand new account or a product only has 6 or five-star reviews in the two days prior to you finding it.

I've been using one of these more for resting HR/recovery for running, but I do keep one on in my flight bag too. keeping a baseline for pulse/02 has helped me not train too hard on days I have a higher HR. The o2 seems to vary a bit but 98-99 seems pretty much the norm.

Not sure if there is any correlation between HR and O2 but I have a pretty low resting HR in the 36-40 range (I run a fair amount and cycle some too) but when I am 36-37 I am usually 98% but at 38+ I go to 99%.

I thought about installing the Guardian unit in my plane, but at $1K seems pretty steep steep and I can buy a lot of the portables for that :)

https://www.guardianavionics.com/aero-455-panel-pulse-oximeter-co-detector-tso-certified-aircraft

Last edited:
I've been using one of these more for resting HR/recovery for running, but I do keep one on in my flight bag too. keeping a baseline for pulse/02 has helped me not train too hard on days I have a higher HR. The o2 seems to vary a bit but 98-99 seems pretty much the norm.

Not sure if there is any correlation between HR and O2 but I have a pretty low resting HR in the 36-40 range (I run a fair amount and cycle some too) but when I am 36-37 I am usually 98% but at 38+ I go to 99%.

I thought about installing the Guardian unit in my plane, but at $1K seems pretty steep steep and I can buy a lot of the portables for that :)

https://www.guardianavionics.com/aero-455-panel-pulse-oximeter-co-detector-tso-certified-aircraft

That is a good one. The plethysmography (the squiggly line at the bottom which should correspond with you pulse and indicates a good reading) is a good option to have. Nice job of getting your fitness to a level that you have that pulse rate! There are people who get pacemakers for that rate if it isn't slowed due to fitness.

Be safe.
John

That is a good one. The plethysmography (the squiggly line at the bottom which should correspond with you pulse and indicates a good reading) is a good option to have. Nice job of getting your fitness to a level that you have that pulse rate! There are people who get pacemakers for that rate if it isn't slowed due to fitness.

Be safe.
John

Back