What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Arm rest twist

mattasmith12

I am prepping components for final assembly into the frame. Each armrest has a twist along the length from the forming process. I've looked through the assembly instructions and drawings for direction on how to straighten them...no luck. My inclination is to make a few flutes on the flange.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

Many thanks and I hope you're all doing well.

Matt

Now is the time to give yourself some extra space by cutting the arm rest down and replace the formed lip with a piece of angle. You will never place your arm there, it will only be your elbow and it does not need all that wide of a rest.

Beef it up with angle, or put a gusset to the skin under the rest.
You or someone WILL put weight on it, and it will not like it as designed. (it will bend)
Now is the time.

I saw a really nice mod someone did where they bought a second set of armrests, flipped them upside-down and nested them inside the normal armrest, and riveted them along the flange. I assume they also added a 0.032 spacer at the skin to account for the difference of nesting one inside the other. This is a very effective solution, it also removes the sharpish edge facing down and turns the armrest into a box structure.

Thanks all

I like the idea of a second armrest... I wonder how long I'd have to wait to get one for a 6. I'll likely end up going the aluminum angle route since I have quite a bit of that laying around.

Back